What does my foxface have? I think he has whitespot but not sure

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone

So i have attached a picture of my poorly foxface I am treating him for whitespot but could you guys advise if this is the right way or not? Is it indded whitespot or not? Any help would be appreciated.

#reefsquad

78D76108-D44B-4E3A-AE2B-2728B9EEF4DA.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What meds are you using?

Could be ich, but as small and numerous as the spots, it makes me wonder about velvet or brook.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure looks like velvet. How to treat below:

Freshwater dip and then into a bath of Ruby Reef Rally and then into a QT with one of the below paths to treat:

or

OP
OP
F

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What meds are you using?

Could be ich, but as small and numerous as the spots, it makes me wonder about velvet or brook.

So i put in API Whitespot cure and API Melafix which did absolutely nothing at all. He has not distress like he would have with velvet and what does Brook do?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Early Stage" Brook can present very much like ich or velvet.

Brook eventually results in the skin of the fish appearing to slough off. Brook can be a rapid killer.

A freshwater dip can be very helpful for Brook, velvet, and ich.

The "uncountable" number of small spots is a strong symptom of velvet. . .

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's velvet (or ich) you want to use copper.

Copper Power is good stuff.

OP
OP
F

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brook eventually results in the skin of the fish appearing to slough off. Brook can be a rapid killer.

Thank you so much for your input, I've never seen a fish so bad if i'm honest which made me very worried, i'm going to give him a freshwater dip then put him in the QT with some copper im hoping that fixes him. Thank you so much for your guidance

OP
OP
F

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also i know it might seem a bit of a silly question but what QT set up do you have?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i know it might seem a bit of a silly question but what QT set up do you have?
For medium to small fish:

20 gallon long
Aquaclear 50 HOB
Small powerhead
Foam Bubble filter
Heater
light
Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge
1/2" sand on bottom
A couple of large PVC fittings
A couple of plastic aquarium plants.
Screen on top of tank

Tank: painted dark blue on back and ends to create a cave like environment. Helps fish relax.

HOB filter: In the filter with the foam pad, add a mesh bag of Fluval BioMax or Seachem Matrix.

Bubble filter: foam pad

*** the foam pads (HOB and bubble) and mesh bag are soaking 24/7 in my display tank's sump. So they are ready when needed.
Or soak the pads and BioMax or Matrix with Biospira or equivalent overnight before use and then pour the liquid into the quarantine/hospital tank.

OP
OP
F

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic thank you for the advice, I had no idea a dark back would help the fish to relax, so an update on my foxface he now has brown spots on his skin which has changed from the predominant whitespot like appearance........is this common with brook or have you never encountered this?

OP
OP
F

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't so easy to see but also in addition to this the foxface has like a white film coming off of him, he isn't swimming into the powerheads or anything he is acting as he normally would do....any idea people?

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

OP
OP
F

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 30 days?
Hey,

Yes we did so we added the foxface, a porcupine puffer and blue spot tang....the question is if this is the case then what do I do as none of the others are unwell? However i do not know if this has any bearing on things but my CC are dead as are my snails but not sure if that is as a result of putting in the medication in the tank?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to say thanks to everyone who is helping, I was shocked when I saw the fish but I know zip about diseases, good luck. :)

OP
OP
F

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to say thanks to everyone who is helping, I was shocked when I saw the fish but I know zip about diseases, good luck. :)
@najer a big thank you seeing as you pointed me in this direction, the community is awesome and is so helpful

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the new fish might have introduced a pathogen into the tank. I would suspect the Tang but I also know that puffers often carry these pathogens too. They might have developed but immunity to it, but your other fish may not have had time to prepare. Even your CuC can be culprits.

Best of luck and I hope your Magnificent Foxface pulls through! I know they’re otherwise a very resilient, borderline bulletproof species unless they’re severely weakened / stressed.

From now on I would also suggest running a UV sterilizer as an extra layer of prevention. Get the best one possible.

What else do you have in the tank? Is the Foxface getting bullied?

OP
OP
F

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For medium to small fish:

20 gallon long
Aquaclear 50 HOB
Small powerhead
Foam Bubble filter
Heater
light
Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge
1/2" sand on bottom
A couple of large PVC fittings
A couple of plastic aquarium plants.
Screen on top of tank

Tank: painted dark blue on back and ends to create a cave like environment. Helps fish relax.

HOB filter: In the filter with the foam pad, add a mesh bag of Fluval BioMax or Seachem Matrix.

Bubble filter: foam pad

*** the foam pads (HOB and bubble) and mesh bag are soaking 24/7 in my display tank's sump. So they are ready when needed.
Or soak the pads and BioMax or Matrix with Biospira or equivalent overnight before use and then pour the liquid into the quarantine/hospital tank.
Just wondering how much copper did you put in your QT? :) would a water dip do any harm at all?

OP
OP
F

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the new fish might have introduced a pathogen into the tank. I would suspect the Tang but I also know that puffers often carry these pathogens too. They might have developed but immunity to it, but your other fish may not have had time to prepare. Even your CuC can be culprits.

Best of luck and I hope your Magnificent Foxface pulls through! I know they’re otherwise a very resilient, borderline bulletproof species unless they’re severely weakened / stressed.

From now on I would also suggest running a UV sterilizer as an extra layer of prevention. Get the best one possible.

What else do you have in the tank? Is the Foxface getting bullied?
That could make sense because my puffer and basically all of the other fish are totally fine, I wasn't aware that puffers generally carry the pathogens. It's nice to know that the foxface is resilient because I want more than anything for him to be fully healthy and happy as with all my other fish. all of the CUC are dead sadly and we do run a UV Sterilizer as an extra layer as you suggested as we were advised to do so when we first started the tank up. So the foxface is the biggest fish in the tank but we have him, the blue spot tang, yellow tang, puffer, sandsifting goby, chromis and that is it at present I mean i lost my 2 clowns 2 days ago too.

Thank you so much for your advice it's much appreciated.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome, and once again I hope it all works out for you.

:( Losing Clownfish always hurts too. I don’t see how any reef tank can be complete without them.

I really hope your Foxface can recover from this and all your other fish will be fine! I’m like you. I treasure all of my fish and other livestock dearly and it would pain me to lose even a single fish.

OP
OP
F

firsttimeowner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome, and once again I hope it all works out for you.

:( Losing Clownfish always hurts too. I don’t see how any reef tank can be complete without them.

I really hope your Foxface can recover from this and all your other fish will be fine! I’m like you. I treasure all of my fish and other livestock dearly and it would pain me to lose even a single fish.
Definitely when the tank is healthy and all my fish are well i will be purchasing more clowns however I will be treating them with caution just in case as you never know, and its difficult because I used to have a gold rim tang who I was quite attached to and he used to follow me across the tank and follow my finger etc so it was upsetting to lose him. What fish do you?

Back