What do you use to suck?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Dinos outbreak in my sand. I was going to try the method of siphoning it out into a bucket with a filter sock at the end of the tube. My question is, what do people use to siphon?

Do you have a pump with a hose on each end, or are you using a gravel vacuum, or something else?

When you siphon the sand, is the sand coming out too? And if so, do you toss that sand or rinse, and it goes back in the tank?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small pump with a hose at each end (one to suck it up, the other discharging into a sock), gravel syphon during a water change, turkey baster... a bunch of ways really.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve typically use a gravel vac during normal water changes, but when I go through the sand it gets clogged with sand and stops working. That’s why I was wondering if I pump would be better, or will that get clogged with sand too?

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pull a siphon with a small length of hose, if you want to save the sand rinse with a little h2o2 and dump it back in.
932BC1F5-4D30-4D50-BC1B-B320956C80ED.jpeg

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gravel vacuum for open areas and turkey baster for around the glass and rocks. I try not to remove sand so have to control the suction. I did purchase an inline pump but the hose is to thick and hard to work with so haven't actually use it.

TigNJaxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve typically use a gravel vac during normal water changes, but when I go through the sand it gets clogged with sand and stops working. That’s why I was wondering if I pump would be better, or will that get clogged with sand too?
Before it gets to the point of clogging, lift *** up a bit, let the sand fall back into the tank, then you can keep going.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use heavy vinyl tubing with some pvc pipe stuck in one end.
If you dont wish to suck on it place the tube in the tank and let it fill with water. Cover the end with your thumb and lower it to the bucket. The siphon will start.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a pump its going to clog faster. Kind of tricky really. Something that help have a bigger hose, and slower siphon. I like to have a kinked piece in my hand. When I see it starting to suck too much sand I close kink.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I’ll be able to describe it in detail .

I use a vacuum to siphon water from the tank.
holding my finger over the end of the hose to regulate flow .
if sand gets too high restrict the flow a little to let the sand settle .
some does make it to the bucket .
you can rinse it and add it back to the tank , or flush it along with the old tank water .

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Dinos outbreak in my sand. I was going to try the method of siphoning it out into a bucket with a filter sock at the end of the tube. My question is, what do people use to siphon?

Do you have a pump with a hose on each end, or are you using a gravel vacuum, or something else?

When you siphon the sand, is the sand coming out too? And if so, do you toss that sand or rinse, and it goes back in the tank?
There is a video on youtube that clearly demonstrates how to effectively and efficiently syphon your subtrate. It is demonstrated on a freshwater tank, but the principle is the same.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back