What do to with new mushrooms

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a rock with a few mushrooms on it from my lfs and ordered a couple more mushroom rocks that will arrive Wednesday. I have a large domed rock where I envisioned a shroom garden, and the current mushroom rock is just sitting on top. What do you do with these? Just put the rocks in the tank with the mushrooms on them, or do you try to transplant them? I'm not sure how to make my garden at this point.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found same species are ok to coexist and will grow amongst eachother. There may be some amongst same species that don't cohabitate but I haven't seen it personally.
Some shrooms can and will multiply like crazy but you can practice same due diligence you do with other corals and you should be fine. Isolated
Space. Room to grow and propagate and remove and sell or grow a mushroom garden.
Fact is shrooms are beautiful corals. Been popular for a long time and always will be.
If you love them grow them just do due diligence as you would for any other coral on your reef and enjoy.
I am biased though and love shrooms so take it for what it is lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again, everyone. You can't tell by the photo, but the rock where I'm placing these is separate from the rest of the structure for the reason of control. I managed gsp like this in my last tank.

Upvote 0

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again, everyone. You can't tell by the photo, but the rock where I'm placing these is separate from the rest of the structure for the reason of control. I managed gsp like this in my last tank.
You have a long time before you even have to be concerned about placement and invasions.
All you should be thinking about is acclimation to your tank and letting them adjust. Doesnt take long for most to open up. Low light and low flow to start is always the safest.
From there they will either start cupping or reaching for light like a flower which means they need more.
Or they will lay down and look like mushrooms which typically means you found the sweet spot.

Upvote 0

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i've given this forum a few years, and I still dont get pointless comments like this.

Shrooms will stick to the rock they are attached to and will only spread on said rock. If you're not smart enough to keep green rhodactic off the same rock as your technicolor entrusting SPS the problem isn't with the shroom but between keyboard and chair.

Also, other than rhodactis I've never seen the higher end varieties get out of control.

I disagree with the OP fussing with the new shroom. Let it acclimate for a few months before talking about cutting it up.
It wasnt pointless, kinda half joking but have you ever let common mushrooms grow for years without care?
They'll kill anything and everything.

Upvote 0

syilk1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burn them.......every...last ....one. lol
UMMM Second this opinion. I never want to see a mushroom again. They really take over tank when they decide to go. **** I did everything possible to kill them and finally gave up and took every rock out with massive sps colonies and chiseled them off and threw down toilet. Good Riddance

Upvote 0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another option for getting a new mushroom onto that rock you have— not a better suggestion that anyone else’s, but simply an add-on comment. You could briefly take the rock out of the tank, lay your new mushroom on it (foot down) and using some rubber bands cover it with a small piece of nylon stocking; you’re essentially placing a semi-snug netting over the mushroom and giving it a chance (in low-flow) to attach. When that mushroom has firmly attached and acclimated, repeat the process elsewhere on the rock with another mushroom. Best wishes.

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been removing 5-6 a week.
Mine came on a rock 5 years ago in my nano.
They will let go move off of said rock over time.
They will land on your favorite coral and kill it.
Here is a before and after pic from the original rock they came in on.
Their are about 10 I cant get in the back of my 120 and they can stay their but dont.
Found one this weekend stuck to a powerhead.
I have removed 20 plus so far.
I do like the way they look but would not advise in a sps dominant tank.
A species tank would look cool though.
20201218_193643.jpg
20201226_173432.jpg

Upvote 0

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot has already been said but will add a few perspective.

Any coral can be considered pest in my dictionary IF they grow too fast, are ugly and grow uncontrolled(blue cloves, some mushrooms...). Some of them can be put on a separate rock on the sand bed, which prevents them from getting to other rock work. This does not work for blue cloves, pipe organ, some mushrooms, Xenia, Kenya tree...

having said that mushroom gardens can be extremely beautiful...

below I have JB, Deadpool, eclectus, candy crush, galaxy, Ironman growing on a large tile.
E0A92CCC-4E15-4A5F-A68B-3876464C60CB.jpeg

sam

Upvote 0

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot has already been said but will add a few perspective.

Any coral can be considered pest in my dictionary IF they grow too fast, are ugly and grow uncontrolled(blue cloves, some mushrooms...). Some of them can be put on a separate rock on the sand bed, which prevents them from getting to other rock work. This does not work for blue cloves, pipe organ, some mushrooms, Xenia, Kenya tree...

having said that mushroom gardens can be extremely beautiful...

below I have JB, Deadpool, eclectus, candy crush, galaxy, Ironman growing on a large tile.
E0A92CCC-4E15-4A5F-A68B-3876464C60CB.jpeg

sam
Very nice. What size tile is that?

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back