What Do You Wish You Had Known Before Ordering a Custom Tank??

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I’m about ready to pull the trigger on putting my deposit down for my big tank upgrade and I’ve gone back and forth with a couple of configurations whether it be height, width, overflow style, stand considerations, etc. I think I’ve landed on a 48x24x18 (90G) from Reef Savvy.

What do you wish you had known or considered before ordering a custom tank??

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having just gone through this process about a year ago now with Miracles the only thing that might be related to Reef Savvy is how they finished the silicone seams. There are a couple ways to do it and I had envisioned tooled seams which leaves that inside curved look on the silicone. Miracles didn't do this and I didn't ask for it either as I kindof thought it was standard. They left a non tooled but still taped seam which looks like this...
20190813_132816.jpg
20190813_132829.jpg

They actually turned out REALLY nice and have a much slimmer look that the regular tooled seams which is great on a peninsula.

Also look at what kind of livestock you wish to keep, and plan your tank around that, if you're happy with one of the smaller tangs than your good but if you ever want one of the larger ones you might need more length as well.

I went with a shallow tank for easy maintenance with a single piece eurobracing. It looks phenomenal and has the added benefit of water not getting all over the side panels when you put your hand in the tank. It's also a nice ledge for testing if you need to or keeping tools close when doing regular maintenance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I went wider than the typical 24". It is an arbitrary common number, but doesn't really let you make a good "depth" within the aquascape.

I’ve considered going wider than 24” as well. 24” is double my current width. What’s attractive about it is my LED spread will still cover most of that surface area (or at least 20” of it where the rock and coral mostly are) and it seems wide enough considering my plans for a minimalist look. But I’ve definitely been tempted to go wider. What do you wish you had gone with instead of 24”?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve considered going wider than 24” as well. 24” is double my current width. What’s attractive about it is my LED spread will still cover most of that surface area (or at least 20” of it where the rock and coral mostly are) and it seems wide enough considering my plans for a minimalist look. But I’ve definitely been tempted to go wider. What do you wish you had gone with instead of 24”?

I have a tank being delivered today that is 44x28x14. I think 28-36" gives excellent width.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having just gone through this process about a year ago now with Miracles the only thing that might be related to Reef Savvy is how they finished the silicone seams. There are a couple ways to do it and I had envisioned tooled seams which leaves that inside curved look on the silicone. Miracles didn't do this and I didn't ask for it either as I kindof thought it was standard. They left a non tooled but still taped seam which looks like this...
20190813_132816.jpg
20190813_132829.jpg

They actually turned out REALLY nice and have a much slimmer look that the regular tooled seams whi is great on a peninsula.

Yeah that looks great! I opted for armored seems so I’m assuming same thing? I haven’t really been able to get a look at what those look like on a Reef Savvy though. Hopefully somebody has an example. I almost went peninsula style but ended up settling on the front view with the black back-panel.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that looks great! I opted for armored seems so I’m assuming same thing? I haven’t really been able to get a look at what those look like on a Reef Savvy though. Hopefully somebody has an example. I almost went peninsula style but ended up settling on the front view with the black back-panel.

Not the same thing, your seams will be wider because the armoured seams use a 1/4" piece of angled cut glass to reinforce the corners.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the same thing, your seams will be wider because the armoured seams use a 1/4" piece of angled cut glass to reinforce the corners.

Ah gotcha, thanks for the clarification! Hopefully I can find an example of what that looks like, their website doesn’t provide much by way of an example photo. Hard to visualize solely based off the description.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I’m about ready to pull the trigger on putting my deposit down for my big tank upgrade and I’ve gone back and forth with a couple of configurations whether it be height, width, overflow style, stand considerations, etc. I think I’ve landed on a 48x24x18 (90G) from Reef Savvy.

What do you wish you had known or considered before ordering a custom tank??

I've had two custom tanks made, my advice is:
Get quotes from several builders.
Don't count on the estimated delivery time being accurate :)
Go as big as you think you'll ever want.
Getting the stand from the tank builder makes it easier.
Don't accept anything you're not completely satisfied with.

Edit to add one more - pay attention to how responsive the builder is before they get your money. If it's lacking, imagine how bad it might be after delivery if there's an issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two custom tanks made, my advice is:
Get quotes from several builders.
Don't count on the estimated delivery time being accurate :)
Go as big as you think you'll ever want.
Getting the stand from the tank builder makes it easier.
Don't accept anything you're not completely satisfied with.

Great advice. Still tempted to go bigger (of course!), but have been trying to balance keeping things economic and convenient and easy over my lust for a massive tank! Haha

Why do you believe getting the stand from the tank builder makes it easier?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice. Still tempted to go bigger (of course!), but have been trying to balance keeping things economic and convenient and easy over my lust for a massive tank! Haha

Why do you believe getting the stand from the tank builder makes it easier?

Removes potential warranty issues, most places won't warrant a tank if they didn't build the stand. It's also nice having the stand complete and ready to put the tank on when you get it.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removes potential warranty issues, most places won't warrant a tank if they didn't build the stand. It's also nice having the stand complete and ready to put the tank on when you get it.

Wow, didn’t think of tank warranty. Great to know. Thank you! Fortunately, I think the tank will be sitting a couple months before getting set up anyway on my end, so timing isn’t a huge issue but nonetheless useful to consider.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a reef savvy video and they either said they wont warranty the tank on a self build stand or the stand has to be "audited" by them, for them to warranty the tank. Definitely ask them about the warranty on the tanks before you decide to build or buy a stand.

Actually I just found this on their site.

What kind of a stand do I need for a Reef Savvy aquarium?

Professionally built by a licensed carpenter. The stand needs to be perfectly level and flat with no pressure points. It needs to have a solid hardwood plywood top and minimum of 1″ foam on top of the plywood. It may not sit on the perimeter of the stand like off the shelf aquariums with plastic trim, which ours do not have. Aquariums must come flush to stand edges, they cannot hang over edges or be supported by undersized stands. All intended structural support points must be in contact with their intended surface. Modifications made to our stands will void warranty. If you’re not using one of our stands, please email us your plans for approval. Stands that have not been approved by Reef Savvy will void warranty. Aquariums using stands bought through Reef Savvy have a 2 year warranty, Aquariums using stands approved by Reef Savvy have a 1 year warranty. It is the customers responsibility to contact Reef Savvy, submit the plans and get approval for stands not sold through Reef Savvy.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a reef savvy video and they either said they wont warranty the tank on a self build stand or the stand has to be "audited" by them, for them to warranty the tank. Definitely ask them about the warranty on the tanks before you decide to build or buy a stand.

Actually I just found this on their site.

What kind of a stand do I need for a Reef Savvy aquarium?

Professionally built by a licensed carpenter. The stand needs to be perfectly level and flat with no pressure points. It needs to have a solid hardwood plywood top and minimum of 1″ foam on top of the plywood. It may not sit on the perimeter of the stand like off the shelf aquariums with plastic trim, which ours do not have. Aquariums must come flush to stand edges, they cannot hang over edges or be supported by undersized stands. All intended structural support points must be in contact with their intended surface. Modifications made to our stands will void warranty. If you’re not using one of our stands, please email us your plans for approval. Stands that have not been approved by Reef Savvy will void warranty. Aquariums using stands bought through Reef Savvy have a 2 year warranty, Aquariums using stands approved by Reef Savvy have a 1 year warranty. It is the customers responsibility to contact Reef Savvy, submit the plans and get approval for stands not sold through Reef Savvy.

Great info. I was planning on getting my stand from them anyway but thought I’d explore all options just because. But that seals the deal. Thanks!

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine barely fit through my doorway due to a wall in my hallway..had about 1/4 in clearance....didnt see that coming at all!!!!now i know its the biggest tank i can fit in my room

Haha good to know...but let me be clear...WALLS WILL COME DOWN FOR THIS TANK IF NECESSARY! lol

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back