What Crab

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got this crab from @reefcleaners as a spotted porcelain crab. But that crab ia up to 7-8mm wide, according to Wikipedia, and this one is easily 10 times the size. this one does appear to filter feed.

Sorry the picture is not very good. I may have to ask again when I can get a better pic.

B708C250-92BE-435A-A8CE-15C45C42C0EF.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of these. They’re the size of a dime. One has been with me for over a year now and has grown quite a bit. Maybe nickel sized now. Sorry for poor picture but this is all I have.

D61D8307-5CE2-41F9-AC16-A8DC1F383A8E.jpeg

reefcleaners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is Petrolisthes galathinus, you may see different color variations with image searches. Scientists are still debating whether they should make them different species or just accept that there is variability within the species:

This ^ guy wants each different color to be its own species.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John Maloney FTW- thanks! Well, at least it really was what you said it was, since I rechecked my order and it indeed was a blue porcelain crab not the other one. o_O

The main author of that study is actually a girl, and in a quick google search for the species I found she'd done like half a dozen different articles on porcelain crabs. Some things I've found:

- there are of course many species
- galathinus as she says is a species complex
- galathinus can be found from like 1 m down to like 50m.
- porcelain crabs are not true crabs, but a kind of lobster that evolved into a crab. (which kind of makes sense when you look at them)

- they supposedly get up to 1" wide according to a lot of vendor sites, but mine is easily twice that. I'll try to catch him again and measure him.

reefcleaners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh I think I read it as Alexander at first. They usually measure the carapace in journals rather than the total width of the crab so you have to subtract the claws.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the IDs. Unfortunately, the week after I posted this I had a massive tank crash and almost everything died. :(

I did recover their bodies. Interestingly, they had two different patterns (two different species?)

They were pretty cryptic; I saw them maybe once a month. But they survived well; they were at least six months in the tank, while I thought they had died long ago, they were still alive and had grown bigger since I got them. I did lose one of the three I originally ordered, and thought that I found enough empty carapaces, etc. to count all three dead but it seems those were just moltings. (I'm surprised that they look pretty lifelike. None of the other hermits, shrimp, crawfish I've previously had in this tank (or other tanks with the crawfish) molted like that.

The big one was big, but if measurement is only the carapace then he falls in the stated size range.

Anyway, cool critters regardless.

IMG_2230.png

Fresh_Water Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the IDs. Unfortunately, the week after I posted this I had a massive tank crash and almost everything died. :(

I did recover their bodies. Interestingly, they had two different patterns (two different species?)

They were pretty cryptic; I saw them maybe once a month. But they survived well; they were at least six months in the tank, while I thought they had died long ago, they were still alive and had grown bigger since I got them. I did lose one of the three I originally ordered, and thought that I found enough empty carapaces, etc. to count all three dead but it seems those were just moltings. (I'm surprised that they look pretty lifelike. None of the other hermits, shrimp, crawfish I've previously had in this tank (or other tanks with the crawfish) molted like that.

The big one was big, but if measurement is only the carapace then he falls in the stated size range.

Anyway, cool critters regardless.

IMG_2230.png

what exactly happened to the tank?

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what exactly happened to the tank?

I need to do my final post-mortem, come to think of it........

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back