What do y'all want to talk about in the Question Of The Day?

Nimblylol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manmade rock vs wild rock vs Dry rock vs reef safe alternatives (real reef) - Do they still provide natural filtration and if so, which is best.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone so far! I'm working my way down the list of ideas!

debby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ora topic on hows you make your reef safe in regards to redundancy. Another topic might be how many people have back up equipment right on hand, if so what?
I have a replacement for all but my skimmer pump, and I run simultaneous returns so I have a spare for one of those

MAGASAF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope y'all are enjoying the question and poll of the day! :)

Would like to hear from you about some topics you would like to see discussed. They can be broad or very specific!

Anything you want to talk about?

Would like to hear from you about some topics you would like to see discussed. They can be broad or very specific!

WHO HAS REEF TANKS FULLY LOADED WITH FISH AS WELL AS CORALS? What is the best way to keep it happy
20190921_151220.jpg

20191120_203022.jpg

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QOTD ideas;

1) If you had it all to do over again what would you change on your setup? (What is your biggest regret on your current setup?)
Substrate or lack thereof.
Rocks.
Lighting.
Pumps and plumbing.
Test kits and other miscellaneous equipment.
Livestock.
Wait longer before stocking tank.
Research livestock before buying.
QT before adding.
Different filtration strategy.
Different nutrient control strategy.
Nothing because I'm a genius and I did it all correctly the first time.

2) What subject would you like to see more articles about?
Nutrient control.
Algae.
Coral.
Invertebrates.
Fish.
Equipment.
Substrate and rocks.
I don't come to the forums to read you nerd!

3) What is the worst algea bloom to experience?
Dinoflagellates.
Chrysophytes.
Cyanobacteria.
Bubble algae.
Caulerpas.
Green hair algae.
Diatoms.
Other.
Everything is welcome in my tank.

4) What size would your dream tank be?
10 gallons and under.
>10-30 gallons.
>30-75 gallons.
>75-120 gallons.
>120-200 gallons.
>200-300 gallons.
>300 gallons - I should just love in the ocean.
I'm done with this hobby, anyone wanna buy a tank?

5) What is the biggest limitation to advancing the hobby?
Too much misinformation out there.
Finding the good information.
Not enough detailed information.
No one wants to put in the effort or learn.
Not enough experiments driving innovation and knowledge base.
Equipment manufacturers - customer service.
Equipment manufacturers - making good products or improving products.
Livestock vendors - customer service.
Livestock vendors - low quality livestock.
Livestock vendors - shipping and acclimation.
Whoa! Slow down!

6) What makes you want to quit this hobby the most?
Algae problems.
Diseases.
Bad advice.
Equipment that doesn't work well.
Not knowing why a problem occurred.
Not knowing how to overcome problems.
Not enough time.
Not enough money.
Too much effort.
Nobody likes a quitter...

Dr_Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one that was brought up in a question on a thread today. I'm not sure if it's been in a daily poll or not but dual return pumps, how many of us are running them?

The member that was asked said he was running dual for redundancy and it has already saved his tank once. So it would be cool to hear others experiences and tips for running them.
I’ve been running dual pumps for years now. I have both entering a “Y” with dual check valves. If anyone is interested in photos or plumbing help with this, PM me.

Leicobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I would be interested if there is a topic about how all of us banlance our life and our hobby. As many of the folks on the site. We all have a busy life, kids, family ,work or a business while trying to keep a successful reef tank. What are some of the challenges and how we can overcome them as a hobbiest?

Molsman24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to be able to have some direction in keeping water pristine (if possible) in an all in one system with media tower, gfo reactor, and return pump chamber. I find that I have a lot of debris that floats on top of the surface of my water even with a hang on the back skimmer. Find no matter what I do I have to paper towel the top of the water. Would like to see a forum for smaller AIO systems.

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a recent thread I'd be curious to know how many of us are running a DSB, what there experiences have been. What size and depth is there sandbed? Is it a remote DSB or in tank? Do they run a plenum as well? I was surprised at how many people were saying they were running them. So now I'm curious as to how many of us actually are.

I know I'm planning on running one now with all the information shared in that thread. :)
I have been for the past 5 years. Not an easy thing.

MeanGull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many of the topics that have been brought up so far deserve further looking into. However, my specific question is this. What kind of (white) lies do the rest of you use when it comes to a not overly impressed SO?

The reason I ask is because Im running out of ideas. "What are you talking about, that particular tank has always been there?" does not work anymore. Much less, "no way was that 6 grand twice this month, the bank must have made a mistake on the statement they sent, again. I guess Ill have to call them, again."

Mistahbrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a recent thread I'd be curious to know how many of us are running a DSB, what there experiences have been. What size and depth is there sandbed? Is it a remote DSB or in tank? Do they run a plenum as well? I was surprised at how many people were saying they were running them. So now I'm curious as to how many of us actually are.

I know I'm planning on running one now with all the information shared in that thread. :)

Hello Sir.

Despite the fact that I'm not running a reef tank but a 280 liters freshwater with a 90 liter sump, I am using six small jars aprox. 8 cm diameter and 8cm heigh containing filtersand I have good results creating an anaerobic layer in each jar, there is around 6 cm of sand in each and the bottom in the jars is all dark and forming nitrogen pockets from what I can see.

They may need to be somewhat bigger if there is critters around, as they might stir up the anaerobic layers and depending on the overall setup, the should be sized accordingly.

I would recommend this method in any sump as the system is super easy to maintain and set up / pull out, without the hassles of a conventional DSB.

Happy reefing , Brock

DSB-Jar.png

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be the most epic thing ever in my opinion (got the idea from a thread a while back): Share your wackiest and most unusual inverts!!! Idk this is the best I got rn. Or something about people's opinions on decorator crabs in their tanks. Hope this helps! :D

TheOtherMrB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am returning to reefing after a twenty year hiatus (marriage). Nearly EVERYTHING is new to me. (When I left the hobby, protein skimmers were the new thing.) I bought used and rebuilt the system. I followed BRS's 52 Weeks of Reefing and that was VERY informative. I love my new manifold.
I'll bet there are a few newbies and prodigals to reefing out there. With anxiety. Perhaps a thread about the First 120 Days in the Tank. Links to experiences good and tragic. What to watch out for and how to respond. I only know how to react when things look wrong.
Maybe a thread about taking over a used system. (I got a bunch of corals and zoas and snails and brittle stars... and worms ... that the former owner did not want to take on the move. I had to crank up a mini system to keep that all alive while doing the rebuild.) There were leaks. And I still have lighting issues (programmable LEDs? what the heck?).
And a thread about what fishes to start a reef with. (It used to be Chromis and then Perculas because they were cheapest.) That would help me right now.

90 gallon reef with 20 gallon sump; Reef Octopus protein skimmer; BRS dual reactor with carbon and ferric oxide; refugium; ceramic rings; HW-Marinemix reefer salt; two Hydra 52s;
2 Ocellaris, Zoas, Kenyan coral forest, green Galaxea, brown cauliflower coral, various micro inverts

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back