What do you want from your club?

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Griswold, CT and trying to help get our club up and running but if it's OK I'll share what I want out of my club. I first sought out a club because I was new and looking for info on getting the basics of my system going. After that , as there weren't any stores near me I was looking for things to put in my tank. I was fortunate that I was able to find a variety of free and $5 frags to cut my teeth on. Nothing special, just basic softies, but as a newbie they were great. When I went to my first CT club meeting I was a little disappointed in that it was more formal and educational. I guess I was hoping for a better opportunity to "meet and greet" other club Members that I'd talked to on line. At this point I hope my club will once again have an active forum (like this one), a mix of meetings, virtual and in person, tank tours, casual local get-togethers, diy clinics, club member group buys, club members assisting others in the group both new and old. Buying and selling and more old school Trading amongst members. The big reef shows are nice but it seems like it's a lot of work by a few people. That's about it for now.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I did attend a few meeting. Some of the meetings had things like fragging demos and people got to leave with frags. We also had monthly raffles with some really nice prizes at times

When I first started they used to have a very nice introduction segment where they would go around the room and introduce yourself and your forum name and a quick description of your system.

In the forums we also used to post if you have any frags you wanted to sell at the upcoming meeting and the transactions could be scheduled ahead of time

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what is said above, and I'd like (when covid is less an issue) for more knowlegable or even just as a second opinion from time to time - members who are willing to stop by and help diagnose an issuse. Or maybe some assistance with a tank move.

JakeAndAmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Griswold, CT and trying to help get our club up and running but if it's OK I'll share what I want out of my club. I first sought out a club because I was new and looking for info on getting the basics of my system going. After that , as there weren't any stores near me I was looking for things to put in my tank. I was fortunate that I was able to find a variety of free and $5 frags to cut my teeth on. Nothing special, just basic softies, but as a newbie they were great. When I went to my first CT club meeting I was a little disappointed in that it was more formal and educational. I guess I was hoping for a better opportunity to "meet and greet" other club Members that I'd talked to on line. At this point I hope my club will once again have an active forum (like this one), a mix of meetings, virtual and in person, tank tours, casual local get-togethers, diy clinics, club member group buys, club members assisting others in the group both new and old. Buying and selling and more old school Trading amongst members. The big reef shows are nice but it seems like it's a lot of work by a few people. That's about it for now.
I have to say my favorite part of going to the club meetings was the raffles. A member brought in a bunch of bags of cheato, one sold bottles of phytoplankton, and the fragging demonstrations were pretty cool. I don’t really recall much in the way of fish though other than a make your own food demonstration they did. I like to watch the brs YouTube videos with Ryan, my daughter calls them my boring fish shows, what if we did some meetings with presentations, tank showings, and maybe even the raffles somehow online? Maybe with zoom or something like that? Just spitballing

JakeAndAmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say my favorite part of going to the club meetings was the raffles. A member brought in a bunch of bags of cheato, one sold bottles of phytoplankton, and the fragging demonstrations were pretty cool. I don’t really recall much in the way of fish though other than a make your own food demonstration they did. I like to watch the brs YouTube videos with Ryan, my daughter calls them my boring fish shows, what if we did some meetings with presentations, tank showings, and maybe even the raffles somehow online? Maybe with zoom or something like that? Just spitballing
Lol just saw the link for ctars zoom meetings two seconds after I posted this. So um yeah, disregard lol

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol just saw the link for ctars zoom meetings two seconds after I posted this. So um yeah, disregard lol
I think zoom meetings will continue to be a great option even after we get through covid. I really like the virtual raffle idea.

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally it was always difficult to make it to the meetings before but I've always got a kick out of those "home shows" clubs put on. The idea of getting to see and ask how others run their system is what I'm interested in getting from a local club.

I'm still a bit of a novice but after 2 years I'm starting to get some strong opinions about what works for my reef. Id love a reef Sensei to show me what I'm missing and share knowledge with.

Nowadays this can be done all over zoom or the like.

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally it was always difficult to make it to the meetings before but I've always got a kick out of those "home shows" clubs put on. The idea of getting to see and ask how others run their system is what I'm interested in getting from a local club.

I'm still a bit of a novice but after 2 years I'm starting to get some strong opinions about what works for my reef. Id love a reef Sensei to show me what I'm missing and share knowledge with.

Nowadays this can be done all over zoom or the like.

Do like a reefing version of MTV cribs or pimp my ride

JakeAndAmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I never wanted to ask for help. It felt like everyone else was an expert and I was too embarrassed I guess to even say I have this problem how do I fix it. I’m at about 5 years in now and I’ll be the first to admit I know nothing and everything is a guess. If your new ask questions and ask a bunch because reefer experience from these guys is like gold. Also I always hated driving to Manchester from New London, once in a while is fine but the location never changed to different areas for people who didn’t live so close.

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will be doing "in person" meetings along with zoom meetings as we move forward.
Let's give this new BOD a chance! I think good things are ahead. Just hang in there and let us get organized. I believe it's going to be a vibrant and active club.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was there a meeting tonight?
Yes, we had 2 presentations.
Sustainability in farming fish and DSB's. It was almost 2 hours long but it surely didn't seem like it.

Going forward, I think the club will be very interactive. Zoom meeting and once covid lifts, in person meetings. It's a good time to join and watch us grow.

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we had 2 presentations.
Sustainability in farming fish and DSB's. It was almost 2 hours long but it surely didn't seem like it.

Going forward, I think the club will be very interactive. Zoom meeting and once covid lifts, in person meetings. It's a good time to join and watch us grow.
Ok I don't recall seeing anything for the invite, definitely want to join, was on 2 other calls prior.

Thanks,
Dan

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan we are working on getting some things figured out. I think we'll have a refreshed page soon which will make things easier. Hang in there.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 52 29.2%
Back