What do y'all want to talk about in the Question Of The Day?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Topic, that could even be a Poll.

Basically How To Prevent, or Minimize a Tank Disaster, Problem when you are stranded.

How about "TOP n Things you should always have Handy....IN CASE OF A TANK EMERGENCY at Midnight, just before a Long Weekend Holiday, and Nothing is Open, nobody up, and Most Store's won't will be Open Next Day, or Possibly two days.".

I've come across this situation (few time over 20 years in the hobby), and if it were not for having a Reef Buddy, I'd be in deep trouble. Few times I was left Stranded and things didn't go well.

After a few lessons, learned that One should never be without ( Local Reef Buddy # 1), Salt (if not mixed, and least power), and ready made RO water in a Reservoir, VINEGAR, Rubber Sealing Tape, a spare pump, Flashlight (with Batteries), heater, etc.....

Last edited:

Cfellini91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being relativly new to the hobby, tank established summer 18’, there are several things I would like to be able to see more polling on though may seem pretty novice. One thing of both intrigue and necessity would be a list and poll of all common nuisance algae and ways to combat them via natural and chemical. Again, perhaps very novice and rudimentary as well as informative.
On top of this I would like to see more about sump vs refugium and the pros/ cons of tanks with built-in refugiums on them and what sourcing of filtration is used. Again, still learning, and intrigued. I am maintaing a 25g nano and learning from here to soon get a 110g. Its easy to get information overload and get overwhelmed. Heck, even with certain acronyms I find myself scratching my head. Not sure this helps, just some simple thoughts.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I am not enjoying poll and question of the day, and want to stop seeing it, as it has turned into spam? Unfortunately I cant put the person that starts these on ignore, or it would have been done a while ago.

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL/DR :)

Maintenance schedules
How folks keep track of those once/twice a year things and what they are
Hard learned lessons/biggest mistakes

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know has been discussed a million times but what is high, medium and low flow? And which corals need what. How close to power heads? For instance, tank size, two Mp10s on reef crest at 85% Medium? High?
I only ask because of marginal sps success even with Par mapped in.

Lota Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in hearing about bacteria biodiversity in tanks. How we can increase and keep a strong “immune system” if u will, inside our tanks. I think a lot of our starting issues when starting with dry rock is our low biodiversity. Can increasing this be of great help? Are there real products out there? Has anyone taken a real close look at what a healthy strong tank looks like up against a new tank with dry rock with one type of bacteria added?
Definitely bacteria topics. Way beyond nitrogen process. Dig in to N2 and also partnerships corals have with different bacterial strains they cultivate for their food (some acro seem to have their own preferred bacterial strain unique to that coral) and how we can create suitable or ideally 100% bacterial filtration. I hear some people think reefing is about keeping good water. I am starting to think good water is from keeping good bacteria.

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Definitely bacteria topics. Way beyond nitrogen process. Dig in to N2 and also partnerships corals have with different bacterial strains they cultivate for their food (some acro seem to have their own preferred bacterial strain unique to that coral) and how we can create suitable or ideally 100% bacterial filtration. I hear some people think reefing is about keeping good water. I am starting to think good water is from keeping good bacteria.
Agree completely...100%

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terrestrial plants, it has been proven that a symbiotic association between fungi and plant roots can greatly improve the health of the roots and thus the plant. (Mycorrhiza)
I wonder if certain experiments or results observed at the level of amateur aquarium enthusiasts could consider the possibility of a misunderstanding at the symbiotic level between corals and (other) except the zooxantelles and other macroalgae.

Last edited:

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List of captive bred fish species and where to purchase them. List of corals that are actually protected and should only be from aqua-cultured sources, and region specific biotope tanks. The freshwater community has really good info on biotopes, but the reef community is challenging to find good info.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope y'all are enjoying the question and poll of the day! :)

Would like to hear from you about some topics you would like to see discussed. They can be broad or very specific!

Anything you want to talk about?

How about what all should and should not be in a sump. I had a empty sump with no help and it was mega hard to put filtration because i did not find much on what to put where and why it should be there.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh hello Rev,

Here's what A LOT OF US would love to achieve ...FOREVER!!

Here's a more detailed literature on what our human eyes perceived when we view things underwater in the ocean. This is what it explains ... "Sea-thru's image analysis factors in the physics of light absorption and scattering in the atmosphere, compared with that in the ocean, where the particles that light interacts with are much larger. Then the program effectively reverses image distortion from water pixel by pixel, restoring lost colors."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sea-thru-brings-clarity-to-underwater-photos1/

When viewed with our naked eyes (Before)
Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 9.27.12 AM.png

When processed with the Sea-thru algorithm program (After)
Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 9.27.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 9.33.07 AM.png

Award-winning engineering oceanographer Derya Akkaynak has created an amazing algorithm that removes the typical blue-green visual distortion from photos that were taken underwater. The algorithm, called Sea-Thru, helps photographers easily reconstruct the actual colors of the underwater object by correcting the color distortion pixel by pixel, making it look like the photo was taken on terra firma.

Another read from Derya Akkaynak's own website: https://www.deryaakkaynak.com/research

NoCoralsOver$100Please

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would like to hear from you about some topics you would like to see discussed. They can be broad or very specific!

I tend to like changing water before I will dose a tank. I feel it’s cheaper in the long run to spend the money on the salt than on the equipment needed to dose. I also understand if my tank was bigger than 55 gallons that would change things as larger tanks would require different things

Roberth101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Drying dry rock after bleach soak in an oven.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial and small critter competition, like a certain nudi's or flatworms that you can introduce to prevent worse types of nudis, flatworms, or something else from taking hold. Basically examples of life you should introduce to prevent more detrimental life from thriving. Working in the sense that just their presence helps deter pests. More than just "a wrasse", even if it were just theoretical. Experienced refers and those in certain sciences and love reefing could contribute.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like a weekly q/a or AMA session with some of the vendors. Especially the smaller guys, talk about challenges parameters insights. These guys and gals reef harder than 99% of the people here and we can all learn a bit from them.

Let’s talk diy, what did you build and how well did it work.

expiriments In your tank what did you try what did you learn

what corals like what food types

phytoculture have you tried it why did/didn’t it work for you

Failure points and redundancy in your tank

what kind of emergency plans do you have for your tank

fastest and slowest growing corals

tank disasters and near disasters how did you handle them

cheap tools you can’t live without

best and worst deals you have gotten on reef equipment

most underrated reef equipment

canister filters anyone using them?

when and how do you use carbon

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe folks feel this has been adequately addressed, but the question I get most frequently from novice reefers who may reach out to me is 'what is a must-have versus a nice-to-have when setting up a reef tank'.

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually wondering what folks would recommend to get a 32 gal LED Biocobe AIO retrofitted for a sump, better lights, and a good skinmer.

Or would it be better to just get a different tank?
100% agree with you on this one. I think these questions should be asked considering how many Biocube 32's out there. Very interested in retrofitting a sump.

Dorinda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a recent thread I'd be curious to know how many of us are running a DSB, what there experiences have been. What size and depth is there sandbed? Is it a remote DSB or in tank? Do they run a plenum as well? I was surprised at how many people were saying they were running them. So now I'm curious as to how many of us actually are.

I know I'm planning on running one now with all the information shared in that thread. :)
Invertebrates

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like a poll on who is willing to donate to me, enough money to build out my 120-150 gallon fat-boy tank with all the trimmings.....

But seriously.. I would like to see that poll.

In all seriousness.. It would be cool right?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back