What do you use to cut Real Reef Rocks?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several big slab pieces of real reef rock that I want to cut in half horizontally (not vertically) to save weight.
I have a Gryphon XL bandsaw but I think it would damage the saw if I use it on the dense Real Reef Rock.
Is there a solution. A tile saw may work but which one is strong enough?

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick the rock in a vise and use a grinder with a cutting wheel, goes right through it and it's cheaper to chew up some wheels then it is a band saw blade. Wear eye protection whatever method you choose though.
What do you mean by "stick rock in a vise and use grinder with a cutting wheel"?
Do you have a photo of such a device?

GJak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a standard bench mounted vise that's large enough to hold the rock in place. Wrap it in a towel, tighten the vise and then go to town on it with an angle grinder and metal cutoff wheel. Goes right through the rock.

B503726.jpg

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a standard bench mounted vise that's large enough to hold the rock in place. Wrap it in a towel, tighten the vise and then go to town on it with an angle grinder and metal cutoff wheel. Goes right through the rock.

B503726.jpg
OH, so that is what a vice look like. I do not have many tools in my garage. Learn something new everyday. Thanks.

GJak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cheaper than diamond blades and they cut easily through man made rock. Not sure what you would be worried about when it comes to contamination. Rinse off the dust, soak them if you feel better about it and stick them in the tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use a hammer and wood chisel or my bandsaw with a diamond coated blade.
I do this as well.
If you want to cut it along a line. Just use the wood chisel and tap lightly in a line across the spot you want to cut off.
Then go back and tap it a little harder in the same spots.
Wood chisels are cheap and handy to have around.

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grinder has a guide to protect from flying debris. However, it limits how far I can cut my slab. I have really big real reef rock slab that measures approximately 11 inches by 9 inches. I do not want to remove the guide for safety reason. Do I have to settle with only cutting small pieces only and have to resort to gluing the small slabs together?

Rodneyri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grinder with diamond blade
6kL8YYg.jpg

Dremel for shaping finer bits
2fDmaEf.jpg

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grinder has a guide to protect from flying debris. However, it limits how far I can cut my slab. I have really big real reef rock slab that measures approximately 11 inches by 9 inches. I do not want to remove the guide for safety reason. Do I have to settle with only cutting small pieces only and have to resort to gluing the small slabs together?

Kind of old but I was having this same issue. You can use a "Reciprocating Saw" with a "Diamond Blade" and cut larger pieces that the 4 1/2" grinder cannot reach through. With something that thick, I would definitely have some water handy to drop on while cutting to help keep the blade cool.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back