WHAT DO YOU USE TO CHECK SALINITY AND WHICH HAS WORKED BEST ???

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to do some research on digital salinity readers but the reviews on majority have been horrendous … obviously when dealing with salinity you need to be as accurate as possible to avoid destroying your tank

thanks for your opinions

68413A58-A50B-4432-994A-C6769864CD6F.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly use a Milwaukee digital refractometer and occasionally double check my reading with an optical refractometer and verify they're both right with some home made 35ppt test solution. I also have the salinity probe on my apex that monitors it (although the numer is not accurate so I just use it to look for salinity changes).

My favorite is the Milwaukee digital refractometer.

OP
OP
J

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see a lot of Milwaukee fans.. any downfalls you guys have came accross ? Calibration issues ? Cleaning issues? How accurate is each reading?? Do you notice changes if you test back to back ?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see a lot of Milwaukee fans.. any downfalls you guys have came accross ? Calibration issues ? Cleaning issues? How accurate is each reading?? Do you notice changes if you test back to back ?
nope, nope, nope, it's as accurate as anything I've used to "spot check it", nope.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works great for me. You calibrate it with distilled water (honestly I rarely calibrate I just check it with diy test solution), just dry off the little testing well after use and clean it with rodi water (also I rarely clean it, I dry it with a microfiber towel after using it and when I go to test next I'll fill the well up with tank water, remove that water, and then put my sample on it. I don't know that it helps with any possible salt residue effecting my results but I still do it).

Accuracy is where you will see some bad things about it. According to Milwaukee it's accuracy can be off as much as +/-.002, which is a big range. If you'r sample is at 1.026 then it can theoretically read that as 1.024-1.028 which is a huge range for what we use it for. That is the reason that I almost didn't get one. The best I can say is that when I use a solution with a known salinity it reads it correctly. If I restest the same sample I get the same results everytime.

I don't regret getting one.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After fighting with calibration and trying to keep my red-sea optical refractometer accurate, I just gave up on it.

The tropic marin high precision is by far the best simply because it cannot drift.

No mucking about with creating/purchasing standards, no guessing games, no questions, just accurate readings every single time.

The only down side is that it is glass and therefore fragile.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back