What CUC and how much for 55gallon

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 55 gallon tank and it’s been running for about a month and a half I’ve had the 2 clowns in there for a week and everything looks good apart from lots of algae so I think it’s time for some snails
What type is the best for this type of algae (that can right themselves) and how many do you recommend I get?
I also want different types like nassarius for sand bed, dwarf ceriths for small spaces, trochus for bigger areas E.g.

I’m planning on getting a blood shrimp and a pincushion or tuxedo urchin when I can also

And I want to stay away from hermits as much as I love watching them last time I had them they would just eat all of my snails if they fell on their backs
Sorry I forgot to attach a picture before this is the algae and I clean it off the glass as much as I can daily

image.jpg

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pencil urchins have been reported to eat some species of coral, though, so they're probably something of a risk in a reef tank. Tuxedo urchins are much safer, although they will certainly pick up anything not firmly glued to a rock and carry it around -- a habit almost equally annoying as eating them.

Stay away from fire urchins. I have one, and it's spectacular, but it ate my feather duster and goes after meaty scraps with scary enthusiasm.

Rico's Reefnecks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna second reefcleaners as a great option to set you up - John has packs pre-made by tank size, or you can put together your own. Can't beat the price, happy critters and good selection - you'll find lots of positive reviews for him on this site and others.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 ceriths
10 nerite
4 sand snails
1 pencil urchin
2 top crown snails
I'd add 1-2 conches and substitute 60 of the 75 cerith snails for a dozen nassarius snails, a dozen ring cowries, a dozen spiny astrea snails and a dozen trochus snails.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back