What does adding Hydrogen Peroxide do to tank chemistry and organizims in tank

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only a small amount of experience dosing h202. I am currently doing it my nano. I have GHA, GBA, cyano and dinos... Yeah. it's that bad. I don't even have any fish in it. It's SPS dom. I put about 5 turbos in there and they're taking care of the GHA quite nicely. My dosing isn't affecting corals at all, not does it seem like it's "zapping" any algae, but it's certainly making it weaker and stopping it's growth. This is exactly what I want anyone, a quick die off would absolutely destroy my water quality.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I love most about peroxide is how usage in tank shrugged off all rules and boundaries from early gatekeepers based solely on collective results. We forced reefing to accept a tool it didn't want to accept, awesome.

On paper, peroxide in a reef calculates to bad I guess after done balancing equations. But in aquariums it's the single best cheat liquid I've ever been shown it 100% saved my reef early on.

My new high humidity terrarium is getting typical white mold in areas, where's my spritzer

Last edited:

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I love most about peroxide is how usage in tank shrugged off all rules and boundaries from early gatekeepers based solely on collective results. We forced reefing to accept a tool it didn't want to accept, awesome.

On paper, peroxide in a reef calculates to bad I guess after done balancing equations. But in aquariums it's the single best cheat liquid I've ever been shown it 100% saved my reef early on.

My new high humidity terrarium is getting typical white mold in areas, where's my spritzer

I think that's the best thing about this hobby. Can find different ways to beat old paradigms and make it much better/easier.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been dosing 1ml/10 gallons for 5 days and have not seen any effect, good or bad.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s based on the orp readings posted before during after, peaks and troughs show about 4 hours till the rebound back up/ pre dose levels

Given no organics and just a clear glass container dosed, how long is the breakdown on paper curious to know if vastly longer or shorter

other than orp drops/raises in that order I don’t know of any other way typical aquarists could be gauging any aspect of its duration.
I don’t believe ORP is a good way to track an oxidizer or reducer, or the complex effects that may follow. For example, ozone rapidly breaks down, but the oxidizing products that form, like bromate, may last much longer, continuing the ORP effect without ozone being present.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. It was the only thing we had to go off of though from posters who dosed, that and coral behavior rough rebound estimates

would you agree the effect of peroxide, secondary and primary, is about four hours max in any aquarium since organic presence / slicks etc are requisite

orp action post peroxide is reported nearly always 4 hours trough/rebound even from orp posts from ten yrs ago. Along with Dans direct peroxide consumption testing -under four hours each setting except non organic test- this seems to be a quick actor...no residual issues after a few hours, tank to tank, tying all together as best as possible? We just want general insight into timeframes dosers can use to stay within range vs dosing too soon and compounding

I'm shocked by the amount of peroxide they're dosing for disease challenge in the fish forum...it's so many times more than what we thought was possible in the algae battle threads. They're dosing more than 1ml per gallon, wow. I still think it's amazing the absolute end all claim from early no- peroxide gatekeepers was the risk to biofiltration. That notion is smashed, gone. Undone by anecdoters

It's not even possible for skeptics to claim we need more time to understand impacts on filtration bacteria...it's ten years of testing in a hundred thousand reefs. Patterns are trustworthy imo. Before dosing we predict the entire tracking of what peroxide will do and safety outliers don't happen, these patterns are tight~

The day of attaching filtration bacteria risk to any form of reasonable peroxide use is officially done with. that's a neat milestone for rule breakers.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reluctant to assume there is no impact after 4 h since changes that might be caused (e.g., possible changes in trace elements) may be longer lasting.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what’s the most effective way of dosing? I just pour it right over the water surface. In seconds, I hear my snails smacking around on the glass and then see my zoas close up. Is there a better way?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what’s the most effective way of dosing? I just pour it right over the water surface. In seconds, I hear my snails smacking around on the glass and then see my zoas close up. Is there a better way?

I put it in the return chamber of my sump.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we need a chemist and a biologist to join the discussion :)

I wonder how long peroxide stays together once it hits tank water and encounters so much catalyst?

Hydrogen peroxide lasts 1 hour in my system

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'd say so, since I started using it you can see the drop every 12 hours when I dose.
Screenshot_20190822-072129_Apex Fusion.jpg

This does not make sense. Add an oxidizer and the ORP value drops?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orp drops in a reef tank when dosing peroxide, paradoxically to what we would think. It then rebounds in a few hours going off the threads we can locate

I don’t know how the slow metering afforded by the oxydator changes the status if any

It was written that cleaving organic molecules in some way/acid production for that interval caused the drop but I don’t know the specific chemistry
search out orp readings in a reef tank post peroxide - all initial drops.

So in a clean glass pitcher of water (zero organics) then adding peroxide I’d love to see orp comparisons to a reef tank, maybe with no organics it raises?

H2O2 can react with organics but I have my doubts that it can react this quickly. I need to poke around for rate data. The ORP change seems to be happening on the order of mixing in the aquarium, but why is the ORP decreasing.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'd say so, since I started using it you can see the drop every 12 hours when I dose.
Screenshot_20190822-072129_Apex Fusion.jpg

This drop seems normal. It is a pH effect, otherwise, it should go up.

“Note that the dissociation constant (pKa) of hydrogen peroxide is 11.62, and hypochlorous acid (HOCL) is 7.4, expressed in terms of pH. It then becomes obvious that the peak activity of the Eo for hypochlorous acid is very near the pH of the water being treated, and the H2O2 is considerably higher. Thus, H2O2 would express a much lower ORP value at pH 7.4 than would hypochlorous due to the vast difference in the pKa constant.”

From Researchgate

“Simon - did you find the answer to this question? I have experienced the same result but I can't find a good explanation for the cause. My test conditions are 0.5M NaCl at 65°C. I injected H2O2 to produce 3 ppm H2O2 in solution and found that the potential dropped by about 150 mV”

36F0C0AB-B415-4250-9A33-9EC4C2D2447E.jpeg

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey another angle I thought of regarding nitrifiers, thanks to Seneye we have a way to monitor the slightest dropoff in nitrification of a given bioload at a given temp when / if insulted by peroxide...things that would normally run consistent pre dosing will show in the + thousands or hundred thousands- spike, the minute some nitrifiers aren't able to do what they were just doing before dose.

prediction: no stat significance for any reasonable amount of peroxide. I think its too weak to cut through insulating biofilm layers given any decent maturity time for the tank

-what if we dose bottle bac in a new system- and then some peroxide, will it kill the bac?

No, ive already tested that in a lab for generalized aerobes, same group as nitrifiers and it's babywater. I bet it takes 35% to start a cut. * I don't mean undiluted 3% am meaning 3% into tank/which we see causes the start of consumption likely due to organics inherent in the salt mix. that is not antimicrobial enough to measure, am betting.

we couldn't get 3% peroxide to disinfect anything on contamination tested surfaces in a meatpacking plant, it was worthless at dissolving biofilm unless amazing prep work was done to surfaces and they were not any form of extra surface area. 3% Peroxide is decently antimicrobial on a teased out cell on a slide w no protection, exactly the opposite of how they present in nature.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey another angle I thought of regarding nitrifiers, thanks to Seneye we have a way to monitor the slightest dropoff in nitrification of a given bioload at a given temp when / if insulted by peroxide...things that would normally run consistent pre dosing will show in the + thousands or hundred thousands- spike, the minute some nitrifiers aren't able to do what they were just doing before dose.

prediction: no stat significance for any reasonable amount of peroxide. I think its too weak to cut through insulating biofilm layers given any decent maturity time for the tank

-what if we dose bottle bac in a new system- and then some peroxide, will it kill the bac?

No, ive already tested that in a lab for generalized aerobes, same group as nitrifiers and it's babywater. I bet it takes 35% to start a cut. * I don't mean undiluted 3% am meaning 3% into tank/which we see causes the start of consumption likely due to organics inherent in the salt mix. that is not antimicrobial enough to measure, am betting.

we couldn't get 3% peroxide to disinfect anything on contamination tested surfaces in a meatpacking plant, it was worthless at dissolving biofilm unless amazing prep work was done to surfaces and they were not any form of extra surface area. 3% Peroxide is decently antimicrobial on a teased out cell on a slide w no protection, exactly the opposite of how they present in nature.

So is 1 ppm H2O2 really a placebo?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back