What do you think of when you read this phrase about reefing?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm speaking at the WaterBox Family Reunion in a couple of weeks and the topic is "Community: Learn how a Community Powered by Social Media is Growing our Industry." I have some ideas on where I want to go with this talk but I want it to be meaningful, impactful and really make people think about the importance of community in our hobby.

So if you don't mind do me a favor and answer me this question.

What do you think of when you read the phrase, Reefing Community?

Also please feel free to add any thoughts you have on the subject.

PS. The head shot they used was after a baptism at our church! HA!
FR-Speaker-DavidHammontree.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the evolutionary pace of the hobby is driven by forums and social media communities it is not driven exclusively by formal research

Thousands of people intertwining anecdote and outcome form patterns and techniques that either seat or go away in the hobby

we aren't awaiting permission from anyone to skirt the old rules of setup, wait times, order for stocking, care methods, invasion control methods

We are the driving force for time scale changes in the way things are done in the hobby

Social media as a pattern validator: vibrant algae doser.

Reviews-driven sales, justifiably so, no formal peer reviewed work showed me vibrant it was a dude in a forum post.
Thousands of community members say it works on valonia, few say it doesnt.

sold

vibrant scooted Mithrax crabs out of top contender for valonia control solely by strength of social media, a shift occurred via community / quorum feedback strength and pattern

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my opinion the evolutionary pace of the hobby is driven by forums and social media communities it is not driven exclusively by formal research

Thousands of people intertwining anecdote and outcome form patterns and techniques that either seat or go away in the hobby

we aren't awaiting permission from anyone to skirt the old rules of setup, wait times, order for stocking, care methods, invasion control methods

We are the driving force for time scale changes in the way things are done in the hobby

Social media as a pattern validator: vibrant algae doser.

Reviews-driven sales, justifiably so, no formal peer reviewed work showed me vibrant it was a dude in a forum post.
Thousands of community members say it works on valonia, few say it doesnt.

sold

vibrant scooted Mithrax crabs out of top contender for valonia control solely by strength of social media, a shift occurred via community / quorum feedback strength and pattern

Thank you for that insight!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reading that phrase I think of R2R. The reason I say that is because people can come here for a free collaboration of collective information. Social media makes it easy to receive advice on almost anything instantaneously.

Thank you for being a part of it!

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I think of reefing community, I think R2R. I love the diversity here. From an ethnical/geographical point, people from different walks of life, and even from the array of folks being esteemed professionals/researchers, vendors, old school/new age, and even folks that are brand spanking new to the hobby. We are all so different. Different in many ways; but one thing unites us- our love for salt aquaria. I won’t even specify it to reefing, as there are folks on here with different setups like FOWLR’s, predator tanks, seahorses, etc. Albeit primarily anecdotal, the information shared on this forum and the culture being openly conducive to friendliness and sharing, allows us all a better insight and more information to work with. When I think of reefing community, well I think of how with all of our differences, we are all still connected. Imagine a world where we could put forth that energy into other facets and work with it without malice that runs rampant. Imagine what we could accomplish.

Bottom line: I freaking love all of you here!!!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I think of reefing community, I think R2R. I love the diversity here. From an ethnical/geographical point, people from different walks of life, and even from the array of folks being esteemed professionals/researchers, vendors, old school/new age, and even folks that are brand spanking new to the hobby. We are all so different. Different in many ways; but one thing unites us- our love for salt aquaria. I won’t even specify it to reefing, as there are folks on here with different setups like FOWLR’s, predator tanks, seahorses, etc. Albeit primarily anecdotal, the information shared on this forum and the culture being openly conducive to friendliness and sharing, allows us all a better insight and more information to work with. When I think of reefing community, well I think of how with all of our differences, we are all still connected. Imagine a world where we could put forth that energy into other facets and work with it without malice that runs rampant. Imagine what we could accomplish.

Bottom line: I freaking love all of you here!!!
Well said!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there's much more to it than just bringing people together, that's only the first part. The more critical part for this R2R community are the standards we all adhere to and are enforced and the structure that's been put in place to ensure the relevant topics and viewpoints remain the focus of the forum.

Read any reefing community YouTube comment section to see what can happen without structure, moderators and enforcement. An online community cannot be great without the proper structure and controls in place.

However, with what's been done here in setting up a higher standard of conduct, you have allowed others to develop similar attitudes and a sense of responsibility and to be 'self-policing' if you will to keep this community together. This feeds on itself and really should be model for other social media sites. "Hands off free and open discussions" may sound like some ideal, but will often quickly devolve into bullying anarchy because...people.

With the negatives out of the way or at least very well managed and minimized, we can now, as a community, discuss ways of increasing our voice as one to vendors, wholesales, livestock providers on all range of issues, concerns, desires and drive the hobby forward.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second definition of community from Oxford did it better than I could:

a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals

It's not only the knowledge and help thing, but its that instant bond with others who share the pain and joy that comes with this hobby.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think about it the same way I think of other "communities". There is no one reefing community in the literal sense. There's a bunch of smaller communities made up of individuals. We all share a love of reefing. Forums like this allow us all to intersect and share information. Then the forums become little communities of their own as well. But if you are talking about the "reefing community"as a whole, that's just everyone who is into reefing regardless of how they interact.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man some great comments here! Really well thought out. Thank you for that!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly in any hobby when hobbyists come together there is an undertow of pride and competition.

Think about it..... any hobbyist in ANY hobby brings their pride&joy into the fold and ultimately say to themselves one of several things

* I suck and I need to majorly up my game

* I'm doing ok but have opportunities to improve

* I have a lot of experience and think my reef is the bomb. I'M ALWAYS CORRECT and everyone else's opinion is not opinion.

* I have a lot of experience and it's my way or the highway

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly in any hobby when hobbyists come together there is an undertow of pride and competition.

Think about it..... any hobbyist in ANY hobby brings their pride&joy into the fold and ultimately say to themselves one of several things

* I suck and I need to majorly up my game

* I'm doing ok but have opportunities to improve

* I have a lot of experience and think my reef is the bomb. I'M ALWAYS CORRECT and everyone else's opinion is not opinion.

* I have a lot of experience and it's my way or the highway

Honestly I feel like the type of reefers you have mentioned are a minority. MOST of the people I interact with on a local and social media level want to learn, want to teach and are not afraid to admit failures. That's my experience.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of when you read the phrase, Reefing Community?

I think of all the great reefers here who have helped me and who I have helped. I have gained lifelong friends through the community and am extremely grateful for it. Reefing community to me is a place you can go to feel safe asking questions, troubleshoot issues, and overall general chit chat like you've got friends over for the football game. As far as R2R is concerned, I don't call it a "Reefing Community" I call it Home.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I feel like the type of reefers you have mentioned are a minority. MOST of the people I interact with on a local and social media level want to learn, want to teach and are not afraid to admit failures. That's my experience.
Its human nature to constantly compare what you're doing and your results to others.

For those wanting to learn...its only to gain an advantage so they can come back later and "one up you"

I've seen it 1.000.0000.000 times in every hobby

Sing along.... lol
I have something you dont have.
Do-da
Do-da

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Think of it as one collective mind. There is weath of information here by very experienced reefers. if you learn to filter out the noise, and follow that advice, you can become a very successful reefer.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, this community is not just about sharing information or asking for help. It's about sharing triumphs and failures. It's about sharing a laugh or a cry with people we come to know and care about.
While R2R is without a doubt the premier site to acquire reefing knowledge, it's SO much more!

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the reefing community (Reef2Reef) has been a huge part of how I went from a casual hobbyist just starting out, to a full blown lifetime hobbyist.

Reef2Reef has not just been a huge part of the above, but it keeps me engaged, learning and continues to spark my interest year after year by inspiring me when seeing members tanks, livestock, equipment, friendships, etc.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back