What do you enjoy the most as a reefer?

What do you enjoy the most about reefing?

• Fish

Votes: 43 37.1%
  • Corals

Votes: 59 50.9%
  • Equipment

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • Therapeutic

Votes: 50 43.1%
  • Ecosystem Control

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Having a piece of the Ocean

Votes: 62 53.4%
  • Just for the view

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • Others

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Having something to work on

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have been reading very different things people enjoy in our hobby, some people enjoy caring for fish or coral, others are about the equipment and have control over a mini ecosystem, some people like me feel calmed and eased by working on my reef and seeing its creatures.

I believe it can be interesting if we share our stories.

As I said I find working in my reef therapeutic, and also find calm on looking at it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the lifestyle that my family has now, reefing is therapeutic for me.

Pretty much year round and like all aspects.

This was more of an hardware year for me, but it's not like that from year to year.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love ignoring my 2 children because they irritate me while I meditate in front of a blue-light glass tank full of thousands of dollars that could’ve been wasted on lottery tickets. My true getaway.

Last edited:

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... i enjoy the fat wallet and the well-funded rainy day savings account the most ... said no reefer ever. ;Hilarious

i love having my own little piece of the ocean ... thank you, jacques cousteau for inspiring me when i was a wide-eyed fascinated kid (now a wide-eyed fascinated adult).

1566752863742.gif

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life lessons. Like how to deal with failure and the unknown reasons behind it and that it's just money. Worrying is a disease that eats away at your happiness.
I didn’t think about this one, very interesting.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The therapeutic, calming effect on us humans is huge. Distracts us from reality and the daily grind of life. It has had a huge impact on me personally. It's my escape and Zen.

This will be apart of "Part 2, The psychology of reefing" article I'm working on.

Since we are on this subject, here's that article if you wish to read it:

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The therapeutic, calming effect on us humans is huge. Distracts us from reality and the daily grind of life. It has had a huge impact on me personally. It's my escape and Zen.

This will be apart of "Part 2, The psychology of reefing" article I'm working on.

Since we are on this subject, here's that article if you wish to read it:

Happy reefing!
Good article @Flippers4pups ! thanks for sharing !

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a hard decision between ecosystem control and therapy, but the former wins out. I have 15 little ecosystems in my house, all with their own feel. With my two reefs specifically I like the therapy of the parameter control and the science behind keeping everything healthy.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for several options, but therapeutic is number 1. I'm kind of surprised how many reefers find this "razor's edge" hobby calming and relaxing. I actually enjoy water changes and all of the other maintenance involved. It helps keep me focused. Are we all just insane? Or is there something intrinsic to reef keeping that is actually good for our psychological well-being?

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for several options, but therapeutic is number 1. I'm kind of surprised how many reefers find this "razor's edge" hobby calming and relaxing. I actually enjoy water changes and all of the other maintenance involved. It helps keep me focused. Are we all just insane? Or is there something intrinsic to reef keeping that is actually good for our psychological well-being?
That is so true, why is so calming if it is so difficult son”razor edge”? I experience at least the same calm of keeping my mind focus and my body working. Many psychologists recommend people to get busy I guess it helps the mind to unwind?

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is corals because I enjoy the challenge and it’s cool to watch things take shape and chasing the best colors keeps me interested. I think of it as a garden, because there’s invasive species, a lot of green, weeds like aiptasia’a/various algae’s, and etc lots of parallels lol. While I enjoy fish as well and most of my current ones have been with me a long while. They all have behavioral issues and or do things they’re not supposed to do :rolleyes:. For example my purple tang I got him when he’s was 1.50” didn’t take long for my angel to peck one of his eyes out. On top of being deformed he picks on all corals (ruined two $300 welso’s). He’s just overly aggressive more so then your typical purple he has a complex lol. Just one example it kind of sours the fish for me....

Last edited:
OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite thing is to take pictures every few weeks and watching my coral grow.
Oh yes, I completely overlooked the photography piece ! there are several accomplished members here.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back