What do you do with your RODI waste water?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a way to heat and pressurize it, the waste water could probably fulfill any watering needs I have, including showers. Mine feeds right into the drain by the washing machine, so I never see how much, but I know by the product water that I could've supplied water to a village in Africa for a year by now.

HCl+NaHO=

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently make my RODI water in my master bath. I accidentally closed the plug while making water. It wasn't closed for long. But I was shocked by how much waste water was in the tub. I hate that I'm wasting so much water. I know that I can get a more efficient RODI machine. I'm looking at putting in a pool next fall. I'm considering sending the waster water from the RODI machine to it. So that leads me to my question.

Has anyone found a use for the RODI waster water and if so, what is it?
Send it out to the lawn.

harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a way to heat and pressurize it, the waste water could probably fulfill any watering needs I have, including showers. Mine feeds right into the drain by the washing machine, so I never see how much, but I know by the product water that I could've supplied water to a village in Africa for a year by now.
i run the waste line into the washing machine before laundry day. good use for the first part of the cycle. hardest part was convincing the wife that i was not washing the clothes in "fish water" per se.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run the waste line into the washing machine before laundry day. good use for the first part of the cycle. hardest part was convincing the wife that i was not washing the clothes in "fish water" per se.
I did this for 15 years.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I return it to the earth.
I dont have a lawn or vegetation to water.
But i let it run out to the side yard.
Beats just sending it to the sewer plant, if I had one of those.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in an apartment, no yard, no garden, I have no use for the waste water so it goes down the drain, eventually ending up in the ocean.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quality of your concentrate (mis-named "waste water" in this hobby for some reason) depends entirely upon.... the quality of your feedwater. Whatever contaminants are in your feedwater will be in your concentrate, minus x percent of the H2O - the contaminants are concentrated in the concentrate... hence the name.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
with 140 before mem 2 after 4-1 ratio ,safe for dogs ? always wondered ,city water supply

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fishguy242

I am glad you asked this question.
I always answer the question of, is this OK for my pet as no way?

I have no idea where humans (In General) have gotten the notion that feeding something to animals, we as humans will not eat or drink is OK.

Animals do not know that something is not good for them, they have no knowledge of such things like salmonella, mold, bacteria, etc. so they will eat it. They don't have some kind of instinctual means of detecting if something is poisonous, or bad for their health.

Most of us including myself have no idea if our animal is not feeling well. They can't talk and say hey Dad I am sick. We may notice they are not sleeping, or sleeping way to much, low energy, but normally, not until the symptoms become extremely obvious.

It has been believed that somehow an animal wont consume something because of there keen smell or some other super power DNA, or some miracle transcendental levitating mental telepathy.
Or that because they will consume there own feces, somehow they are immune to everything on the planet.

This is not logical thinking on our part.

Now I am not one of the germaphob's on the planet that tosses out food on or before the expiration date. Leftover combo pizza has been on the counter for two three days, no problem, I will eat that all day long. If I have a dozen eggs that are six months past the date guess what, you bet I will cook them up and have breakfast.
Hell I have even found a loaf of bread a time or two in the pantry that has started to mold. I will find the remaining slices without mold and make toast or a sandwich.
But I wont give the moldy slices to my pets, if I won't eat it they don't get to eat it.

Last edited:

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use it to wash clothes and this weekend gonna use it to clean my pumps with citric acid.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure. Your concentrate will have lower TDS than my tap water.
You know never checked it,but learned here today ,did load of laundry with! lol

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some RO water experts suggest not using a second membrane unless your raw water TDS is very low.
TDS of the feedwater is not really the issue. "Total Hardness" is the problem. Likelihood to scale can be measured with LSI (Langelier Saturation Index).

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
would that be freshwater gh?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back