What disease does my Kole tang have and fox face acting alittle weird

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who my water is dirty good thing I'm changing it also do you recommend any other filters for my tank
I don't, but others may have other input.

I am not a big fan of skimmers but it might work well in your case.

I will leave to others to suggest what types of filtration you might use.

For reference I don't use any filters. I let the rock do the heavy lifting.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa my water is dirty good thing I'm changing it also do you recommend any other filters for my tank

20220122_195956.jpg

HOB skimmer and HOB seachem tidal since it seems you don’t have a sump. This would at least increase and remove debris.

I would not use a canister and you can buy cheap powerheads on Amazon. You need flow to keep debris stirred up so a hob filter can remove it. Then you change the floss in the filter every 3 days and you can add carbon bag to it as well.

The main reason we don’t often use canisters in reef aquaria is you need to clean them often and opening them up all the time is a huge pain. A hob filter you can just reach and grab media and replace.

Flow is important for your biological filtration!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk your budget but if you buy cheap poweheads.. avoid the ones with the suction cups and get ones with magnets for a few dollars more. The cups eventually fail.

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW.

See all those bubbles on the surface?

That is another indication that there is something decaying in your tank. I would do another 40 or 50% water change your tank is going to crash and you need to intervene immediately.

This is my beef with canister filters. They don't really do anything. You really need more flow in that tank. Get some cheap power heads that can move some water. You can keep the canister filter, but I would recommend getting rid of it. It isn't really helping.

Not to beat a dead horse (as I beat the dead horse) but your tank is crashing. Also as I said before there is something decaying. Get those shrimp out they are very high nutrient, if there is anything else that you can see vaccum it out.

I had a customer's tank a long time ago and his roommate fed shrimp while he was gone. The next day everything was dead. This isn't something to be trifled with.
I just did a 40% water change there still is bubble but they're not as bad as before I did the change the water is cloudy still but that's because the sand got disturbed while I was doing it so ima wait till tomorrow for all the sand so settle down so I can see how better the tank got

Attachments

• 20220122_203837.jpg
    20220122_203837.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about oxygen with what looks like a bacterial bloom.

what size tank and what fish are in it?
I was checking on my kole tang and he is now scratching his eye with his fin. I belive its flukes because it's only in one eye but I used prazipro for a week and a half I stopped treatment friday because he didnt scratch on wensday until today but know he is scratching. if the flukes resistant to the prazi if what other medication should I use. Or should I treat it again?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking on my kole tang and he is now scratching his eye with his fin. I belive its flukes because it's only in one eye but I used prazipro for a week and a half I stopped treatment friday because he didnt scratch on wensday until today but know he is scratching. if the flukes resistant to the prazi if what other medication should I use. Or should I treat it again?

When you say you treated for a week and a half. How did you treat? Was it one dose or more?

Prazipro is probably contributing to your bacterial bloom. It is broken down by bacteria. Adding more to an already cloudy tank and you are risking suffocating your fish.

If it is flukes and you didn’t redose a week in then it’s very possible you missed eggs hatching. Since it is broken down by bacteria. You need to redose about a week in.

Like In said though… it can cause blooms as bacteria breaks it down which can lower oxygen and kill fish.

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you treated for a week and a half. How did you treat? Was it one dose or more?

Prazipro is probably contributing to your bacterial bloom. It is broken down by bacteria. Adding more to an already cloudy tank and you are risking suffocating your fish.

If it is flukes and you didn’t redose a week in then it’s very possible you missed eggs hatching. Since it is broken down by bacteria. You need to redose about a week in.

Like In said though… it can cause blooms as bacteria breaks it down which can lower oxygen and kill fish.
I did one dose last week then another dose this teusday. I did almost kill all my fish in the first week of dosage because I was stupid and didn't put any oxygen in the tank. But for the second dose I did put a air big air stone in it and my fish were doing fine . But it was only for 4 days then I did a water change on Friday because my tank was horribly cloudy. So I don't think I did it long enough

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole tang is aslo starting to twitch so s hould i put prazi in the tank again

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole tang is aslo starting to twitch so s hould i put prazi in the tank again
That suggests another disease and since it’s a tang, it seems like ich is going to be on the rise soon. I’d recommend doing another dose of prazi yes

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my advice it is going to be controversial, but I will provide.

Put both air stones in the tank. Get some powerheads ASAP. Get rid of the canister filter. Get a HOB skimmer ASAP. Keep changing the water 20-40% everyday until the tank stops being cloudy. STOP treating your tank with ANY medications you are making things worse doing this.

You need to get a better handle on your husbandry. This is THE single cause that is making your tank to have disease, and will utlimately kill your fish.

@brandon429

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might be best for you to start up a new thread under the Fish Disease section. It sounds like you have tried a lot of things and now it's getting all muddled across this thread as to what you did and when and this is such a new tank.

You need to list:
1. Your tank specs including size, the filtration you have (pumps, airstones, powerheads, etc.), live rock or dry rock and how old the tank is (I think you said 3 months).
2. Confirm when your cycle finished.
3. If you only have fish list these levels (do an updated test): ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph as well as the test kits used (I think you said API).
4. Tank inhabitants.
5. Did you quarantine them first. If so how and for how long?
6. List the affected inhabitants and their symptoms and how long they've had the symptoms.
7. List everything you have done in order and for how long including types of medication with dosages, water changes, etc.
8. Post clear pictures of affected inhabitants under white lights and a video of you can get one. Also post a full tank shot under white lights.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well more prazi will only feed your bacterial bloom and I wouldn’t trust one air stone. You might suffocate your fish.

You can’t visibly see most flukes and we can’t get good photos with the cloudy tank so we technically don’t know exactly what we are treating.

Tank is simply too new to handle the medication. Clearly evidenced by a bloom.

Not having powerheads is no good.

The fish need to go into a proper QT for treatment where there won’t be bacteria to break down the meds. The tank could use some upgrades in flow as well.

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well more prazi will only feed your bacterial bloom and I wouldn’t trust one air stone. You might suffocate your fish.

You can’t visibly see most flukes and we can’t get good photos with the cloudy tank so we technically don’t know exactly what we are treating.

Tank is simply too new to handle the medication. Clearly evidenced by a bloom.

Not having powerheads is no good.

The fish need to go into a proper QT for treatment where there won’t be bacteria to break down the meds. The tank could use some upgrades in flow as well.
I just bought a power head and Skimmer on Amazon and I is arriving today. I do have a qt but I have a biota yellow tang in there that doesn't seem to have a disease but I dont want to to risk it getting flukes or whatever my kole tang has. But I do have an spongefilter and a 5 Gallon bucket and an extra heater so could I put the kole tang in there since that is the only fish affected

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a power head and Skimmer on Amazon and I is arriving today. I do have a qt but I have a biota yellow tang in there that doesn't seem to have a disease but I dont want to to risk it getting flukes or whatever my kole tang has. But I do have an spongefilter and a 5 Gallon bucket and an extra heater so could I put the kole tang in there since that is the only fish affected

All fish are considered infected since they are sharing water. Glad you bought some upgrades. It will help with oxygen.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back