What Do You FEED/SUPPLEMENT Your Mushrooms???

Kathleen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked this question many times and have never got a straight answer, so I'm asking here. What do you feed/supplement your mushrooms. Mine don't seem to do that well. I love mushrooms and probably would have a whole tank full if I could get them big and healthy looking.

aquabull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the species, some do not like a lot of water flow (Discosoma), while others like Rhodactis and Riccordea like a little more. Too much flow and too much light will keep them small.
Supplement wise, ammino acids, and iodide dosing will help color and growth. Just be very sparing while dosing, most tanks only need about a fourth to a third of the recommended amounts.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think mushrooms need anything special, they're one of the least demanding an easy to keep corals. If you're having trouble, I would directly attribute that to too much light or flow as stated in the previous post. Of course stable parameters and correct salinity are important factors, too.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish poop and light... That's all mine got minus the little bits of coral food that fell their direction. Stable parameters, correct lighting and flow do help.

I did run into an issue where for 2 years I had 2 shrooms. Then over the course of the third and fourth year I all of a sudden had hundreds... It is wierd for sure.

Glenn

Reefer and Model Railroad
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't target feed the shrooms, but I do feed the corals and I'm sure the shrooms take advantage of abundance of 'stuff'... nanochloropsis, oyster feast, cyclopeeze, and arctipods usually make up the weekly "soup" that I pour into the tank. Two MP40s, one MP10, two K2's, and a small offbrand powerhead (at the surface) stir everything up for 30-45 mins while the main pump is off.

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hhhhmmmm I have never turned my pumps off. Maybe food gets filtered out too fast in my tank. Reef Pets...how much iodine and how often? Thanks for all your replies.

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some Lugols today. I plan to see how that works. I also do a soup type stuff for my corals with oyster feast and some other stuff in it. I turned off the pumps one time when I was killing majano anemonies and forgot to turn them back on till the next morning. I lost a couple of fish and all my shrimp so I am scared to turn the pumps off. I don't know...will have to think about that.

Thom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some Lugols today. I plan to see how that works. I also do a soup type stuff for my corals with oyster feast and some other stuff in it. I turned off the pumps one time when I was killing majano anemonies and forgot to turn them back on till the next morning. I lost a couple of fish and all my shrimp so I am scared to turn the pumps off. I don't know...will have to think about that.
Use a cheap egg timer or three. That's what I did till I got my apex which turns my pumps off and back on when with a touch of a button

Glenn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the timer on the oven to remind me .. after too many times of pumps left off, RO left running, etc, I use the timer for almost anything that needs a reminder.

Glenn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a bottle of Lugol's Iodine - bottle says one drop per 25gallons, once a week ..... so that's my new schedule for iodine

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glenn...sure glad you posted. I read the directions wrong and have been doing it daily not weekly. Guess I will wait a week or so before I do it again.

Glenn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a water change! Iodine CAN be overdosed - I don't remember the issues but it's better to change some water and be certain.

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is, I thought my mushrooms were starting to look better.... Wonder if it hurts the fish...

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best my shrooms ever looked,
I had a mated pair of clowns that
hosted a large group of green
mushrooms, they grew over 8 inches
apiecs tried target feeding, didn't seem to make any difference

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cdness said fish waste was their supplement...LOL. I guess your clowns fertilized as they hosted.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back