What do y'all want to talk about in the Question Of The Day?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we should talk about anecdote vs formally-accepted works in reefing (articles from sages, peer reviewed items)

values and pitfalls

set up everyone to hate on anecdotal information, they will. Only scholar articles carry weight, everyone in science knows that

and then we'll hit em with work threads that are pure anecdote, but provided a relief to the hobby that no sage or peer reviewer had written about. examples

the gigantic dinos thread

anecdote discovered api .25 misreads, no author did.

any peroxide thread is a collection of anecdote cause and effects, but the after pics tend to compete well

all of pico reefing is anecodotal information that works solidly. in 1997, no pico reefs were allowed or worked in theory or in paper, due to allelopathy alone.

fluconazole, purely an anecdotal buildup into what is likely the most powerful bryopsis med ever discovered.

no where in scholar can you find reliable info on battling bryopsis in a nano reef, ergo anecdote is driving this hobby via bulk pattern and we should mine the heck out of it.

and, even better, we should create work threads to test any claim before we pump it out to others, especially if its something that works good in your reef. actually test things in the public before recommending...new horizons.

anecdote=incredibly fast data input from ready tankers, but swamped with pages of distraction and bias. ****gold pellets are interspersed, the more pages the more patterns you get free, and they're strong patterns that can be shaped into new approaches

formal works=hardly ever wrong, but slow as molasses. usually wont start a trend, but provides analysis and validation of current ones or past ones

Last edited:

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A poll on how long our tanks have been up and running, what issues people with long term tanks (5+ years) have run into would be interesting. It seems like there are lots of posts about first year problems, but I want to know what to expect later on down the road. Maybe something about how often longer life equipment needs replaced too.

Eric Armstrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... To go along with DSB stuff... Does anyone in their home aquariums run any sort of sand bed and still maintain a high amount of flow, whether it be through power heads or a closed loop system?
I’m really wanting to set up a forever tank in my new house!!! I have an empty 210 to do it in and I will do all the fun new and different stuff in my 120 and my 30 lagoon. But in a massive tank, I’d rather do set it and love it, not experiment. Anyone have any real input on this?

Thank you in advance!

Eric Armstrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

That’s a hard and tuff question depending on the person. In or before I mention this most may not know that I’m pretty (extremely shy so I do most to avoid social things (I know I am so trying to work on that), but given my current situation, I never once thought my life would change so much that well I can’t physically do a tank any more with out maybe hiring someone. Has anyone planned on what to do with their lovely tanks afterwards?
I ask this because I’m stuck from just donating everything to the children’s pediatric unit or as a motivator since I recently had to move
My tank is rebuilding itself as well as myself.
I hope someone volunteers their time to help you... just another way for a passionate person to deal with multitank syndrome! But seriously, do whatever you have to to keep your passion and further spread the passion to others! Maybe, your thing should be donating your tank and figure out a way to work yourself into being the maintenance person at the children’s hospital. Working on being shy, but only by being around people maintaining an aquarium instead of interacting with people, if that’s the issue... All I know is keep your passion, even in a small way. Or maybe a pico tank is for you???

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we should talk about anecdote vs formally-accepted works in reefing (articles from sages, peer reviewed items)

values and pitfalls

set up everyone to hate on anecdotal information, they will. Only scholar articles carry weight, everyone in science knows that

and then we'll hit em with work threads that are pure anecdote, but provided a relief to the hobby that no sage or peer reviewer had written about. examples

the gigantic dinos thread

anecdote discovered api .25 misreads, no author did.

any peroxide thread is a collection of anecdote cause and effects, but the after pics tend to compete well

all of pico reefing is anecodotal information that works solidly. in 1997, no pico reefs were allowed or worked in theory or in paper, due to allelopathy alone.

fluconazole, purely an anecdotal buildup into what is likely the most powerful bryopsis med ever discovered.

no where in scholar can you find reliable info on battling bryopsis in a nano reef, ergo anecdote is driving this hobby via bulk pattern and we should mine the heck out of it.

and, even better, we should create work threads to test any claim before we pump it out to others, especially if its something that works good in your reef. actually test things in the public before recommending...new horizons.

anecdote=incredibly fast data input from ready tankers, but swamped with pages of distraction and bias. ****gold pellets are interspersed, the more pages the more patterns you get free, and they're strong patterns that can be shaped into new approaches

formal works=hardly ever wrong, but slow as molasses. usually wont start a trend, but provides analysis and validation of current ones or past ones
funny what is “science” one year can be bs in short order...I mean every year some old school food kills you and then 5 yrs later it’s healthy...take eggs for example, for the longest even one egg a day was deadly now it’s glutens ...oh wait now that’s proven to be all fake science.... I used to sit looking at my yellow lit tank with growing corals and got blasted on the forums .... as we know now in Asia they purposefully use full spectrum light to actually grow corals....yet not 20yrs ago if your lights weren’t 20k you weren’t hip like the name dropping in crowd

A poll on how long our tanks have been up and running, what issues people with long term tanks (5+ years) have run into would be interesting. It seems like there are lots of posts about first year problems, but I want to know what to expect later on down the road. Maybe something about how often longer life equipment needs replaced too.
I’m on like my 7th reef tank .... some ran 6-7 yr some less .... crashes caused by power outages, dirty DSBs , lights falling in the tank, hair spray from guest, you name it....yes a “crash and burn” poll is badly needed

BaliWoody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope y'all are enjoying the question and poll of the day! :)

Would like to hear from you about some topics you would like to see discussed. They can be broad or very specific!

Anything you want to talk about?
I have recently added some giant clams to the tank. All the research tells me I don’t need to feed them as they get their nutrition from the tank normal ecology. Is this correct? Should I be feeding them some special foods? All help appreciated.

914EAB10-8440-43F3-A9AA-8048C3558948.jpeg

Ricky_Reef

Diamond Goby Lover/Hater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know how folks nutrients are holding up using Algae Turf Scrubber's.... Are you satisfied with the results?, Do they remove too much No3 and Po4 or not enough?, Pod production, etc...

ConectadoNZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would like to hear from you about some topics you would like to see discussed. They can be broad or very specific!

Hope this finds you well.

Thank you for your message and I do have a dedicated topic to talk about!

My dream fish is the Yellow tang and Kole tang, but I do have a 80 gallon tank.

The local fish shop say that is all good to add even both in my system (80gl), because they are small and take a lot of time to be in a size that I eventually need to swap.

My question is why stores push you to buy a fish that is for minimum 100gl to start wiht?

Some local reefers do have a tang in a smaller tanks for around 8 years or more, but they are not sowing there face around, and before being the guy showing my tank and having the Tang gang around over me I feel like open my concerns before buying the so dreamed fish.

Hope that you understand....

Have a blessed day and happy reefing!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in a massive tank, I’d rather do set it and love it, not experiment. Anyone have any real input on this?

My 125 is "almost" a set it and forget it tank and in a year and a half it will be up for fifty years.
But I run a "Reverse Undergravel filter" and if you mentioned that, you would be laughed off this forum so I never tell anyone that. ;Wideyed

So I vote for a Reverse Undergravel filter question. :p

zbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire Hazard,
Almost burnt the house down!!! Was doing my bi weekly cleaning, spilled some water on the carpet, and i must have splashed some salt water on surge protector. A day later my wife woke me up, screaming, the surge protector went up in flames! On/Off switch still illuminated, unbelievable ! Wow could have been a total disaster if i were not home!
I got rid of the other strip/surge protector at the back of the tank.!!!!
Don"t let this scenario happen to you- get rid of plug ins!
Happy Reefing

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire Hazard,
Almost burnt the house down!!! Was doing my bi weekly cleaning, spilled some water on the carpet, and i must have splashed some salt water on surge protector. A day later my wife woke me up, screaming, the surge protector went up in flames! On/Off switch still illuminated, unbelievable ! Wow could have been a total disaster if i were not home!
Happy Reefing
Something similar happened to me with a power strip I was using for WC. Now I use only gfic outlets and outdoor rated extension cords

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire Hazard,
Happy Reefing
I wish I could give you multiple likes for that....we badly need a safety sticky and safety poll

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I REALLY like the safety idea. I can't fathom the pain of watching your home burn down, especially knowing that the is no way to save the reef and its inhabitants. To add the knowledge that something I did which was completely avoidable was the cause would be unbearable.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I REALLY like the safety idea. I can't fathom the pain of watching your home burn down, especially knowing that the is no way to save the reef and its inhabitants. To add the knowledge that something I did which was completely avoidable was the cause would be unbearable.
I worry it will be a argument on if Chinese knockoff products like lights are safe to use.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.1%
Back