What do you do to give back to the hobby?

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave back to this hobby by donating my entire reef tank livestock and all the equipment to the Miami museum of science back in 2010 (I think year), which is now the frost science museum, https://www.frostscience.org/. The museum had the vision of building this aquarium and had only local Atlantic livestock. When I donated my aquarium I assisted in reassembling the tank display at the museum which was the only reef aquarium they had on display at the time. I would like to think that I seeded the museum with exotic coral reef from before it was even built. This was my tank at the time.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to ask for people to log their tank transfers / upgrades and house moves and sandbed swaps in our sand rinse thread so we can guarantee safe transfer and no loss all in one place.

I noticed in 2015 there were many many losses and wasting of animals by doing tank moves without a recurring safety set. Now that we know rinsing out a transferring sandbed in tap water for two hours is the only safe way :) we get to log half a million bucks in successful tank transfers and we get to play up that extreme irony at the same time. We use tap water to save all those reefs. The key to successful tank transfers and all sandbed work is pre rinsing in tap water for hours, who couldn’t love that rule shattering.

number of work threads available online showing any other way? Post em up let’s see the non tap works.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave the tank in my signature away to a local school. Sell frags locally with 100% going to the local board or to a marine related non profit - they make the donation and show me the receipt and they get the frags. I will buy and give equipment, frags or other things to any local tank in a school/education/hospital that needs help. I will also donate my time to help non-profit tanks and to give talks, but this is harder lately. I have sent well-known captive coral frags for experiments instead of researchers buying cheap corals that nobody uses in captivity.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to help other reefers, disseminated my hard earn knowledge and advances the way we treat some specific disease and our husbandry of a few difficult animals.
My contributions included treatment of PMD in clams with FWD, and Antibiotic treatment protocol of infected, hard to keep anemones.

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give them my time to help out and I donate to them.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to teach a kid I know but he's a teenager. Already knows everything. ;-)
Mostly it's participating in R2R discussions, helping with questions if I feel like I have answers. Also on some FB groups recently.

Back