What do to with new mushrooms

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a rock with a few mushrooms on it from my lfs and ordered a couple more mushroom rocks that will arrive Wednesday. I have a large domed rock where I envisioned a shroom garden, and the current mushroom rock is just sitting on top. What do you do with these? Just put the rocks in the tank with the mushrooms on them, or do you try to transplant them? I'm not sure how to make my garden at this point.

OP
OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to cover the rock on the right.
20201115_221608.jpg

The one I have is now just sitting on top. It's on a small piece of tonga rock, which doesn't really look right.
20201123_214938.jpg

Upvote 0

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put the mushroom rocks in your rockwork and wait for the mushrooms to grow in and cover the gaps. Alternatively, you could see if the LFS would cut the mushrooms off with a little piece of rock using their wet bandsaw, and glue those to the rockwork.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the good ideas. Sounds like I can make it work.

good ideas... except you, saltyreef. Haha, just kidding. Yeah, I've read stories from those who love them and those who hate them. I'm going to give it a go. If I end up with one large shroom garden, so be it. It's better than the algae garden I'm rebooting (not shown)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question... if I wait for them to fill in the gaps, the mushrooms will eventually be on my existing rock and i could just pull out the foreign rock and trade/sell it, right?

Upvote 0

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the good ideas. Sounds like I can make it work.

good ideas... except you, saltyreef. Haha, just kidding. Yeah, I've read stories from those who love them and those who hate them. I'm going to give it a go. If I end up with one large shroom garden, so be it. It's better than the algae garden I'm rebooting (not shown)
Give it a few years. If youre still in the hobby, come tell me how much you hate and despise your red mushrooms and their offspring ;)

Upvote 0

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question... if I wait for them to fill in the gaps, the mushrooms will eventually be on my existing rock and i could just pull out the foreign rock and trade/sell it, right?
You sure can. But by then you may be accustomed to it and enjoy them.

Upvote 0

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't know if you're looking to go hi end (jaw breaker, bounce) but if just looking to grow a shroom garden my suggestion is Actinodiscus species. many different colors and patterns. spread rather quickly, at least in my tank.
I don't do as well with Rhodactis or Ricordia.

Upvote 0

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a few years. If youre still in the hobby, come tell me how much you hate and despise your red mushrooms and their offspring ;)
I disagree. but then I'm not into all the fancy named over priced corals. and I've been in the hobby for awhile.

Upvote 0

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reds are going for $40 each currently at my LFS.
:cool:

Upvote 0

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really hard to get a mushroom to move when it's happy where it is. Best bet is to break up the rock they are on and glue each piece that has a shroom onto the rock where you want them. Other option is to aim a power head at them and hope they get annoyed enough to let go (then you have to find/catch them before they re-attach somewhere else you don't want them). Once they are loose you can place them in a plastic container (open on top so that water can flow through) with smaller pieces of rubble rock and wait for them to attach to a piece.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought I read they could be mixed... I might have to separate. The two I just ordered are both just listed as actinodiscus, one Aussie and one Indonesian.

I don't know what type the one I have is... is a little bumpy. The lfs had no clue.

Upvote 0

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought I read they could be mixed... I might have to separate. The two I just ordered are both just listed as actinodiscus, one Aussie and one Indonesian.

I don't know what type the one I have is... is a little bumpy. The lfs had no clue.
Those are fine to mix because they are the same species. You will know very quickly if they cannot be together.

Upvote 0

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, i've given this forum a few years, and I still dont get pointless comments like this.

Shrooms will stick to the rock they are attached to and will only spread on said rock. If you're not smart enough to keep green rhodactic off the same rock as your technicolor entrusting SPS the problem isn't with the shroom but between keyboard and chair.

Also, other than rhodactis I've never seen the higher end varieties get out of control.

I disagree with the OP fussing with the new shroom. Let it acclimate for a few months before talking about cutting it up.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back