What does “distinct pairing” mean?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On FishBase it says for some species that there is “distinct pairing” between conspecifics. I have seen this for Potter’s Angels and Fiji Damsels (and other Chrysiptera), to give an example. What do they mean by “distinct pairing”? Does it mean that these species only spawn in pairs / get along in pairs and shouldn’t be kept in a harem?
Regarding the Centropyge example, this conflicts with Scott W. Michael’s book on Angels which says that Potter’s can form both pairs and harems and spawn in both arrangements.
I just want to know if “distinct pairing” means the species shouldn’t be kept as anything more than a pair.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On FishBase it says for some species that there is “distinct pairing” between conspecifics. I have seen this for Potter’s Angels and Fiji Damsels (and other Chrysiptera), to give an example. What do they mean by “distinct pairing”? Does it mean that these species only spawn in pairs / get along in pairs and shouldn’t be kept in a harem?
Regarding the Centropyge example, this conflicts with Scott W. Michael’s book on Angels which says that Potter’s can form both pairs and harems and spawn in both arrangements.
I just want to know if “distinct pairing” means the species shouldn’t be kept as anything more than a pair.
Just going off of what I know distinct means and what pairing is, I think it’s something where you can clearly see the gender of each fish. Distinct usually means clearly, and with pairing it’s usually a male and a female.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back