What do you like to watch on YouTube?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I'm trying to get back into making YouTube videos about my aquarium and fishing hobbies and I was wondering what you all like to watch concerning reef aquariums and such on there. Is it more factual based stuff like the BRS videos, showing off new corals and critters, or DIY projects and how-to videos. Feel free to explain why you like that stuff too!

If you have a favorite youtuber that does aquarium videos (or fish stuff in general), feel free to share their channel name on here so I can check them out :)

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like brs tv stuff, as well as king of diy, mr saltwater tank tv is also a good one. informational stuff for aquariums is what I enjoy.
I also sometimes watch skateboarding videos (braille). I also use youtube for automotive and other handyman type instructional videos. Idea for reef type videos would be to have a specific fish/coral species picked out to cover each week or whatever video schedule would be and go into depth of everything about that critter.

that's my $0.02. Keep on Reefin'

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like brs tv stuff, as well as king of diy, mr saltwater tank tv is also a good one. informational stuff for aquariums is what I enjoy.
I also sometimes watch skateboarding videos (braille). I also use youtube for automotive and other handyman type instructional videos. Idea for reef type videos would be to have a specific fish/coral species picked out to cover each week or whatever video schedule would be and go into depth of everything about that critter.

that's my $0.02. Keep on Reefin'
That's a lot of good feedback, thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRSTV, King of DIY, Mr. Saltwaterfish, Melev's reef, Taylor Nicole Dean (She doesn't do a whole lot with reef, but she has two saltwater tanks that she occasionally does videos on) The R2R youtube channel, Marine Depot, and Classics or Bust (its an old cartoon youtube channel.....adults can watch cartoons to! :) )

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as @mckinleyw for me. BRS TV and BRS Investigates along with King of DIY. Random home improvement stuff.
I watch all of those as well, King of DIY helps satisfy my freshwater itch most of the time haha

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- BRS
- King of DIY
- FishOfHex
- KGTropicals
- ReefDudes (just found them the other day, so only watched a single video)
- Tidal Gardens

Everything else on my youtube subscriptions is video games & cars...

I'm mostly interested in instructional and general informational videos. I am really digging the deep dive videos from BRS on how/why things work, as well as the MACNA videos. I just watched the wrasse video at about 2 in the morning yesterday because I couldn't sleep; if you haven't watched yet, it's a great presentation...

What's your YT handle?

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your YT handle?
My YT handle right now is "Nathaniel Holley" but it may change to "Nautical_Nathaniel" once I'm able to modify it. I think I need a certain channel size before I can change it to something besides my google account name. My best video by far is a custom DIY light hanging stand I did. I tried to do a weekly update series but school and other engagements got in the way. Hoping to return to that format but with smaller scale, more focused videos. I'm about to be finished with grad school so I will have more time on my hands during the week. I also like "species Sunday" videos that several youtubers have done and have thought about doing those focused on nano fish/inverts.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides what has already been mentioned :
Reefbuilders - channel has really improved this year
Milehighreefers
Reefs - lots of good coral species specific videos

Some of these are just about their own personal tanks, but I enjoy watching videos of people talking about their own tank and showing it vs just watching a video of their tank which can also be fun
AlexGs Aquarium - documenting his massive plywood build, sorta a smaller saltwater king of diy channel - not saying he is "The King" but he does a good job documenting success and failure and they can be informative
Terrance Gilmore - he's on this forum can't think of his user name but does a good job documenting his 180 and new larger tank build + fishroom
Dmitry Tumanov - I believe he is on here as well, has the aquatic log website, several sps dominated tanks
MikeC Reeftank - one of the nicest softy tanks and it's just videos about his tank
Reefkeeper2 - one of my favorite reef tanks I've been following for years.
Daily Reefing - this guy posts a ton of videos about his massive 500 gallon reef + fish shack.

I'd love to see more suggestions similar to the ones I've listed, stuff where people are just talking about their own personal tanks and what is giving them success. A lot of the higher production channels are geared more towards newbies which is fine and I still watch some of them but they aren't necessarily what I'd recommend. I also recently started my own channel which is mostly just about my tank and a bit about the struggles of moving to a rural environment it's called Average Reef because I consider my tank to be an average reef but I'd like to take my tank to the next level. Personally I have a long way to go before my videos actually get good but since I'm talking about smaller channels I'll throw it out there.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides what has already been mentioned :
Reefbuilders - channel has really improved this year
Milehighreefers
Reefs - lots of good coral species specific videos

Some of these are just about their own personal tanks, but I enjoy watching videos of people talking about their own tank and showing it vs just watching a video of their tank which can also be fun
AlexGs Aquarium - documenting his massive plywood build, sorta a smaller saltwater king of diy channel - not saying he is "The King" but he does a good job documenting success and failure and they can be informative
Terrance Gilmore - he's on this forum can't think of his user name but does a good job documenting his 180 and new larger tank build + fishroom
Dmitry Tumanov - I believe he is on here as well, has the aquatic log website, several sps dominated tanks
MikeC Reeftank - one of the nicest softy tanks and it's just videos about his tank
Reefkeeper2 - one of my favorite reef tanks I've been following for years.
Daily Reefing - this guy posts a ton of videos about his massive 500 gallon reef + fish shack.

I'd love to see more suggestions similar to the ones I've listed, stuff where people are just talking about their own personal tanks and what is giving them success. A lot of the higher production channels are geared more towards newbies which is fine and I still watch some of them but they aren't necessarily what I'd recommend. I also recently started my own channel which is mostly just about my tank and a bit about the struggles of moving to a rural environment it's called Average Reef because I consider my tank to be an average reef but I'd like to take my tank to the next level. Personally I have a long way to go before my videos actually get good but since I'm talking about smaller channels I'll throw it out there.
Thank you for all of those suggestions, I went through and subscribed to them all. I believe being successful on YouTube means also knowing what other community members are making videos about and how they put their videos together. Hopefully those channels will give me a good amount of insight :)

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRSTV, King of DIY, Mr. Saltwaterfish, Melev's reef, Taylor Nicole Dean (She doesn't do a whole lot with reef, but she has two saltwater tanks that she occasionally does videos on) The R2R youtube channel, Marine Depot, and Classics or Bust (its an old cartoon youtube channel.....adults can watch cartoons to! :) )
I watch the same videos! But Taylor Nicole Dean is an idiot in my opinion she doesn’t know much and her videos aren’t informative.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e178c5264717435b68787d0642c60add_2.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch the same videos! But Taylor Nicole Dean is an idiot in my opinion she doesn’t know much and her videos aren’t informative.
Yeah, but she's not bad to look at ;)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True I guess if you like that sort of thing! Lol!
But I think that’s why she has the following she does! Ha! Because there not much substance in the videosb
I've noticed she's showing alot more cleavage in her videos recently to lol.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched the wrasse video at about 2 in the morning yesterday because I couldn't sleep; if you haven't watched yet, it's a great presentation...
;Happy

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why I never bothered to start this thread. I absolutely love watching fish vids on YouTube. Have the TV to myself for a few minutes? Better check YouTube!

Here are my favorites:
I'll usually click anything that pops up, especially around MACNA & RAP time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back