What do you do about flies in your house? Fly spray?

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, It is mid spring in Australia ATM and it looks like it will be a bad one for flies. I am aware that airborn chemicals are an issue for tanks. Is there any safe fly spray or tank freindly method of killing flies in the house that anybody could suggest?

Thanks

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screens on your windows would be my suggestion.
But this stuff is magic...
My brother showed me this stuff on a restaurant dumpster with literally1000's of Flys on it. They flock to this bait the second you spray it on. Upon contact they die almost instantly. It not a aerosol, you mix the powder in a spray bottle. So no particulates floating in the air.
Here's the description of it.........
The only way you will know you've sprayed Maxforce Fly Spot Bait is that your fly problems will disappear. And fast. It kills flies in 60 seconds or less. Plus, Maxforce Fly Spot Bait is easy to use--simply mix the bait with one pint of water in a sprayer, and spray surfaces near the fly infestation. Flies will be attracted to the bait and die within seconds. A small spot has up to a 6-week residual to control future intruders. It's labeled for use inside and outside commercial establishments and outside RESIDENTIAL ONES.

It's not labeled for residential inside use but our FDA which regulates the United States for the use of pesticides. Let's just say the FDA covers their butts on this one. Sort of like stump remover isn't labled for inside use, but people put it in their tanks to raise nitrates.
I don't know if you can get it where you live, but this stuff is magic. I saw it with my own eyes.
4a9f46e0-55e9-4648-af60-b9ae1338e8d1_1.b863bfa81ebb6b719f6e3315b92405f9.jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Thaxxx, I will definately do some reasearch on this stuff.........am glad I asked the question! I have a freind who is an industrial chemist I will run it by him also. I wonder what comercial fish keepers use? perhaps this stuff

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toxicity to fish LC50 (Oncorhynchus mykiss (rainbow trout)) 211 mg/l Exposure time: 96 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Toxicity to aquatic invertebrates EC50 (Daphnia magna (Water flea)) 85 mg/l Exposure time: 48 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. EC50 (Chironomus riparius (non-biting midge)) 0.0552 mg/l Exposure time: 24 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Chronic toxicity to aquatic invertebrates EC10 (Chironomus riparius (non-biting midge)): 2,09 µg/l Exposure time: 28 d The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Toxicity to aquatic plants IC50 (Desmodesmus subspicatus (green algae)) > 10 mg/l Growth rate; Exposure time: 72 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Additional ecological information No other effects to be mentioned. Environmental precautions Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Do not contaminate surface or ground water by cleaning equipment or disposal of wastes, including equipment wash water. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are visiting the treatment area. Apply this product as specified on the label.

Does anyone know what this means?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if you have something like this in your hardware stores, but this is what I used in my yard this year and there were literally hundreds of flies in it after only a week or so.

Screenshot_20201018-081236_Opera.jpg

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toxicity to fish LC50 (Oncorhynchus mykiss (rainbow trout)) 211 mg/l Exposure time: 96 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Toxicity to aquatic invertebrates EC50 (Daphnia magna (Water flea)) 85 mg/l Exposure time: 48 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. EC50 (Chironomus riparius (non-biting midge)) 0.0552 mg/l Exposure time: 24 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Chronic toxicity to aquatic invertebrates EC10 (Chironomus riparius (non-biting midge)): 2,09 µg/l Exposure time: 28 d The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Toxicity to aquatic plants IC50 (Desmodesmus subspicatus (green algae)) > 10 mg/l Growth rate; Exposure time: 72 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Additional ecological information No other effects to be mentioned. Environmental precautions Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Do not contaminate surface or ground water by cleaning equipment or disposal of wastes, including equipment wash water. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are visiting the treatment area. Apply this product as specified on the label.

Does anyone know what this means?
Nasty stuff

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flys actually can be hearded to open windows and shut the window and bam you have a fly trapped.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a kid I used to kill them by flicking an elastic band at them. I remember it being quite rewarding, these days I run around after them like a lunatic trying to suck them up the vacuum.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a home remedy that works on small fruit flies. In a small bowl (preferably white) 1 tbl spoon sugar mixed in warm water, 2 tbl spoons apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish washing soap. Dont overdo it on the soap, a few drops should be all it takes. Place the bowl in well lit area
I guess the soap disrupts the waters surface tension and the vinegar/sugar is the attractant. The fly gets close and one step into the solution and they get sucked in and drown.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you can get it in Australia but I highly recommend the Bug A Salt gun. It is so much fun to go fly hunting and it uses salt for ammo so if some got in your tank, no biggie. It is more fun than should be allowed and it's about $50.

0107baf6-a4f7-463f-8e37-067485c8db48_1.24ba47e31bf0bb204374919129063b48.jpeg.jpg

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electric fly swatter... Kill them until they are burned!!!
LoL
There is a handheld one and the one like a blue lantern. Not sure if you have it over there

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick strike fly bait user here. Must be kept away from children and pets, highly toxic. Kills all the bugs who land in it.

Back