WHAT DO YOU USE TO CHECK SALINITY AND WHICH HAS WORKED BEST ???

BRS

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve been trying to do some research on digital salinity readers but the reviews on majority have been horrendous … obviously when dealing with salinity you need to be as accurate as possible to avoid destroying your tank

thanks for your opinions

68413A58-A50B-4432-994A-C6769864CD6F.jpeg

Gtinnel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I mostly use a Milwaukee digital refractometer and occasionally double check my reading with an optical refractometer and verify they're both right with some home made 35ppt test solution. I also have the salinity probe on my apex that monitors it (although the numer is not accurate so I just use it to look for salinity changes).

My favorite is the Milwaukee digital refractometer.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
J

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I see a lot of Milwaukee fans.. any downfalls you guys have came accross ? Calibration issues ? Cleaning issues? How accurate is each reading?? Do you notice changes if you test back to back ?

Gtinnel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I see a lot of Milwaukee fans.. any downfalls you guys have came accross ? Calibration issues ? Cleaning issues? How accurate is each reading?? Do you notice changes if you test back to back ?
It works great for me. You calibrate it with distilled water (honestly I rarely calibrate I just check it with diy test solution), just dry off the little testing well after use and clean it with rodi water (also I rarely clean it, I dry it with a microfiber towel after using it and when I go to test next I'll fill the well up with tank water, remove that water, and then put my sample on it. I don't know that it helps with any possible salt residue effecting my results but I still do it).

Accuracy is where you will see some bad things about it. According to Milwaukee it's accuracy can be off as much as +/-.002, which is a big range. If you'r sample is at 1.026 then it can theoretically read that as 1.024-1.028 which is a huge range for what we use it for. That is the reason that I almost didn't get one. The best I can say is that when I use a solution with a known salinity it reads it correctly. If I restest the same sample I get the same results everytime.

I don't regret getting one.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
After fighting with calibration and trying to keep my red-sea optical refractometer accurate, I just gave up on it.

The tropic marin high precision is by far the best simply because it cannot drift.

No mucking about with creating/purchasing standards, no guessing games, no questions, just accurate readings every single time.

The only down side is that it is glass and therefore fragile.

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
BRS

PICK the Most Tested & Least Tested Parameters of your Tank (Pick 2)

• Calcium (most)

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Alkalinity (most)

Votes: 105 75.5%
  • Magnesium (most)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Phosphate (most)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • PH (most)

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • Nitrate (most)

Votes: 9 6.5%