What do you LOVE or hate about these colorful tiny button polyp flowers of the sea?

How much do you love or hate zoanthids?

• LOVE LOVE LOVE

Votes: 189 41.5%
  • Like them

Votes: 165 36.3%
  • Neither like or dislike

Votes: 65 14.3%
  • Don't like them

Votes: 20 4.4%
  • HATE HATE HATE

Votes: 16 3.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's ZOA (zoanthid) week here at R2R! Were going to be centering our QOTD topics around those little colorful tiny button polyp flowers of the sea! How can you not love zoas? Well I know some of you do not and that's ok but man they are hard not to love! They come in such a beautiful variety of color, they grow pretty fast, they are easy to frag and trade and the list goes on! So let's talk about zoas!

Are you a zoa lover or zoa hater?

What do you LOVE or HATE about zoanthids?

image via @jourdy
19reiyi.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the colours… but not in my tank. Well, I cant grow them anyway but even if I could I probably wouldn’t unless I found a Candy Apple or something nice and bright that I wouldn’t mind in the tank.

The reason I say I can’t grow them is one day they’re in the tank and the next day they have literally vanished because something ate them.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care either way. I got into the hobby around 2005 and this is the first bunch I have ever own. I have two bunches about the same size. Paid about $40 and probably be another 10 years before buying any more. They look cool as a rock cover but I have encrusting SPS for that task. I don't think I could even tell you if these have a name.
PXL_20220625_205239233.MP.jpg

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them for the most part. They can be really pretty, and cover a lot of the rock pretty quickly. They are also relatively cheap, so that makes them ideal for newer folks. I dont think a complete zoa tank is the best way to go, but for someone that doesn't want the hassle of keeping sps, Zoas can be paired with many varieties of LPS and softies, and the tanks can be absolutely be stunning.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think a nicely filled out Zoa garden looks great however in my experience in the long term you end up with certain dominate strains taking over the others. For my style of reefing I don't think I'll be adding any more zoas to my tanks.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them but they do not seem to love me! I am not sure what the problem is but have tried them multiple Xs in different tanks and have never been able to keep them long term. Now palythoa on the other hand are a nuisance in my tank, (not really but they do grow everywhere).

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them, especially some morphs like Rastas and magicians, but unfortunately they seem to grow very slow in my system. I had some red PE for 1 year and they never really showed any growth. I have good nutrients (5ppm NO3) but I noticed that when I had 25 ppm they were looking better. Now they seem to stretch for light, as if they are relying more on light when nutrients are lower. I have also another morph that looks like dragon eye zoas but with blue/green center and orange/yellow mouth, and they are always open and looking nice, but they won't grow either.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the colours… but not in my tank. Well, I cant grow them anyway but even if I could I probably wouldn’t unless I found a Candy Apple or something nice and bright that I wouldn’t mind in the tank.

The reason I say I can’t grow them is one day they’re in the tank and the next day they have literally vanished because something ate them.
Do you know what ate them? I might need some help…. haha

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love them! When planning my tank last year a zoa garden was on the top of my list. Although I have had a ton of growth and can’t wait to see see the whole rock covered.
F0DB1B94-831A-46C2-B5C9-F39FA98D44A1.jpeg
C6D9A660-AAC2-4BF6-B968-B28CD58039C7.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what ate them? I might need some help…. haha
I cant say who exactly may have eaten them however I have my bets on:
CBB
Magnificent Foxface
Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i like them. i would love them if they weren't so difficult to keep for me. they either stall (do not grow or die), or slowly melt/die off.... water parameters are fine as i am growing sps and lps consistently. even mushrooms grow faster or don't die on me...

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the ones that grow, a staple for the lower areas of the tank, but some inexplicably decide they will just slowly wither away. Those ones I like less!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back