What does the optimum online coral vendor look like?

misoldier06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So I'm reaching out to the community in hopes of finding out what everyone's best online coral vendor would look like? What would you guys like to see and what do you dislike about the what's out there now? You don't have to name names as I prefer it that way. Just a little tidbit about what you prefer and what you don't.

Thanks guys!

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty simple. Large frags, not nubs, of healthy, pest-free coral.
ahh if only

Romance Yes GIF by ABC Network

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accurate pictures in different lights, free shipping and a reasonable DOA policy.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accurate pictures in different lights, free shipping and a reasonable DOA policy.
Free shipping seems a bit unreasonable. Fedex/Ups need to make money shipping things around too, that is there business at the end of the day.

I'm cool with paying the overnight shipping- it's the size of these frags that get's me. It's just like, c'mon man, I'd buy from your fancy new super-store-multi-floor-farm way more often if your frags weren't smaller than my dogs finger (paw?) nails.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So I'm reaching out to the community in hopes of finding out what everyone's best online coral vendor would look like? What would you guys like to see and what do you dislike about the what's out there now? You don't have to name names as I prefer it that way. Just a little tidbit about what you prefer and what you don't.

Thanks guys!
Local reefers are better than every online or LFS out there.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about locals make them better?
Better prices. Photos not usually doctored, better health, no shipping. Can actually see what you're buying.

OP
OP
misoldier06

misoldier06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free shipping seems a bit unreasonable. Fedex/Ups need to make money shipping things around too, that is there business at the end of the day.

I'm cool with paying the overnight shipping- it's the size of these frags that get's me. It's just like, c'mon man, I'd buy from your fancy new super-store-multi-floor-farm way more often if your frags weren't smaller than my dogs finger (paw?) nails.
I have to agree with Luiz on the shipping, overnight is just too costly and there's no store that I'm aware of that could take that hit on revenue. The margins are just too small.

And i do notice that in alot of vendors they will have two of the same type of coral just different sizes and they will be priced the same. I do feel like there should be a difference.

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man #1 has to be pest/algae free.. sadly that's sometimes why I chose the more "premium" vendors. I find their "qt" protocols to be a bit more successful.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free shipping wont happen, but it would be nice to have lower thresholds as far as what you have to buy to get free shipping. A lot of websites require you to spend at least $200 to get free shipping, seems a little steep to me.

OP
OP
misoldier06

misoldier06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better prices. Photos not usually doctored, better health, no shipping. Can actually see what you're buying.
I agree that they have better prices but they also don't have as much overhead to consider. Especially if they are running their business from home.

I want to disagree with you on health though, i think being in person with locals gives the appearance of healthier corals because they don't have to endure shipping when they go into our tanks.

Aimen to no shipping. I love being able to pick up and take directly to the tank.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that local reefers are definitely a better option. The only downside to local reefers is that they usually don't have much of a selection- which makes sense.

velvetelvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All aquacultured livestock. Accurately identified genus and species, with detailed and accurate care information. Scientific names in addition to nonspecific general terms like "tree coral" or hobby names. A diverse collection of soft corals (not just zoas, palys, and mushrooms!) in addition to the ever-popular SPS and LPS. Pictures taken in normal lighting instead of so blued-out that it makes my eyes hurt.

The last thing I'm concerned about is getting the biggest corals for the least money--that's why reefs get chopped up. I'm willing to pay more for healthy, sustainable, ethically sourced livestock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 107 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back