What do you do to give back to the hobby?

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reefing on/off for only about 7 years. I've "taken" a lot from the ocean and fellow reefers (advice, assistance, etc.).

In that time I've tried to "give back" by passing on my knowledge to other people, especially younger kids. Other than throwing money at some organization to "help" the oceans I figure this is the best thing I can do.

This time around I'm also trying to opt for more aqua-cultured/captive bred specimens.

What do you all do to give back to the hobby?

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I share knowledge iv gained over the years got a few who call me all the time needing help lol free frags with people I know I used to breed cardinals before my kid wiped out my system and I generally try and give people good advices whenever I see someone needing help even in stores(got me a few job offers and also kicked out of a few stores wouldn't want to shop at those anyway as they were giving people bad advice just trying to make a sale my lfs included like trying to sell a sally light foot crab for a 10 gal pico as an example)

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife picked out everything on my bank statement that said "reef", "marine" "aquaria" or sounded aquarium related on the last 30 day statement. It was $732 and I didn't buy any major equipment like lights or a skimmer (nor include Amazon which is another problem I need to kick). Since then, in part to black Friday, I'm afraid I'm going to match that again. All I have is a biocube 14 and a 30gallon.

The point is you are asking the wrong side. The hobby didn't buy my records and support my movies making me what I am today. I'M buying the records and movie tickets. My only contribution is spreading it out in hopes of keeping the business of the hobby thriving. I'm a repeat customer but NEVER an exclusive customer. If I buy from Marine Depot I make a conscious effort to buy from BRS the next time, then a less known online retailer the next time. I buy livestock 4:1 locally and dry goods/supplements locally when feasible. Does that count?

MattW33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think supporting aquaculted livestock is one of the best thing we can do to 'give back', if there's a tank bred option we should be prioritising it over wild caught.

TooMuchDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep on spending my hard earned money lol. Also teaching my kids about reef keeping is very cool.
Exactly. What do I owe this hobby? I pay huge markups for everything and get aquacultured livestock wherever I can. Give back to the people who give knowledge for free by participating in the communities is all

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Give back" is a hard statement to justify because I PAID for everything in this hobby. I paid a LOT.
Nothing was "given" to me except knowledge and advice which usually entails spending MORE money.

Having said that, I try to help fellow reefers when and where I can.
I try to share what I've learned over the years.
I don't and won't take advantage of fellow reefer. I would never sell junk. I would never overprice equipment, coral or fish.

I believe being helpful, honest and fair are the best things I can "give back"

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I support the hobby by shopping as much as I can at local LFS (whose practices I agree with), supporting the industry through purchasing aquaculture and from smaller businesses that seriously make this hobby what it is. I try to pass knowledge and experience in a inclusive and humble manner so that we all learn from the past and become just that much better.
Also being here on R2R and contributing is def supporting the hobby as well so thanks to everyone here!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby has given me so much. My anxiety is way down and I sleep much better and do a better job at work. I give back by being active on this forum and helping as much as possible with my limited knowledge. I have also mailed chaeto out to those in need at no charge. The only thing that annoys me about this hobby is people constantly complaining about how they pay. This hobby is far from the most expensive that I am into. Yet, I get much more enjoyment from this one and I am learning to incorporate the others.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back