What does it mean when bamboo shark has little red spots

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty it would be best to take these animals back where you got them or give to someone local at this point. You are in way over your head and nothing any of us can do to fix the situation unless you can provide a better home for them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does it mean if the shark has red spots
image.jpg
Hi, I’ve seen some threads about this shark. It looks really thin to me, that is probably the underlying issue here. The red spots have a generic term, petechia. Sometimes sharks get them on their belly and it isn’t really of any consequence. In other cases, they are a sign of systemic infection.
Jay

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it?
Reading through your previous posts I see it’s in a 125 gal. I’m sure many others have said it but I would find it a bigger home. Sharks require special care and they aren’t the best beginner predator. They can reach over 35” in length and require large rounded tubs upwards of 800 gallons.

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this probably isn’t what you want to hear, but is it an option for you to take your animals back to the (or an) LFS? At least just for a temporary hold?

It looks (judging from your ammonia levels) like your tank is too immature to handle the bioload presented by the shark, eel, and other livestock.

If you can’t find someone to temporarily house them in a stable, mature tank, they may be better off if you sell them and repurchase in the future.

Good luck, though, and I certainly wish you success!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At this point, assume ammonia is high as it could also be a false reading. Tomorrow, take a water sample to a Trusted LFS and have them test your ammonia-ph-nitrate to verify your readings.
Perform a large water change (about 25%) and add a vitamin admixture directly to their water such as Selcon. Red bumps can be external parasite or as Jay indicated . . . Petechia which is often treated well with Formalin bath. Ruby Rally Pro would be very safe.
Is shark feeding ?
Just posted last week for another shark owner, this may help you understand your shark:
The bamboo shark (also sometimes called a cat shark) is a beautiful animal that is a common pet for aquarium hobbyists due to its comparatively small size of about 40 inches. They are relatively easy to keep, once an aquarium has been prepared for them. Bamboo sharks are bottom dwellers and will rarely come up to the top of the tank. Therefore, if you are trying to choose between differently shaped tanks of similar size, choose the one with the largest bottom surface area. This will give your shark plenty of room to swim around. Round or hexagonal tanks are best, as the corners of a rectangular tank will restrict the shark's swimming motion.
Sharks are carnivorous creatures that eat a lot and produce a lot of waste. It is important to have an effective filtration system to keep the water clean. Both an aquarium carbon filter and a protein skimmer are recommended. Like any aquatic animal, it's also important to keep the water temperature comfortable for your shark. A temperature of 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal for bamboo sharks.
Your bamboo shark will eat foods such as uncooked shrimp, scallops, mussels, and pieces of fresh marine fish, squid or octopus. Cut any large food into bite-sized pieces. Do not feed your shark common feeder fish such as goldfish or guppies which can have disease. These freshwater fish are not a natural food for bamboo sharks. If you wish to feed your shark live food, use silversides or sand eels. Bamboo sharks only need to be fed every two or three days. Give the shark a large portion of food a few times a week. If it loses weight, increase feeding. A juvenile shark should grow, but if an adult shark shows signs of weight gain, reduce the amount of food. When you first feed your shark, it may be hesitant to eat. Providing live food such as saltwater feeder shrimp and fresh cockle (in the shell) may help entice it to eat. If it takes a few days to start eating, don't be alarmed. These sharks can survive a few weeks without eating.
Last thing to know. . . A clean aquarium is important to keep your shark healthy. Clean/replace the filters often, and change the water when necessary. Your protein skimmer will need to be emptied approximately every other day. Follow package instructions for replacement of carbon filters. When water becomes overly soiled (i.e. cloudy), you will need to change it. This will require large containers full of RODI filtered and salted water, and pumps to remove the old water while adding the new.
The shark should not appear to be "panting" or be overly lethargic. Its eyes and skin should not have any discolorations or white spots. Sharks are prone to bacterial and parasitic infections. This can cause discoloration of the skin, frequent "yawning," and chaffing on the bottom of the tank. Be watchful for any of these behaviors when raising your shark.

justinbarone627

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, assume ammonia is high as it could also be a false reading. Tomorrow, take a water sample to a Trusted LFS and have them test your ammonia-ph-nitrate to verify your readings.
Perform a large water change (about 25%) and add a vitamin admixture directly to their water such as Selcon. Red bumps can be external parasite or as Jay indicated . . . Petechia which is often treated well with Formalin bath. Ruby Rally Pro would be very safe.
Is shark feeding ?
Just posted last week for another shark owner, this may help you understand your shark:
The bamboo shark (also sometimes called a cat shark) is a beautiful animal that is a common pet for aquarium hobbyists due to its comparatively small size of about 40 inches. They are relatively easy to keep, once an aquarium has been prepared for them. Bamboo sharks are bottom dwellers and will rarely come up to the top of the tank. Therefore, if you are trying to choose between differently shaped tanks of similar size, choose the one with the largest bottom surface area. This will give your shark plenty of room to swim around. Round or hexagonal tanks are best, as the corners of a rectangular tank will restrict the shark's swimming motion.
Sharks are carnivorous creatures that eat a lot and produce a lot of waste. It is important to have an effective filtration system to keep the water clean. Both an aquarium carbon filter and a protein skimmer are recommended. Like any aquatic animal, it's also important to keep the water temperature comfortable for your shark. A temperature of 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal for bamboo sharks.
Your bamboo shark will eat foods such as uncooked shrimp, scallops, mussels, and pieces of fresh marine fish, squid or octopus. Cut any large food into bite-sized pieces. Do not feed your shark common feeder fish such as goldfish or guppies which can have disease. These freshwater fish are not a natural food for bamboo sharks. If you wish to feed your shark live food, use silversides or sand eels. Bamboo sharks only need to be fed every two or three days. Give the shark a large portion of food a few times a week. If it loses weight, increase feeding. A juvenile shark should grow, but if an adult shark shows signs of weight gain, reduce the amount of food. When you first feed your shark, it may be hesitant to eat. Providing live food such as saltwater feeder shrimp and fresh cockle (in the shell) may help entice it to eat. If it takes a few days to start eating, don't be alarmed. These sharks can survive a few weeks without eating.
Last thing to know. . . A clean aquarium is important to keep your shark healthy. Clean/replace the filters often, and change the water when necessary. Your protein skimmer will need to be emptied approximately every other day. Follow package instructions for replacement of carbon filters. When water becomes overly soiled (i.e. cloudy), you will need to change it. This will require large containers full of RODI filtered and salted water, and pumps to remove the old water while adding the new.
The shark should not appear to be "panting" or be overly lethargic. Its eyes and skin should not have any discolorations or white spots. Sharks are prone to bacterial and parasitic infections. This can cause discoloration of the skin, frequent "yawning," and chaffing on the bottom of the tank. Be watchful for any of these behaviors when raising your shark.
My marbled has rebelly spots and chaffing parameters are ammonia 0 nitrite and nitrate 0 what can i used to treat him i did does prazipro going on second treatment because looks like he has mucus on his skin i just got him recently

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My marbled has rebelly spots and chaffing parameters are ammonia 0 nitrite and nitrate 0 what can i used to treat him i did does prazipro going on second treatment because looks like he has mucus on his skin i just got him recently
Is your shark eating?
Can you post a picture?
A short video would also allow us to judge how fast it is breathing.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He stopped eating a few days ago and now randomly lays on his side
Oh, that is a super serious infection, I don’t think there is anything you can do for it. It is probably a bacterial infection. Antibiotics, a broad spectrum , gram negative one like Neomycin would be a possible choice. However, it can take at last 3 days for it to work, and I’m worried the shark just doesn’t have that much time - sorry!
Jay

justinbarone627

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. I think he is not going to make it.
I have two sharks from this vendor same issues. I have sharks that I have hatched from eggs no issues but this guy isn't doing well I want to know if I get another shark what can I do to prevent diseases, bacterial infections and parasites my water is always prestine and I feed my sharks daily or every other day so I know water parameters and good eating schedule are good on that end I just need to know treatments and preventative treatments I can do

justinbarone627

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that is a super serious infection, I don’t think there is anything you can do for it. It is probably a bacterial infection. Antibiotics, a broad spectrum , gram negative one like Neomycin would be a possible choice. However, it can take at last 3 days for it to work, and I’m worried the shark just doesn’t have that much time - sorry!
Jay
I have two sharks from this vendor same issues. I have sharks that I have hatched from eggs no issues but this guy isn't doing well I want to know if I get another shark what can I do to prevent diseases, bacterial infections and parasites my water is always prestine and I feed my sharks daily or every other day so I know water parameters and good eating schedule are good on that end I just need to know treatments and preventative treatments I can do i have NEOPLEX KANAPLEX METROPLEX AND FOCUS AND I HAVE PRAZIPRO

Attachments

• 1635195558710.gif
    1635195558710.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 99
  • 1635195558760.gif
    1635195558760.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 69

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sharks from this vendor same issues. I have sharks that I have hatched from eggs no issues but this guy isn't doing well I want to know if I get another shark what can I do to prevent diseases, bacterial infections and parasites my water is always prestine and I feed my sharks daily or every other day so I know water parameters and good eating schedule are good on that end I just need to know treatments and preventative treatments I can do i have NEOPLEX KANAPLEX METROPLEX AND FOCUS AND I HAVE PRAZIPRO

Your attachments seem to be GIF files, but I couldn't open them.

Neoplex would be the antibiotic I would go with.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What test kit(s) are you using to check water ?
If API- you may be getting false readings as API is notorious for false readings which have let down many reefers hence the low price of $21 for a master Test kit

justinbarone627

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit(s) are you using to check water ?
If API- you may be getting false readings as API is notorious for false readings which have let down many reefers hence the low price of $21 for a master Test kit
Api but i do weekly partial changes 25%

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Api but i do weekly partial changes 25%
That may or may not necessarily be a solution as you are changing water to an unknown reading and after 25% may still be high.
I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API kits and see what reading they com up with. Clean water s essential and critical especially as sharks produce quite a bit of waste.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back