What crab is this?

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few of these in with my live rock and the biggest one I saw was a little over half an inch.
8D2FC4D5-0B4B-4A89-B785-937C67C4ED45.jpeg
6A532A0C-146B-43E6-B027-821CD2C0E959.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size do they become bad, and is it one google it says they are poisonous. Is this true?
They're bad from the outset, and will eat all inverts and even small fish as they grow. Yes, they are poisonous - but this is more with consumption, ie: don't try to cook and eat these crabs.

Upvote 1

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the paramount omnivore as far as hitch hikers go. They will gladly eat any fish they can catch, hermits, snails and dont shy away from corals if they are hungry.
Crap. I also got a few of these. are they hard to catch? how big do they get, and how big of a fish can they eat?

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap. I also got a few of these. are they hard to catch? how big do they get, and how big of a fish can they eat?
They can be hard to trap, but do a few searches for crab trap and you'll find some helpful suggestions. How big? Probably fist size eventually, so whatever they can catch...

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My smallest fish is two inches how big would it need to be to eat it?
This is directly proportional to how slow the fish is and how hungry/motivated the crab is. But I imagine a 1.5-2" crab might take a swipe at it.

Upvote 0

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not always about how close in size the crab is to the fish. Its about opportunity. The crab can hide all day, and it takes one wrong move from a fish that is small enough to be immobilized by a good pinch. Even these small crabs pack a punch with their claws. if they could pinch you, trust me you would feel it. Ask anyone whos been pinched by a large emerald crab, its not the greatest experience trust me. If the crab gets a good pinch in, it will bring the fish close, pinch with the other claw, and then eat it alive. It sounds gruesome, but thats how they do it.

Upvote 0

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not always about how close in size the crab is to the fish. It’s about opportunity. The crab can hide all day, and it takes one wrong move from a fish that is small enough to be immobilized by a good pinch. Even these small crabs pack a punch with their claws. if they could pinch you, trust me you would feel it. Ask anyone whos been pinched by a large emerald crab, it’s not the greatest experience trust me. If the crab gets a good pinch in, it will bring the fish close, pinch with the other claw, and then eat it alive. It sounds gruesome, but thats how they do it.
So as long as the fish only swims in the water Column and doesn’t lay down it be fine?

Upvote 0

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as long as the fish only swims in the water Column and doesn’t lay down it be fine?
As stated,In short they attack the fish when they sleep and lights r off. Believe me they r a terror. I hv cought 15 till now. U may see some fishes can kill them but none will eat them. Your small fishes will be in a great danger. U can see these crabs hiding in rock holes. If u see your fishes suddenly disappearing, that means crab has eaten your fish. U may also see some 'moults'. Sometimes, U can see them in night with red flashlight.

If u see one gorilla crab u may also hv more. U can identify these crabs with their 'sharp' claws. Crabs which feeds on algae, their claws r not sharp, they r kind of flat claws.

Upvote 0

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated,In short they attack the fish when they sleep and lights r off. Believe me they r a terror. I hv cought 15 till now. U may see some fishes can kill them but none will eat them. Your small fishes will be in a great danger. U can see these crabs hiding in rock holes. If u see your fishes suddenly disappearing, that means crab has eaten your fish. U may also see some 'moults'. Sometimes, U can see them in night with red flashlight.

If u see one gorilla crab u may also hv more. U can identify these crabs with their 'sharp' claws. Crabs which feeds on algae, their claws r not sharp, they r kind of flat claws.
What fish will kill gorilla crabs?

Upvote 0

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish will kill gorilla crabs?
It's depend on individual. Aggressive fishes sometimes kill gorilla but you may don't want that kind of fish in your tank. My cinnamon clown used to kill gorilla crabs but it also killed many fishes so best way is to try to remove those crabs.

Also fish only kills the crab. They will never consume gorilla crabs. May be coz of the toxin it contains. Gorilla crabs can also harm your invertebrates, if u hv any. They'll also multiply faster. Triggers r known to eat these but will also harm your invertebrates

Last edited:
Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back