What do y'all want to talk about in the Question Of The Day?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope y'all are enjoying the question and poll of the day! :)

Would like to hear from you about some topics you would like to see discussed. They can be broad or very specific!

Anything you want to talk about?

Who is using a microscope to ID nuisance organisms? Just fun of observing microscopic aquarium life?
Who is using some sort of digital camera to record the growth of their coral? Color of their coral over time?
What role does NDOC analysis play in your effort to control nitrogen level? Total organic carbon level?
How do you involve your children/grandchildren in reefing?

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishing keeping or growing coral is 10th or 11th step. I would like to know micro-biology involved involved in cycling a tank. There are a lot anecdotal method, but a few proven cycling methods will be helpful. I believe if foundation of project is rock solid, definitely end product will be impressive too.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is healthier a wild caught fish that has completed a successful medicated prophylactic QT or a captive bred fish through QT?

should we do a full blown QT on a captive bred fish or perhaps observational QT?

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all since we are talking about anything I would like to talk about my Mandarin Goby. He has been around for 2 years now and is very active however I have notice for a while very thin. He has no frayed fins but looks very thin. I notice him eating and picking at the substrate as well and feed him store bought roe and as well he gets other foods I feed other fish. The Rock is very cultured with tisbe and anthropods so he has live food as well. I am just wondering if he is not getting the proper foods or should be in a species tank with no competition. Does anyone have experience with this species? Thank you.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a deep sandbed in the late 90s. I personally believe deep sandbeds and sandbeds that are never vacuumed are a direct cause of old tank syndrome crashes. Almost every one ive known who suffered old tank syndrome either didnt vacuum shallower sandbed or had deep sandbeds.

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok wrong place for my Mandarin question. Lol As far as deep sandbed goes I do run one now but will not in my new tank however in one of the sumps will have mud with mangroves growing. I think if you have a dsb in your tank you need cleaners to turn it up or need to turn it up regularly yourself. On observation sand in the ocean is constantly disrupted by current, tide, inhabitants and never would have issues of decaying organic matter for very long. Definitely cannot have dead spots in your dsb tank as this could be a place for decaying matter to rest. I find those without dsb or no sand have much better flow and less places for decaying matter to cling to

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so many good and interesting topics.

here is my suggestions:
~what new badge name and type should R2R have and how to get it.

~how many tanks do you have currently going? and how much is to many?

~market research for gear..how much is to much and what features we want to see on X gear!

~who would be down for a coral swap pass it on type of thing coral CO-OP.

~ us reefers are the soul and heart of the reefing hobby providing the $$$ for the industry. what do we want from the manufactures?

~how best can we keep the hobby going through the climite crisses and the up sand downs of the world wide political arena?

that is it off the top of may head.

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've often wondered how long people have been in the hobby and how many times we set different tanks. For me I've been in the hobby for 24 years, starting with a 10 gallon tank and have had 6 different tanks.

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,
1. What is the easiest way to keep super glue from clogging up, harding in tube, and what is best practices for gluing coral in place.
2. Speaking of sand beds does anyone utilize one in fuge
3. What do you consider your most indispensable tool in reef keeping husbandry
4. How is everyone recording and monitoring parameters?
5. What's the most disheartening issue for you in reefkeeping?

ReefLabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to work on something along the lines of, "How to color correct online photos accurately and effectively using Lightroom/Photoshop" but someone else should do it, because I'm too lazy. :)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is most important thing about reef keeping to you? The tank, equipment, the fish or coral

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in the hoppy 30+ years ago, first had fish then lizards and back to fish after 6 years. Have made some bonehead moves for sure but had several tanks I believe 17 going at my parents house until they said time to fly and I was paying for my own electrical bill. ;) For me it is an uncontrollable urge to know how fish and plants and corals survive and help them grow and see it thrive is so rewarding I will always be in love with nature.

S.C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a recent thread I'd be curious to know how many of us are running a DSB, what there experiences have been. What size and depth is there sandbed? Is it a remote DSB or in tank? Do they run a plenum as well? I was surprised at how many people were saying they were running them. So now I'm curious as to how many of us actually are.

I know I'm planning on running one now with all the information shared in that thread. :)
I looked at DSB when I first entered the hobby, I liked it, but I felt the risks were too great, i have a 3” SB but there are caves that are deeper..what’s the longest anyone has run a DSB? Do you have to clean the DSB periodically? I thought I had read somewhere eventually all DSB crash, like after 15+ years

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the inevitable ban coming on fish collection from the ocean, What will it take to accelerate the number and abundance of species available thru captive bred programs?

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally Like to know how far off the water coloum you keep your Lights. Sepcially for people keeping lights very close to water surface and their sucess and reasons for it. I personally have my LED setup 2-3 inches off water due to the custom canopy that came with tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back