What do get with an Apex DDR Resevoir that i dont get with a normal container?

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at buying an Apex to run my other tank (1 has GHL installed) to compare Apex and GHL so I can decide which one to have to run my dream build.
Over here in the UK Apex is a lot more expensive than it is in USA but can somebody tell me what I am getting if I buy the DDR Resevoir, it is priced at £280 ($360) so I am wondering if its diamond encrusted with a solid gold base with maybe the odd Sapphire and Ruby here and there for decoration, but nope it looks just like a plastic container that stores a liquid.
I have a storage container which is 4 2 litre containers which cost me £28 ($36) that does the exact same job as the Apex ones, ive even installed sensors in them to let me know when they are getting empty.
So what am I getting that costs that much to build and make they have to charge such a price?

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at buying an Apex to run my other tank (1 has GHL installed) to compare Apex and GHL so I can decide which one to have to run my dream build.
Over here in the UK Apex is a lot more expensive than it is in USA but can somebody tell me what I am getting if I buy the DDR Resevoir, it is priced at £280 ($360) so I am wondering if its diamond encrusted with a solid gold base with maybe the odd Sapphire and Ruby here and there for decoration, but nope it looks just like a plastic container that stores a liquid.
I have a storage container which is 4 2 litre containers which cost me £28 ($36) that does the exact same job as the Apex ones, ive even installed sensors in them to let me know when they are getting empty.
So what am I getting that costs that much to build and make they have to charge such a price?

It has built in optical sensors that tell you how much liquid is left in the container and is natively recognized by the Apex when it's plugged in. I think it's priced well as I'm sure many of their customers demand control over anything that changes and can be measured in the aquarium.

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has built in optical sensors that tell you how much liquid is left in the container and is natively recognized by the Apex when it's plugged in. I think it's priced well as I'm sure many of their customers demand control over anything that changes and can be measured in the aquarium.
So im basically paying 10 times as much just because its orange and grey?

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the USA it’s $199 stand alone and $149 if you buy it with an Apex Dos in a package.

It does come with 50 dollars worth of sensors that are built in. I personally own a ddr and have always thought it was worth it. Some people use their own. Personal preference I guess. Never had any issues with mine.

mikedb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I generally like Apex products, I would skip the DDR.

The design is shockingly bad. The sensors run to a circuit board under the lid, which combines the two sensor leads into the 6-conductor cable that connects to the DOS.

However, there is absolutely nothing stopping whatever corrosive substance you are pouring into the DDR from following the sensor wires (which run along the top of the lid) into the circuit board. The circuit board itself is not potted, nor is it conformal coated, nor is there any effort (silicon or otherwise) to seal the passage where the sensors lead into the board.

If you overfill the reservoir even once... or if you splash a little on the lid, the DDR is dead. Neptune is good to work with and will repair it for around $50, but it is an issue that should never happen in the first place.

And in my case, the disappearance of those sensors will cause the the Apex alarms to get totally screwed up, requiring live support to trace whatever bug was causing the issue.

It is, by far, the worst designed price of equipment I own.

Don’t just take my word for it, check out the reviews on some popular online US retailers.

They are very pretty, though...

FEEC2F76-5CF8-4E98-B978-FAE26E7B6DC7.jpeg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on these but the ghl doser calibrated correctly will keep track of fluid level mathematically. Enter in the ml the container holds and each dose will be subtracted or added(depending on use).
Allows you to use any container and still have fluid monitoring. Does apex do this as well? If so may not need to have sensors, if calibrate the doser on its recommended schedule.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More room in your wallet?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about buying a couple, but ultimately concluded they weren’t worth the $$ for what they did. I made my own.

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about buying a couple, but ultimately concluded they weren’t worth the $$ for what they did. I made my own.
Yeah that's my conclusion, its just a piece of orange and grey plastic storage container with a sensor in it.
I could make at least 10 of them for the same price they are charging for 1, although I wouldn't be able to connect to Apex, but £280 just to connect it? im sure the doser can be programmed to let you know when levels are low by how much it has dosed. Or I could use my eyes.

Last edited:

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with a lot of the other comments - very overpriced for what you get. Particularly if you use 3 part like I do. Simplicity Aquatics make a very nice looking 3 chamber reservoir for those looking for one which is more attractively priced. I may get one myself down the track, even though the shipping to Australia adds a bit more for me. I contacted them and they recommended purchasing it via eBay as shipping is better via that channel.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im basically paying 10 times as much just because its orange and grey?

He mentioned the optical sensor. Are you trolling?

While I generally like Apex products, I would skip the DDR.

The design is shockingly bad. The sensors run to a circuit board under the lid, which combines the two sensor leads into the 6-conductor cable that connects to the DOS.

However, there is absolutely nothing stopping whatever corrosive substance you are pouring into the DDR from following the sensor wires (which run along the top of the lid) into the circuit board. The circuit board itself is not potted, nor is it conformal coated, nor is there any effort (silicon or otherwise) to seal the passage where the sensors lead into the board.

If you overfill the reservoir even once... or if you splash a little on the lid, the DDR is dead. Neptune is good to work with and will repair it for around $50, but it is an issue that should never happen in the first place.

And in my case, the disappearance of those sensors will cause the the Apex alarms to get totally screwed up, requiring live support to trace whatever bug was causing the issue.

It is, by far, the worst designed price of equipment I own.

Don’t just take my word for it, check out the reviews on some popular online US retailers.

They are very pretty, though...

FEEC2F76-5CF8-4E98-B978-FAE26E7B6DC7.jpeg

Unfortunately I had the same issue and had to pay to get one replaced for bad design after salt water corroded the sensor board.

Yeah that's my conclusion, its just a piece of orange and grey plastic storage container with a sensor in it.
I could make at least 10 of them for the same price they are charging for 1, although I wouldn't be able to connect to Apex, but £280 just to connect it? im sure the doser can be programmed to let you know when levels are low by how much it has dosed. Or I could use my eyes.

It really seems like you are trolling from the get go. Its a little curious why you would base your dream build off the dos container performance if the cost is so high and the GHL is working well for you. After all, why would you base your dream build off the performance of a orange and grey plastic reservoir and not the controller itself.

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He mentioned the optical sensor. Are you trolling?

Unfortunately I had the same issue and had to pay to get one replaced for bad design after salt water corroded the sensor board.

It really seems like you are trolling from the get go. Its a little curious why you would base your dream build off the dos container performance if the cost is so high and the GHL is working well for you. After all, why would you base your dream build off the performance of a orange and grey plastic reservoir and not the controller itself.
Thanks phillygeeks, your post really made me laugh, just what I need to start my day :)
May I politely recommend that before you post you read and understand what the thread is about? Also again politely could you use a dictionary to understand what the word 'trolling' means?
I'm sure there is an ignore button somewhere, if somebody could point me in the right direction.
Have a very nice day.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks phillygeeks, your post really made me laugh, just what I need to start my day :)
May I politely recommend that before you post you read and understand what the thread is about? Also again politely could you use a dictionary to understand what the word 'trolling' means?
I'm sure there is an ignore button somewhere, if somebody could point me in the right direction.
Have a very nice day.
In good humor, I like the snarky across the pond mentality. It is a little confusing when you mention the DDR in the title but then your opening statement is comparing GHL and Apex for a dream tank. Its only slightly confusing why a reservoir would be the deciding factor for the dream tank if you already have the funds to compare an existing GHL and Apex.

Then you respond the to first statement on your thread about bragging rights as affirmation on the position you obviously hold. Sound like a troll there. Then you ignore the next post about where somebody gives you an actual feature in the optical sensors and call it an giving you an actual feature and then you bash that. Again you sound like a troll. Hit the ignore button with that if you want but I think you are used to doing that with anything that hurts your feelings anyway.

The dos worked very well as a 2 part container for me as it would update me when I needed to refill. Otherwise it wasn't worth it and it does have issues with build as mentioned in earlier posts.

Good luck with your build and have a very nice day

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a 6 pin molex connector, plug it into the DOS, and you have fluid monitoring. Theres a thread on how to do this.

The DDR is way overpriced. The optical sensors often fail, the circuit board under the lids is a whole nother set of problems.

I have 2 BAO containers with float switches in them connected to a break out box. They let me know when they get low, and like I mentioned earlier, just plug a molex connector into the DOS and you'll have fluid monitoring, and the little graphical interfaces in the fusion dashboard that you get when you plug a DDR into the DOS.

Seriously, all you have to do is plug in a molex connector with 2 of the wires bugged together to get exactly what you get when you plug in a DDR on the apex dashboard.

The DDR is a the single biggest point of sale that Neptunes puts out, specially considering the price for a simple acrylic container with an optical sensor(FWIW optical sensors often fail, unlike float valves that have to physically be blocked before they stop working).

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks homer and to almost everyone else who replied, I think from what ive read that it is basically an overpriced storage container so I don't think ill be bothering with the DDR but looking forward to installing Apex on my other tank and comparing Apex and GHL.
Just wish Apex was as cheap here as it is in the USA.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back