What do I have here?

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings virtual friends
found a critter today on my back glass and I hope it’s friendly. It’s about 2 mm long. I would appreciate an id if anyone knows what it is. So far I know it’s eating algae which is ok with me.
thank you all for being here.
John

B00D4424-CB99-4077-B921-DCA6F20C61BB.jpeg

OP
OP
Jgg12002

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started looking at pics and I think you’re correct also read they will grow out of hand. Oh nooooooooo thanks for the reply.
John

OP
OP
Jgg12002

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the humanity! To late I’m infested with them I scooped a bunch out of my gravel. Can I kill them in rodi water and re use the gravel or are there eggs still viable ? Need to do some research thinking a 6 line wrasse .
Thanks everyone.
John

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding a new fish without proper QT might bring in more issues. source it from someone who QTs fish & is reliable. even then 6 line will hide for some time depending on other livestock, parameters etc. or option - if you have a clean tank then fill it up with fresh saltwater and move your corals after thoroughly dipping them in multiple dips.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No need to panic.
Flatworms do not eat or hurt corals but if allowed to grow in enough numbers they can block a coral from getting enough light. These reddish brown "flat" worms will appear on the tank glass, the sand, on your corals ... on everything in the tank when in numbers.
Flatworms are usually an indicator of high nutrients in a system. The best way to remedy them is to siphon out all visible (as much as possible) perhaps a couple times a day (small water changes which also helps reduce the nutrient load). If you can remove affected corals & rocks, bring them to your sink & quickly rinse with lukewarm water. They cannot tolerate freshwater & will detach instantly. Add fresh reef carbon to your system, perhaps even a Polyfilter & be sure your skimmer is operating properly because again, Flatworms thrive in nutrient rich environments.
Try not to fret over Flatworms. They aren't hurting anything & when the nutrients are lowered, many times they will disappear overnight.
Some fish, mainly wrasses will eat them. Some wrasses are: Yellow cors, lunare, melanurus and 6 lined.
How many are you seeing?

OP
OP
Jgg12002

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to panic.
Flatworms do not eat or hurt corals but if allowed to grow in enough numbers they can block a coral from getting enough light. These reddish brown "flat" worms will appear on the tank glass, the sand, on your corals ... on everything in the tank when in numbers.
Flatworms are usually an indicator of high nutrients in a system. The best way to remedy them is to siphon out all visible (as much as possible) perhaps a couple times a day (small water changes which also helps reduce the nutrient load). If you can remove affected corals & rocks, bring them to your sink & quickly rinse with lukewarm water. They cannot tolerate freshwater & will detach instantly. Add fresh reef carbon to your system, perhaps even a Polyfilter & be sure your skimmer is operating properly because again, Flatworms thrive in nutrient rich environments.
Try not to fret over Flatworms. They aren't hurting anything & when the nutrients are lowered, many times they will disappear overnight.
Some fish, mainly wrasses will eat them. Some wrasses are: Yellow cors, lunare, melanurus and 6 lined.
How many are you seeing?
Thanks for your comments vetteguy. Funny you mention a nutrient rich environment. I probably removed 50 or so but they appear to be confined in the back corner of my tank in the gravel which has a dead spot for flow and I’ve been contemplating a power head for this area. My levels have been good with the exception of 0 phosphate which I’ve been slowly adding. I will research a power head to complement my reafwave 25 on the opposite corner of my Red Sea xl200.
respectfully John

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworms can be a pain, but as stated can be controlled. If your tank can handle a wrasse of Halichores sp or a sixline will eat them. Otherwise, Flatworm exit is effective. Just follow directions. May need to run carbon and try to manual remove as many as possible.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to panic.
How many are you seeing?
what he said, don't panic, these guys gotta get pretty high numbers before they are an issue. a couple species only want to live on the coral surface, they cause the most hassle, yours are not them

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your comments vetteguy. Funny you mention a nutrient rich environment. I probably removed 50 or so but they appear to be confined in the back corner of my tank in the gravel which has a dead spot for flow and I’ve been contemplating a power head for this area. My levels have been good with the exception of 0 phosphate which I’ve been slowly adding. I will research a power head to complement my reafwave 25 on the opposite corner of my Red Sea xl200.
respectfully John
yeah they are staying at the crusty side of town

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
respectfully John
Good. They’re waiting for the siphon. Keep sucking them up

OP
OP
Jgg12002

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled a few more out last night with a pipet not to bad just need to invert the pipet quickly to keep it contained. Will mix up some fresh salt tomorrow and begin vacuuming. Also thought about using a diatom filter and stirring up the gravel.
Thanks for all the help folks
John

OP
OP
Jgg12002

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum is full of wonderful people. I’m thankful to be a small part of it.
Thank you and safe passage to you and yours
John

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back