What do you use for to monitor your tanks water parameters ?

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to eventually get some nifty auto system that connects to WiFi and shows me all my tank info but currently I just use Hanna checkers. What do you reefers use to monitor your tanks water parameters?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert for parameters, ATC refractometer with calibration liquid for salinity. Inkbird and 2 heaters.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to eventually get some nifty auto system that connects to WiFi and shows me all my tank info but currently I just use Hanna checkers. What do you reefers use to monitor your tanks water parameters?
I use Api - I know its heresy - but I get general results - i.e. in my tank I dont care if the alkalinity is 8.3 or 8.6 I just want to Make sure its not 'low' or extremely high. I found hanna checkers to be expensive, cumbersome - not all that accurate etc. But -whatever you use to test - if you come up with an unexpected result - I recommend retesting with another test kit.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use Api - I know its heresy - but I get general results - i.e. in my tank I dont care if the alkalinity is 8.3 or 8.6 I just want to Make sure its not 'low' or extremely high. I found hanna checkers to be expensive, cumbersome - not all that accurate etc. But -whatever you use to test - if you come up with an unexpected result - I recommend retesting with another test kit.
BTW - the reason for this - is simple (IMHO) - what is going to change alkalinity quickly - Perhaps a problem with a doser or some other mistake - in that case - you might need multiple tests (or perhaps - as in my case - where my xxxx controller dosed 1 liter of BRS Ca and Alk in a short time) - I just rode it out. SPS - mostly dead. But - after 6 months coming back. We will see

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex with trident, Hanna, and red Sea test kits. For salinity I have a Hanna digital tester, Milwaukee digital refractometer, and a cheap optical refractometer.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I will eventually like to switch to something that can measure all levels automatically. curious to see what people run for this and what does it measure ?

For now testing every sunday with hanna digital kits .

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kits (Hanna, Salifert, tropic Marin), refractometer, multiple thermometers. I keep a spread sheet of all maintenance, dosing, inhabitants, etc.
I’m interested in also tracking via spreadsheet…don’t suppose you have a nice template you’d care to share do you?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in also tracking via spreadsheet…don’t suppose you have a nice template you’d care to share do you?
Mine is pretty rudimentary. Give me a minute and I’ll see if I can post it (it’s in Numbers, which is Apple’s version of Excell, but I think they’re compatible).

edit: for some reason my phone is not allowing me to attach the spreadsheet with the ‘attach file’ button, if you dm my your email, I can email it to you, though like I said it’s pretty basic, just the date on the vertical axis and all of the additives, water changes, feeding, changing out the floss, carbon, and misc maintenance across the top/horizontal axis).

Last edited:

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Apex for daily measuring and logging.

I test every few months using Hanna checkers to ensure readings from Apex haven’t drifted.

I make time to enjoy my tank every day as part of my routine. Easy because it’s in the living room. But I do inspections during this time.

If something looks off during daily inspection, I’ll inspect gear and sump and do ad-hoc tests using Hanna checkers if I suspect a parameter issue.

Just the other day my duncans (best barometer for over all tank health for me) looked ticked. Everything “seemed fine“ so I went to a round of Hanna tests and found out my PO4 was significantly higher than normal.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 4 Automated testing units exist that I know of, if there are more, I'd love to hear about them:

GHL Profilux (via ION Director & KH Director)*
Neptune Apex + Trident
Mastertronic + Alkatronic**
ReefBot

*You do not need a Profilux to utilize the ION Director and KH Director, but you will lose the ability fo temp monitor, ORP monitor, Salinity Monitor, and pH Monitor.

**Mastertronic also tests Alkalinity just like Alkatronic, but the Alkatronic can do it more frequently or something like that, you'll have to read more about it.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium note, keeps track of parameters, livestock and aquarium equipment. It's also free.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use all hanna and probes on my Apex unit

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back