What do i do with my old sand setting tank back up after a leak?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank sprung a leak a couple weeks ago and I moved everything into a plastic tub. I moved some of the sand but all the fish and coral. I put some of the rest if the sand in a 5 gallon bucket and it has been sitting in water for a couple of weeks. Now the question is what do I do with this old sand that has sat in this bucket wet when I start to setup my new tank again?

Do I wash this sand that has detritus in it? Since it has been sitting in a bucket stagnant will there be lots of ammonia in it from die off or something?

I bought 10lbs of new sand that isn't live to add to the tank as well. After I wash the new dead sand should I mix it together in the bucket with the old sand?

I am just very unsure of what the right thing is to do with this old sand. I had 20lbs of sand in my old tank and have a little in the holding tank so my nassarius have something to hide in but most of the sand is in the bucket.

Any advice would be nice. Just trying to figure out the best path forward when I am setting this tank back up. My rock is about 6 months old. I am worried about putting the old sand back into the tank if there is die off or something and just putting a boat load of ammonia into the new tank.

Thanks

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then I guess the question is how to best go about rinsing it? Is there does and donts?

I fill a 5g bucket 1/4 to 1/2 full of sand, then stick a garden hose in it. Let the hose run for 10-15 minutes overflowing the bucket. I stir the sand with my hand continuously through the process. Once the water running out is clear, I keep going for a few minutes.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem a couple months ago with a tank crash. Did save the fish and corals. Brandon, here at reef2reef, recommend I wash it thoroughly with saltwater. Exactly what I did , 4 times. Never had a problem after work afterwards.

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem a couple months ago with a tank crash. Did save the fish and corals. Brandon, here at reef2reef, recommend I wash it thoroughly with saltwater. Exactly what I did , 4 times. Never had a problem after work afterwards.
I washed it with the hose till it rain clear then ran it some more. Then I poured some tank water in with it and sloshed it around and drained it off just for giggles cause I had some extra tank water and I guess we will see how it goes. I setup the tank about an hour ago and moved fish and corals over. Everything is opening back up so hopefully all is well.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id just dump the sand in the tank fill the tank up. Let it run for a few days and test and go from there

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back