What does a spoon a hose and a rubber band have in common with reefing?

Have you ever used a spoon, hose and rubber band together to remove algae?

• YES

Votes: 31 6.7%
  • NO

Votes: 230 49.6%
  • What the heck? (see the thread)

Votes: 203 43.8%

• Total voters

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone made a setup that sucks up the algae/crud but immediately returns the water to the tank/sump?
Yes with 400l/h small pump and on the pump output a hose, which have 50 micron filter sock. On the intake hose attached to rigid acr. pipe5mm ID 7mm OD (3'' long enough to keep it by hand for hard to reach places) and the end is 45deg bend with teeth to scrape easy from the LR whatever I want. Algae, ciano, and it work well for vermetid and aiptasia for me. Suck it all and filter the water straight in the tank, sometimes in the sump. For the aiptasia I put the rubber typ end from Rigid pipe spot feeder, and suck the aiptasia straight out of the tank, some times have to repeat the process 1-2 times but after no aiptasia on the near areas (turn off all pumps to can suck it completely w/o leaving tentacles or aiptasia matter to flow away and reattach to grow).

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just run my hose through a filter sock in the sump. Continuous pickup of debris, with constant return of water to the sump.

I do this too. But I try to suck it up and just do a water change.

So what do you use to create the siphon? Is there a bulb in the hose to suck or are you actually sucking it to get going. (BLECH)

Wait, what??? You don’t start syphons with you’re mouth? You’re not a true Reefer until you’ve invested at least 5 gallons of tank water. Please turn in your reefing license.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this too. But I try to suck it up and just do a water change.

Wait, what??? You don’t start syphons with you’re mouth? You’re not a true Reefer until you’ve invested at least 5 gallons of tank water. Please turn in your reefing license.
I think I get my hazardous duty reefing license for getting micro electrocutions from my tank last month ... I'll forgo the sucks salt water full of fish poo license. Nope ... definitely a nope.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used an old Magnum canister filter with the polishing filter along with various scrapers, brushes and implements of algae destruction.. Worked well to recycle the water right back into the tank.. Yes I have a lot of old crap.. but it still works.. ! I would imagine most any canister filter could do the same thing.. Just dont lift your hose out of the water while in use.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What types of algae is everyone using this idea on? I have massive amounts of hair algae and my fingers are dang near raw from trying to pinch it off... I hope this will work?!?
You can test it, and depending how good tool you done, better jobe you can finish with it, just don't give up, try this or this, ideas here enough, you will catch it at the end by yourself :)

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to add a note.. 2 doses of Vibrant as directed. will loosen hair algae up really well.. then suck and scrape.. The thing I found with Vibrant is it does weaken the hold of algae.. if you pull it after a couple doses, it tends to not come back with a vengence.

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is neat, I use this for cleaning my rocks and other stuff I want to get into and give a good cleaning. It is just the small detail brush from a shop vac kit on a hose. I then run the hose through a filter sock and pump the water back into the tank so I can go at it for however long I need to without needing to add water. I do AWC so this is my once a quarter maintenance task.

20201022_115602.jpg

omg, I love that, never thought of it, got to make my own now...

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes with 400l/h small pump and on the pump output a hose, which have 50 micron filter sock. On the intake hose attached to rigid acr. pipe5mm ID 7mm OD (3'' long enough to keep it by hand for hard to reach places) and the end is 45deg bend with teeth to scrape easy from the LR whatever I want. Algae, ciano, and it work well for vermetid and aiptasia for me. Suck it all and filter the water straight in the tank, sometimes in the sump. For the aiptasia I put the rubber typ end from Rigid pipe spot feeder, and suck the aiptasia straight out of the tank, some times have to repeat the process 1-2 times but after no aiptasia on the near areas (turn off all pumps to can suck it completely w/o leaving tentacles or aiptasia matter to flow away and reattach to grow).
Hi this is exactly what I logged in to ask. Have you got any pics of the set up?

Thanks

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back