What do you recommend for a 1.5” over-the-trim return @ 800gph?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on one end- it’s an in wall 180. 72x24x24. I have a gyre xf250 on the same end, although I might move that to the other end and put it on the synergy shadow overflow. So gyre on one end and RFG or 2 on the other

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neil’s-in-wall-180-with-basement-fishroom.390436/

Post 96 for return, a little later for overflow
Well if it's on one end, I think you will be happy with a single 1". They are cheap and you could change your mind later on if you don't like it. If you are positive you want 2 RFGs I'd run the full flow with the 3/4" and get a smaller pump for your refugium,or run your refugium off the overflow and/or reactor outputs.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man, appreciate the help.

I might try the 1”. I literally just finished plumbing my fuge and getting the water flowing, so not looking to change up that design so soon.

Optimal flow for the 1” is 720-1000- seems perfect.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man, appreciate the help.

I might try the 1”. I literally just finished plumbing my fuge and getting the water flowing, so not looking to change up that design so soon.

Optimal flow for the 1” is 720-1000- seems perfect.
No problem

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The interior hole is the same on all nozzles so the only diffence is how easy it will be to add to your plumbing

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The interior hole is the same on all nozzles so the only diffence is how easy it will be to add to your plumbing

I’m not sure they are exactly the same, but they aren’t sized the same way 1/2-3/4-1” pvc progresses. There was s thread recently talking about this and the hole in the 1” rfg is a little bigger than in the 3/4”, but not by 1/4”, more like 1/16” or something.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it is the same size or not, but I think that they are larger sizes for the larger random flow generators.

If you are unhappy with the whole size, you can do what I did when I used to have flow accelerators and bore out the whole more.

The hole on the random flow generators is much larger than flow accelerators.

I am sure Vivid will be able to respond before I can on the hole size, but if they don't I will get you an answer at the end of the month, as I will be on vacation for the next two weeks.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure they are exactly the same, but they aren’t sized the same way 1/2-3/4-1” pvc progresses. There was s thread recently talking about this and the hole in the 1” rfg is a little bigger than in the 3/4”, but not by 1/4”, more like 1/16” or something.
4DB1998F-9BC0-400A-B3CF-3D197F84FC47.png

Ur right

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title- thinking of splitting my 800 gph 1.5” return with a y and doing 2 x 1” RFGs straight onto the pvc.

Will my flow be too low for that? Should I do 2x 3/4” instead ? Do you do them as pvc slip or just the locline?

Thanks!!
sorry I'm so late to this conversation - Been rocking the show at @MACNA for that past few days. One more day to go...

I read through the thread and as others have suggest I think with the setup you have described, you would be better off with dual 3/4in RFGs or a single 1in RFG - specifically if you go the 1in RFG rout, the 1in Slip-fit version would be the way to go. It use our original RFG design and pushes water a bit further than our RFGS100LL, which has the shorter geometry design and creates a wider pattern instead .

I can spend a bit more time analyzing your question and your setup when we get back but hope that helps for now and gets you on the right path

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I might go with the 1” slip fit. As long as it’ll handle 800-900gph, that’ll work for me.

Interested in seeing a flow vid of that combo, if at all possible. With the grid of little propellers? Cool set up.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I might go with the 1” slip fit. As long as it’ll handle 800-900gph, that’ll work for me.

Interested in seeing a flow vid of that combo, if at all possible. With the grid of little propellers? Cool set up.
Sure, we can get that video for you - give us a few days, as we need to get the demo tank set back up. Just got back from MACNA and it's sitting in the warehouse.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance to do a vid of the1” at 800gph flow? Thanks!
OK I have a few videos for you. The first is the flow test we shot just for you. It's little rough but gets point across.

The second video, you may or may not have seen - we released this vido when we release the 1in RFGS100LL nozzles - it shows the nozzle at 500GPH as well as at 900GPH.

Hope that helps
@Bulk Reef Supply has the 1in RFGs in stock here.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome- thanks so much!!

You recommend putting it about 1.5” below the surface?

I pulled the trigger on one from BRS a couple days ago- be here Wednesday.

Appreciate it very much!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome- thanks so much!!

You recommend putting it about 1.5” below the surface?

I pulled the trigger on one from BRS a couple days ago- be here Wednesday.

Appreciate it very much!

Yea - if you could get it 1.5in below the surface you should be good for just about any amount of flow you can push through it. When measuring the depth, you'll want to measure from the top-edge of the Jet (the part that connects to the NTP fitting) as that is where the siphon break will occur.

Also, it's important to note - that the NTP fitting that coems with that nozzle will fit threader pipeand schedule 80 bulkheads perfectly, but may fit loose on standard vinyl bulkheads (the cheap ones). This is do to lax standards on some of the bulk heads. it's an easy fix though, just a few wraps of tephlon tape or some silicone on the threads when you assembly it.

Back