What do you do with your RODI waste water?

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like something @tdlawdo could knock out before lunch! ;)
gladly.... i once quit a job at lunch was so mad i came home rented a jack hammer and chiseled out all the asphalt behind the house and dug the koi pond before dinner...what a great workout!!! give me the dates and the ill bring my own special shovel!! ;)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gladly.... i once quit a job at lunch was so mad i came home rented a jack hammer and chiseled out all the asphalt behind the house and dug the koi pond before dinner...what a great workout!!! give me the dates and the ill bring my own special shovel!! ;)
You are transcendent my friend...

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collect my wastewater in a 55 gallon drum that has a MAG18 attached to a hose. Here's the 55 gallon drum:

1565730642678.png

Just to the left of the drum is the washing machine. I use this water to do the first water fill on the washing machine, and if my wife wants "stink" (aka, fabric softener) in the wash, the final rinse, this water is used. Now I also installed a sillcock (an outside hose faucet) where I can take this same hose and run it up to the sillcock. So in the warmer months I can water the plants outside. Here you can see the gray hose coming from the 55 up to the sillcock:

1565730824791.png

FYI, I've only used the outside watering option once....right after I set this up. We end up using all the waste water to do wash. Note, some machines today will not allow you to fill from an outside source. I had to figure my machine out....actually have to start a cycle. Once the water starts to fill the machine, open the door, which stops the fill. Now fill with the drum water. Oh, and it's a top loader washing machine. When I first tried using drum water, I first filled the washing machine, just to find out, once you start it, it empties all the water out first before filling again. So you need to trick it my having it start to fill the machine.

Do you think you could just plumb it directly to your cold line instead? And just turn on the Mag pump before starting the wash? The pump would have to deal with a lot of head pressure but nothing a magdrive couldn't handle.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It'll be a workout for sure, the red clay and rock in this area is no fun. I installed a fence at my old house, paid someone to do it at this one!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine goes down the drain but I am going to start salvaging for my plants

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be a workout for sure, the red clay and rock in this area is no fun. I installed a fence at my old house, paid someone to do it at this one!

So true... the ground is incredibly hard here... Pretty sure it's going to require some heavy equipment.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you could just plumb it directly to your cold line instead? And just turn on the Mag pump before starting the wash? The pump would have to deal with a lot of head pressure but nothing a magdrive couldn't handle.

A MAG is not a pressure pump, and could never be connected to the house water system. I'd have water shooting out that MAG like a sprinkler. Even if I had a pressure pump, I wouldn't hook into the houses water system.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A MAG is not a pressure pump, and could never be connected to the house water system. I'd have water shooting out that MAG like a sprinkler. Even if I had a pressure pump, I wouldn't hook into the houses water system.
Very dangerous thing to do health wise.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're in the Piedmont, and it's either sand or clay. I was in West End, about 70 miles east of Charlotte, and fortunate that I had enough sand to pass the perk test for my septic system. As far as clay, if my wife brought home one more piece of pottery from Seagrove......

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not saying connect it to the house plumbing atall (that would be silly, for obvious reasons) I'm saying run a direct line from your mag to the washer itself. And disconnect the cold water line from the house to the washer entirely. Then just turn the pump on before you start the washer and the pump will feed the washer while it's cycling. You wouldn't have to "Trick" the washer cause it would just behave like its hooked into the regular house plumbing.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying connect it to the house plumbing atall (that would be silly, for obvious reasons) I'm saying run a direct line from your mag to the washer itself. And disconnect the cold water line from the house to the washer entirely. Then just turn the pump on before you start the washer and the pump will feed the washer while it's cycling. You wouldn't have to "Trick" the washer cause it would just behave like its hooked into the regular house plumbing.

Got it Josh....let me scratch my head and think about that....first thought is that I'm liking it, but would want a three way valve to go from house water to drum water. The reason is when we run out of drum water and still have wash to do. On a large load, between initial fill and the fabric softener, it's almost all of a full 55 gallons.

Like your thinking! :cool:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it Josh....let me scratch my head and think about that....first thought is that I'm liking it, but would want a three way valve to go from house water to drum water. The reason is when we run out of drum water and still have wash to do. On a large load, between initial fill and the fabric softener, it's almost all of a full 55 gallons.

Like your thinking! :cool:

A three way valve is a wonderful idea and very easy to implement, best of both worlds! I wonder if you could add a valve from the house to the barrel as well so if its close to being full you could just top it off and you don't have to worry about the drum running dry or waiting for the last bit to fill up. LOTS of options:D

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back