What Does Increase Feeding Mean?!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! There’s a couple ways to “increase feeding”

1- Increase the amount fed. Say you feed once a day, continue feeding once a day but feed a larger amount of food (like 2 cubes instead of 1). This really only works if you have lots of fish that can put down quite a bit of food at one time. I don’t recommend this for smaller tanks or tanks with less than 6-8 fish
Okay sorry, I never finished this!
2- increase the number of feedings. So feed like 2 or 3 times a day instead of just one. I recommend this for smaller tanks or tanks with less fish.

3- start feeding your coral! If you’re already feeding them, I would suggest upping the frequency rather than amount because feeding a greater quantity is probably just wasting your reefroids. Instead of once a week feedings maybe try 2x a week

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add another fish anyway. What are your thoughts on skipping a WC?
You can skip, just watch your trace elements (iodine for example). Your corals will continue to use it but you won’t be replenishing via water change. It may be worth it to look into a trace element solution you can dose

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add another fish anyway. What are your thoughts on skipping a WC?
I do it all the time! Water changes are only necessary when the water needs to be changed. If your nutrients are truly at where you say, then you have no need to do a water change.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard this. What’s the gist of it?
Paul B ‘s tank is 50 years old and he never loses fish to disease such as ich, even though he adds new fish all the time, some covered in ich. Basically the fish become immune to parasites through exposure and eating foods that have living bacteria, such as blackworms, whiteworms, fresh seafood, and even frozen aquarium food like Reef Frenzy.

The theory is fish from the sea are being constantly exposed to parasites such as ich and develop immunity to them. When they’re collected and brought to the LFS they still have some of that immunity, but lose it in quarantine and copper treating.

Using this method I haven’t lost a fish to disease in my 4 years of reef keeping, knock on wood. The problem is if your fish have been treated and quarantined already, you can’t immediately switch to the PaulB method as they have to develop immunity again.

Does that explanation sound right @Paul B ?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B ‘s tank is 50 years old and he never loses fish to disease such as ich, even though he adds new fish all the time, some covered in ich. Basically the fish become immune to parasites through exposure and eating foods that have living bacteria, such as blackworms, whiteworms, fresh seafood, and even frozen aquarium food like Reef Frenzy.

The theory is fish from the sea are being constantly exposed to parasites such as ich and develop immunity to them. When they’re collected and brought to the LFS they still have some of that immunity, but lose it in quarantine and copper treating.

Using this method I haven’t lost a fish to disease in my 4 years of reef keeping, knock on wood. The problem is if your fish have been treated and quarantined already, you can’t immediately switch to the PaulB method as they have to develop immunity again.

It’s funny, that sounds exactly like what I’ve done for the past decade with great success. I don’t think I’ve ever lost a fish to disease.

Cool to know there’s a philosophy behind it.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can skip, just watch your trace elements (iodine for example). Your corals will continue to use it but you won’t be replenishing via water change. It may be worth it to look into a trace element solution you can dose
I have an Aquaforest Iodine solution on hand I need. I have trace element on hand as well. I'm just gonna continue with my routine as per usual and get my numbers checked at a store next time I'm there. Everything in my tank is happy and growing so, no need to disturb the peace lol

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've read that as well. It seems everybody has their own version of "quarentining" glad it's worked for him and you :)

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it all the time! Water changes are only necessary when the water needs to be changed. If your nutrients are truly at where you say, then you have no need to do a water change.
I'll get a second opinion on my levels first before I mess with my reef. Good plan tho!

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question folks if you don't mind...my LFS uses Hanna testers and some other quality tester...should I have them test my water BEFORE I do a water change or AFTER I do a WC or BOTH?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I can't believe someone actually read what I posted and actually does it.
Don't tell to many people or these forums will go out of business because there will be no more need for the most visited forum, the disease forum. :rolleyes:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back