what do you guys recommend buying in advance?

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just finished setting up my new reefer g2 350 deluxe, and now I only need chemicals. I am ordering salt with delivery, and I thought I might as well order some more so I don't have to pay shipping twice. what do you guys recommend for a sps tank to dose? salt is Red Sea coral pro

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest nothing at this time. Is the tank cycled? Do you have coral in there now?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not setup, nothing. Maybe some bottled bacteria to kick start the cycle. You'll want to get rock and get it cured. Give it a couple weeks, turn the lights on low and let it happen. Get your flow setup when it's filled, get your sump tuned in for the siphon, so a return pump. Then start shopping for a protein skimmer if you are going that route.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend running with no lights for the first 2-4 months.

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that SPS is more difficult to keep and have higher requirements than other types. So you may have a while to go before the tank is ready for such an undertaking. It's got to cycle first, probably for a good long while before it's ready for SPS.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that SPS is more difficult to keep and have higher requirements than other types. So you may have a while to go before the tank is ready for such an undertaking. It's got to cycle first, probably for a good long while before it's ready for SPS.
alright, so maybe LPS would be better early on?

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no time you will be able to try any coral you desire. But first things first cycle your tank and get it stable like stated above slow and steady wins the race

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no time you will be able to try any coral you desire. But first things first cycle your tank and get it stable like stated above slow and steady wins the race
do you recommend anything to add to cycle faster?

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria in a bottle works for me. I used dr Tim’s ammonium to feed the bacteria the whole 4 months with out any fish in there skipped the ugly stage. For the bacteria I used dr Tim’s one and only and microbactor7 but not all at once

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would purchase k.p live rock/or equivalent (I've already done this b4 with this method, look at my builds, check other builds then responses ) instant cycle, and start putting coral in asap if thats what you want. The faster you can start dosing the sooner the coraline algae will start the sooner that starts the better. I would also go bare bottom! It helps keep nutrients in check down the road, more than likely you will have to add, not fight to remove them. Good luck happy reefing!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend purchasing therapy sessions for when you want to shot yourself because of the aggravation involved.
Bad comment, grow up and Be more considerate, you know Suicide is nothing to take light heartedly and very offensive to do so, if you were joking try to realize this is not something to joke about im reporting this comment! Go read some statistics on it to be better educated.

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad comment, grow up and Be more considerate, you know Suicide is nothing to take light heartedly and very offensive to do so, if you were joking try to realize this is not something to joke about im reporting this comment! Go read some statistics on it to be better educated.
I thought it was funny

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just finished setting up my new reefer g2 350 deluxe, and now I only need chemicals. I am ordering salt with delivery, and I thought I might as well order some more so I don't have to pay shipping twice. what do you guys recommend for a sps tank to dose? salt is Red Sea coral pro
Medications for your fish, and hopefully you are going to quarantine, stuff for doing that

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spares for your most important things.

Carefully look at all of the equipment in your tank and ask the question "if this single device stops working will my tank crash". If the answer is yes, get a spare. Examples are return pumps, heaters, some form of lighting if you are using a single light.

For dosing, I am a fan of the BRS stuff. It's very economical. You won't need this until you have a ton of coralline algae and/or lots of LPS and SPS coral.

A quarantine tank with Copper Power, Prazipro, heater, airstream and pump are essential to keep parasites put of your display and for emergency treatment of fish. Any other medications I get as needed and don't keep on hand.

Always keep enough salt on hand to do at least two 100% water changes. Always keep enough RODI water on hand to do at least one 50% water change.

Food: keep a variety of frozen, pellets, nori sheets, and flake. You never know when you are going to get a picky fish that doesn't want to eat and need to try another food type.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back