What do you need 3d designed for Christmas? I'll make it for the community...

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone & Happy Holidays,

What do you need 3d designed for Christmas? I would like to make something for the reef community and make the files accessible on Thingiverse for Christmas.

What is something that the entire reef keeping community could benefit from having access to the 3d files (likely for 3d printing)?

Please reply we the details about what you need or something that you think would be cool. Once we have a few ideas l can put it to a vote or I can just choose what idea I think I can crush. I would like to have the design completed by Dec 25th so get your ideas in ASAP.

Thanks

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
An adjustable webcam mount would be pretty cool. Its rough when I have to clean the glass everyday. I put an Orphek gel filter in front of the c930 webcam that constantly slides.
PXL_20201221_230720521.jpg

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An adjustable webcam mount would be pretty cool. Its rough when I have to clean the glass everyday. I put an Orphek gel filter in front of the c930 webcam that constantly slides.
I like this one a lot but I would want to make sure that it works with a range of cameras. Maybe I set it up with a universal threaded mount or GoPro style attachment?

I actually just purchased one of these Sony USB cameras to give it a try on one of my tanks. s-l500.jpg

So are you having issues with keeping the glass on the inside of the tank clean?

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
I like this one a lot but I would want to make sure that it works with a range of cameras. Maybe I set it up with a universal threaded mount or GoPro style attachment?

I actually just purchased one of these Sony USB cameras to give it a try on one of my tanks. s-l500.jpg

So are you having issues with keeping the glass on the inside of the tank clean?
That camera looks awesome.. Please do share when you get it up and running.

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone guard for nero 3.
Hey Matt,

Here you go. I don't have a Nero 3 so I had to go off some measurements I found online. My guess is that it will be a tight fit. Also, I did not add any tabs to keep the cover in place because I don't know where to put them without having the Nero 3 in my hands.

Here is the link to the file. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4695451
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.38.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.41.04 PM.png

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Matt,

Here you go. I don't have a Nero 3 so I had to go off some measurements I found online. My guess is that it will be a tight fit. Also, I did not add any tabs to keep the cover in place because I don't know where to put them without having the Nero 3 in my hands.

Here is the link to the file. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4695451
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.38.58 PM.png
That's awesome, thank you so much! I'm going to try this asap.

Merry Christmas!
16087718071685337570215901551912.jpg

The fish guard doesn't really have anything either so that should be fine

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So here is what I came up with.

I design some magnetic brackets that should be capable of holding most cameras. The design consists of a top and bottom brace and uses the standard GoPro style attachment so you should be able to add a ton of accessories.

The bottom brace is magnetically attached to an identical wet side bracket. You could potentially attach things to the inside of the tank as well (maybe a seaweed holder?). The wetside bracket will also double as an algae scraper.

The upper bracket is designed for a rimless tank that is 4-8mm thick. The bracket slips onto the rim of the glass and is held in place with a couple of magnets. If you do not have a rimless tank you can print 2 of the bottom bracket combos and just use one the top and bottom of the tank.

The camera connections... This design will support 3 different mounting options.
1st: Threaded Mount
2nd: Standard GoPro Mount
3rd: Camera Shoe Mount

The best way to mount the camera (Including heavy cameras) would be to use the threaded mount attachment for the bottom bracket and the camera shoe mount attachment to the top of the camera. if done correctly it should be very secure.

I only created the bracket and the camera mounts. I did not create the different size arms (GoPro) that will be needed to make this work because you can find these everywhere.

Here is my scribble sketch.
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 5.20.40 PM.png

Bottom Bracket Mount

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.02.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.01.54 PM.png

Top Bracket Mount (rimless)

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.03.40 PM.png

Camera Attachments (Male & Female)

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.03.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.03.49 PM.png

The female mount is meant to be combined with a tripod threaded adapter like the picture below.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 5.33.46 PM.png

I am still finished up these designs so they will not be available on Thingiverse until tomorrow.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks this would be a huge help. First things first I have this tiny controller for the Tunze nano and would appreciate a mount I could drill to the wood
image.jpg

#2 What I use to control my tank is this kasa smart power strip

And at night the light on it annoys me. I know this isn’t a necessity so this one you could pass on if you’d like. I’d like a cover for that part. Maybe snap on
image.jpg

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, thank you so much! I'm going to try this asap.

Merry Christmas!
16087718071685337570215901551912.jpg

The fish guard doesn't really have anything either so that should be fine
I can see those 4 little tabs on the inside of the fish guard that would help to hold in in place.

The fish guard is designed to slip onto the back and not over the top of the Nero. That is why it doesn't need tabs to hold it in place. I could do that for my design but I would have to reverse the direction of the cord slot and probably narrow the diameter of everything.

I think you should just print it and give it a try. Then shoot me over the changes it needs and I will fix it up.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another cool one would be a iPhone mount for the tanks. Perhaps on a joint sideways so you can spin it to the side. This way you can base it off a single point

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see those 4 little tabs on the inside of the fish guard that would help to hold in in place.

The fish guard is designed to slip onto the back and not over the top of the Nero. That is why it doesn't need tabs to hold it in place. I could do that for my design but I would have to reverse the direction of the cord slot and probably narrow the diameter of everything.

I think you should just print it and give it a try. Then shoot me over the changes it needs and I will fix it up.
My brother is actually making this for me, and I won't be able to see him for a couple days but I will definitely get back to you!

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking to make myself a hang on sump/tank tool holder for things like the glass scraper, net and turkey baster. I have a printer and am good at CAD but very much just havn't gotten around to it.
A tool holder is a good idea for sure. Is your sum rimless? I am thinking that I should just create an attachment to the magnetic camera mounts I made above.

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another cool one would be a iPhone mount for the tanks. Perhaps on a joint sideways so you can spin it to the side. This way you can base it off a single point
The mounts above would totally work with a standard phone mount. The picture below is the mount that I use when attacking my phone to a tripod.
Phone Mount Image.png
This is the threaded mount that I would attach to the phone mount.
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 9.37.03 PM.png
The bottom of this would be connected to one or several extension arms and secured to the tank magnetically to the tank with the mount below.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.02.32 PM.png

dumpysauce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha awesome. I have very basic abilities and have made a few things for my tank. Nothing crazy. Been looking for a good mount for my UV to mount that I can take apart for maintenance fairly easily. My 3d skills are not that good yet ha

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha awesome. I have very basic abilities and have made a few things for my tank. Nothing crazy. Been looking for a good mount for my UV to mount that I can take apart for maintenance fairly easily. My 3d skills are not that good yet ha
Post a link to the UV sterilizer you use alone with a picture of where you want it to be mounted.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back