What do you make of this?

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this free from my LFS. They are relocating, so they gave it to me, lol. I initially liked it because I wanted to get a fan worm for my 24g and the dead coral base looks like a dead tree stump. Upon placing it in the tank I noticed so.e Coralline algae and what appears to be orange sponge? The next day I noticed so.e small polyps on top and around the base. They don't look like typical Aptasia, but I'm still new to corals and such. Any inputs on what things may or may not be is appreciated. Hopefully pics are viewable.
20221114_155953.jpg
20221114_160015.jpg
20221114_155953.jpg
20221114_160015.jpg 20221114_155959.jpg

OP
OP
Screwby

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to get clearer pics. It was in a 300 gal+ tank with a lot of other things... zoas, xenia, mushrooms, anemones, starfish, shrimps, urchins, and maybe an orange sponge.

OP
OP
Screwby

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, I was battling something with my tank not long ago. I was told it could be vermetid snails, or a bacterial bloom. The tank has been running 6 months and all parameters are in acceptable ranges. It came and went 3-4 times over the course of last month, but has been clean again for 3 weeks now. I don't know what to make of it. The tank was very cloudy the first time it occurred.
20221026_222215.jpg
20221026_222221.jpg

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are what I have always called Brown Star Polyps. Very aggressive grower and can take over a tank very easily.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bacterial to me. Are you dosing anything?
I totally missed that that was a question as well. I agree with @IKD . Looks like bacterial snot webs. How old is the tank and what is your dosing and feeding regimen looking like?

OP
OP
Screwby

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally missed that that was a question as well. I agree with @IKD . Looks like bacterial snot webs. How old is the tank and what is your dosing and feeding regimen looking like?
The tank is just over 6 months old. I'm feeding 1x day, but 2x every 3rd day. Tank is only 24g system with 3 fish, 4 frags, tuxedo urchin, 8 trochus/astrea snails, 7 blue leg hermits, and 2 nassarius snails. I switch it up with flakes, new life spectrum pellets, frozen spirulina brine, and a few crab cuisine pellets on the 2x days. The tank has had a cycle initially(ammonia and nitrate spiked, but came down fairly quickly about a week later. I'm still puzzled because I have no readable nitrate or phosphate on my tests. pH is 8.2, 1.026 sg, calcium is on the lower end, but 400, alkalinity 11-12 dKH, magnesium 1300. I only dose when needed and test 2x week due to small tank size. I've had diatoms and gha, but doesn't stay around. I think the tank is running on the cleaner side?

OP
OP
Screwby

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is just over 6 months old. I'm feeding 1x day, but 2x every 3rd day. Tank is only 24g system with 3 fish, 4 frags, tuxedo urchin, 8 trochus/astrea snails, 7 blue leg hermits, and 2 nassarius snails. I switch it up with flakes, new life spectrum pellets, frozen spirulina brine, and a few crab cuisine pellets on the 2x days. The tank has had a cycle initially(ammonia and nitrate spiked, but came down fairly quickly about a week later. I'm still puzzled because I have no readable nitrate or phosphate on my tests. pH is 8.2, 1.026 sg, calcium is on the lower end, but 400, alkalinity 11-12 dKH, magnesium 1300. I only dose when needed and test 2x week due to small tank size. I've had diatoms and gha, but doesn't stay around. I think the tank is running on the cleaner side? The corals seem to be thriving as well. 2 small zoas, paly, and a gsp frag

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back