What do YOU use to cut FRAG PLUGS?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard people use bone cutters, saws, etc. Planning to get corals in the next week or so and I hate the look of frag plugs. If there’s any household items that you use to remove them, please comment what you use below.

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why reefer don’t tell other reefers. So I’ll tell you. Bone cutters are big toe nail clippers. You can get small to medium versions on eBay for like 5 bucks. Just make sure you get the stainless steel ones.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a large pair of wirecutters. Lineman cutters
You probably have something in your tool box
They come off pretty easy.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well removing coral from plugs is different than removing the stems of plugs, but for the latter I also use bone cutters/shears. Some plugs are easier than others to work with. I’ve come across some plugs that require no effort at all and others that I needed two hands to snip off.

Some coral just can’t be removed from plugs safely, unless you have a band saw or something, so you just learn to live with it and hope the coral encrusts quickly lol.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well removing coral from plugs is different than removing the stems of plugs, but for the latter I also use bone cutters/shears. Some plugs are easier than others to work with. I’ve come across some plugs that require no effort at all and others that I needed two hands to snip off.

Some coral just can’t be removed from plugs safely, unless you have a band saw or something, so you just learn to live with it and hope the coral encrusts quickly lol.
I just want to remove as much as possible or to the point where it doesn’t look like a circle disk and out of place.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah then bonecutters/shears or lineman cutters as suggested above will work pretty nicely, and you can use them to snip off parts of the plug base that may not be covered by the coral as well, if you want to get surgical.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some frags are so encrusted onto the frag plug that I'll just remove the stem instead of the entire plug and glue the disc where I want it. I've found my tin snips do a good job for this. If I can get the entire frag off of the plug, I use one of those razor scrapers that you would use to remove a sticker from the windshield. Just go slow and work your way around the frag.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some frags are so encrusted onto the frag plug that I'll just remove the stem instead of the entire plug and glue the disc where I want it. I've found my tin snips do a good job for this. If I can get the entire frag off of the plug, I use one of those razor scrapers that you would use to remove a sticker from the windshield. Just go slow and work your way around the frag.
Yeah for those encrusting corals like cyphastrea, I’m not going to worry about removing the plug but I’ll be dipping for sure. Tin snips are a good idea too.

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used my bone cutters. If some frag plugs need more than bone cutters, I have used my Dremel tool and have not had any issues. But it all depends on how encrusted the plug is with the coral. If encrusted, then I just cut the stem off.

Back