What do i need for mixing salt?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is cycling and i havent done my first eater change yet. My salinity is at 1.025. How many cups for 1.025? And what exactly i need to mix salt? Bucket and a wave maker?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank? How much water do you want to change per session? There is a thousand answers to your question. lol
54 gallons with a water volume of 44 like my water changes going to be 20%

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah 100% easy peasey!
I was thinking of a buce trash container fills it all the way up. Mix it with salt. And that way i dont have to worry about how much i took out and how much i need to replace ill have more than i need.

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of a buce trash container fills it all the way up. Mix it with salt. And that way i dont have to worry about how much i took out and how much i need to replace ill have more than i need.
Amazon prime will deliver you a brute trash can with no shipping cost. I got mine a few days ago with a caster cart. The look on the drivers face when he was pulling the box out of the van.

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220827-190806_Gallery.jpg

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d opt for barrel with a screw on lid to avoid evaporation and salinity swings if your planning on storing rather than just for mixing for water changes

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hard part is getting the water parameters as close to your tank parameters as possible. 20% is a big water change and you could shock your system if not done slowly.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hard part is getting the water parameters as close to your tank parameters as possible. 20% is a big water change and you could shock your system if not done slowly.
Of course it’s all dependent on system size and alk uptake ect

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you might be able to get a feel for exactly how much salt to add to a certain amount of water without testing salinity, I strongly recommend you get a good refractometer with the correct calibration solution (or even better, a glass Tropic Marin hydrometer that never needs calibration --. NOT the plastic swing arm ones), and measure the salinity as you are mixing the water. The reality is, even the "best" salt mixes can have differences between batches, dry salt can be unevenly mixed in the bucket, and other factors can make your next batch of mixed water turn out to have salinity higher or lower than you expect it to be.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is cycling and i havent done my first eater change yet. My salinity is at 1.025. How many cups for 1.025? And what exactly i need to mix salt? Bucket and a wave maker?
Also, there are instructions for how to mix the salt on the specific product containers. Follow those as some have longer mixing times, temperature requirements, etc.
BRSTV is a great resource too.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To mix salt water, you want salt mix, RODI at 0 tds (best to have your own RODI unit), a container to hold the RODI, and a container to hold the mixed salt water, and a power head. I use Brute trash cans (they are food grade and supposedly inert). I pump RODI water into my Brute for mixing salt water. I add salt mix at half a cup per gallon (it seems standard for most salt mixes). I turn on the powerhead. It is nice to have a powerhead that is large for the system because it will mix the salt and get it to dissolve more quickly. You can use 2 smaller powerheads for better mixing, like one at the bottom to mix the stubborn salts in the mix that sink and do not want to mix) and one to mix the whole general thing usually pointed up or down. Wait a couple of hours. Measure the salinity and add a bit more salt until you reach the desired salinity. Obviously, you want to add a bit less than you think you will need. Of course, this is not the only way to do it. It is a way to do it.

txmk4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To mix salt water, you want salt mix, RODI at 0 tds (best to have your own RODI unit), a container to hold the RODI, and a container to hold the mixed salt water, and a power head. I use Brute trash cans (they are food grade and supposedly inert). I pump RODI water into my Brute for mixing salt water. I add salt mix at half a cup per gallon (it seems standard for most salt mixes). I turn on the powerhead. It is nice to have a powerhead that is large for the system because it will mix the salt and get it to dissolve more quickly. You can use 2 smaller powerheads for better mixing, like one at the bottom to mix the stubborn salts in the mix that sink and do not want to mix) and one to mix the whole general thing usually pointed up or down. Wait a couple of hours. Measure the salinity and add a bit more salt until you reach the desired salinity. Obviously, you want to add a bit less than you think you will need. Of course, this is not the only way to do it. It is a way to do it.
I'm planning on mixing salt in a 40 gallon brute can how many and what kind of power head do I need to mix the salt?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back