What do you do with your RODI waste water?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently make my RODI water in my master bath. I accidentally closed the plug while making water. It wasn't closed for long. But I was shocked by how much waste water was in the tub. I hate that I'm wasting so much water. I know that I can get a more efficient RODI machine. I'm looking at putting in a pool next fall. I'm considering sending the waster water from the RODI machine to it. So that leads me to my question.

Has anyone found a use for the RODI waster water and if so, what is it?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lota of people use it for watering the grass/gardens, just plumb the waste line to a rain barrel outside. You can use it for your washer as well like you mentioned.

I will add you can upgrade your system as well to waste less water, if your running a standard system your looking at a 4:1 waste to product water. So essentially your pouring 4 gallons of water down the drain for every gallon of good water you make. There are upgrades to cut this in half or even further. Keep in mind there upgrades can decrease the life of some of your filters so it might end up costing you a little more in the long run but in the grand scheme of things atleast I still feel they are worth it.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pool partyyyy!
Lol... exactly... I'll hand everyone a shovel when they get here, and when we're done, they'll be a pool! ;Happy ;)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... exactly... I'll hand everyone a shovel when they get here, and when we're done, they'll be a pool! ;Happy ;)
That sounds like something @tdlawdo could knock out before lunch! ;)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collect my wastewater in a 55 gallon drum that has a MAG18 attached to a hose. Here's the 55 gallon drum:

1565730642678.png

Just to the left of the drum is the washing machine. I use this water to do the first water fill on the washing machine, and if my wife wants "stink" (aka, fabric softener) in the wash, the final rinse, this water is used. Now I also installed a sillcock (an outside hose faucet) where I can take this same hose and run it up to the sillcock. So in the warmer months I can water the plants outside. Here you can see the gray hose coming from the 55 up to the sillcock:

1565730824791.png

FYI, I've only used the outside watering option once....right after I set this up. We end up using all the waste water to do wash. Note, some machines today will not allow you to fill from an outside source. I had to figure my machine out....actually have to start a cycle. Once the water starts to fill the machine, open the door, which stops the fill. Now fill with the drum water. Oh, and it's a top loader washing machine. When I first tried using drum water, I first filled the washing machine, just to find out, once you start it, it empties all the water out first before filling again. So you need to trick it my having it start to fill the machine.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently make my RODI water in my master bath. I accidentally closed the plug while making water. It wasn't closed for long. But I was shocked by how much waste water was in the tub. I hate that I'm wasting so much water. I know that I can get a more efficient RODI machine. I'm looking at putting in a pool next fall. I'm considering sending the waster water from the RODI machine to it. So that leads me to my question.

Has anyone found a use for the RODI waster water and if so, what is it?
yessss, i have a 7 stage system with a pump so not wasting 4:1 but i run mine outside to some 50 and 75 g containers and we use them to water plants, top off the pool, some goes to the septic but even that has the lateral lines and that waters my lawn in the long run too. I have used it to top off my koi pond in a pinch but generally I use the RODI for that as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back