What disease is this? Lymphocystis?

BMDinh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had clown fish in the quarantine tank for four weeks now. The first four days I used copper power on the clown fish, but took it away because they were not eating. I noticed that the clown fish were pooping, white stringy poop, so I treat them with kana Plex. After a week I put the clown fish into my display tank ( does not have livestock) for 16 mins but took it out because I noticed that the nitrites were above 5 PPM. I decided to treat the clown fish with copper power (2.5ppm) to complete the QT cycle. About a week later, I noticed that the (mostly the male) clownfish had fin rot and white dots at the end of the tails and fins. About four days later, I did a fresh water dip on the male clown fish because it had a lot of fin rot and white dots at the end of the tail, the next day the male clown fish died. A week later (Now) the female clown fish is showing signs of white dots at the end of its tail and fins. Im dosing the qt with copper power (2.5 ppm).I was wondering if there’s any parasites in the display tank and what is the disease?
FFB899DC-BE9E-4186-878D-069B4455231B.jpeg
D57F8E17-E7ED-487B-99C1-A7B42A22E70F.jpeg
8F6F6709-BFC5-40B6-901B-417D8FD92ADA.jpeg
5282FE9D-0BD3-446D-BD92-B5FA81AB82E7.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had clown fish in the quarantine tank for four weeks now. The first four days I used copper power on the clown fish, but took it away because they were not eating. I noticed that the clown fish were pooping, white stringy poop, so I treat them with kana Plex. After a week I put the clown fish into my display tank ( does not have livestock) for 16 mins but took it out because I noticed that the nitrites were above 5 PPM. I decided to treat the clown fish with copper power (2.5ppm) to complete the QT cycle. About a week later, I noticed that the (mostly the male) clownfish had fin rot and white dots at the end of the tails and fins. About four days later, I did a fresh water dip on the male clown fish because it had a lot of fin rot and white dots at the end of the tail, the next day the male clown fish died. A week later (Now) the female clown fish is showing signs of white dots at the end of its tail and fins. Im dosing the qt with copper power (2.5 ppm).I was wondering if there’s any parasites in the display tank and what is the disease?
FFB899DC-BE9E-4186-878D-069B4455231B.jpeg
D57F8E17-E7ED-487B-99C1-A7B42A22E70F.jpeg
8F6F6709-BFC5-40B6-901B-417D8FD92ADA.jpeg
5282FE9D-0BD3-446D-BD92-B5FA81AB82E7.jpeg
Looking at the amount of slime on the fish, it appears to be brooklynella.
This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have several issues occurring. While lymphocysis may be present, that is not a likely cause of death. The fish appear in the photo to have considerable mucus/slime on the body and around the gills. If that is true and you also see it, I suspect brooklynella. Velvet would be another possibility. But if your copper level has been maintained at 2.5ppm as measured by a reliable test kit for two weeks, velvet should not be diminishing not increasing.

The treatment for brook is formalin. You can find more info in the stickies of this forum.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

+1 on this possibly being Brooklynella. The pictures aren't very clear (tough to get good fish pics, I know). You might try a short video.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back