What do you use for a quarantine tank?

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to read up on fish diseases so I can spot them if I see them. I see a lot of people recommending having a quarantine tank. Is this a simple 10g or 20g tank with some water from the main tank? Or do you have a whole second setup? Or something in between?

I've been considering buying one of those little 13.5 gallon Fluval systems since those have all the heating and pumps but I don't know about keeping a fish in there for as long as two months.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I like to use 20g longs as they are cheap and easy to store. I have also used 40 breeders in the past for larger fish. I simply have a heater, hob filter, small powerhead and a ammonia badge. Best of luck :)

Edit. Obviously the qt should be cycled before adding fish. There are many ways to accomplish this

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term, I use a 29 gallon that's always running. It's got an ATO and UV. It's more of a coral QT, because I do TTM with plastic totes 99% of the time with new fish. If the situation is unusual, I maybe put a fish in the 29 for observing. I've got a 10 gallon also, but no ATO. It's stored away. I've even used 5 gallon buckets.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cheap 10g from the pet store along with an aquaclear 70 hob filter. The hob filter is quite noisy, but it's big enough to hold filtration and a small heater inside.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple 10-20 gallon (depending on the fish in question) with a hob, heater, and sponge filter is all you really need.
I’m currently using the fluval 13.5 as my qt, but only because it’s left over from an upgrade.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon tank and heater with a HOB filter with pieces of sponge I cut up and stuck in the back

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back