What does the term "Good Water Quality" mean to you?

What does the term "Good Water Quality" mean to you?

• Your aquarium water is in acceptable ranges measured by consumer level water tests

Votes: 184 46.5%
  • Your aquarium water is in acceptable ranges measured by ICP type testing

Votes: 60 15.2%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how your corals are growing and look

Votes: 230 58.1%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how little nuisance algae is growing

Votes: 68 17.2%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how it looks to you

Votes: 60 15.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This QOTD was sent to me via community member @zalick and it's a good one!

One of the first questions we ask anyone having an issue with their aquarium is "how is your water quality" or something similar. Or when we offer advice to newer aquarists we may tell them to make sure they "maintain good water quality." But what does that really mean? Let's talk about it!

1. What does the term “good water quality” mean to you?

2. Is "good water quality" something that Is measurable via chemical tests or ICP results? Maybe it's visual or something else?

image via @mike@Terry
9439797009_7837c591cf_b.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. What does the term “good water quality” mean to you?
Fish, Corals and other invertebrates are thriving.
2. Is "good water quality" something that Is measurable via chemical tests or ICP results? Maybe it's visual or something else?
No. There are a lot of organics that we can't measure chemically or ICP testing. In other words (IMO), just because an ICP or chemical test is in 'good range', does not necessarily prove 'good quality water'. That said, if, lets say a nitrate level is 200, that would bad quality water. Another example, lets say one coral is releasing toxins into the water - causing damage to neighbors. That is also not necessarily 'good quality' water

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a hybrid water testing, even basic hobby grade is good enough, just somewhere to guage a number and how your corals look. This will help create some stability.

But dont be fooled because mixed reefs you cant keep every coral happy by visuals and new corals need time to adjust.

It doesnt fall into chemestry but a par meter of sorts will help instead of guessing as well.

Just any form of a measurement is better then nothing and will put you way more ahead then those that try to wing it. Corals dont always show there unhappy streight away. Corals like acro can rtn within a day due to a swing, testing for stability and visual for coral happiness.

Goodluck and happy reefing!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the "corals growing and doing well", but a few months ago I made the mistake of watching mostly how my fish were doing (and oddly enough my corals were doing well too), but when I tested my salinity it was WAYYYY too high. Like 1.032 or something I can't remember exactly.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use DI RO water with TDS meter. Water comes out with zero TDS. Also constant Parameter testing, and maintainance. Weekly water changes of at least 30%. I have learned visual checks only verify bad conditions at a time were it is now a struggle to rectify

Books

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a young tank its all about clarity of water and how it smells. For mature tanks its just about how the corals are going
Use DI RO water with TDS meter. Water comes out with zero TDS. Also constant Parameter testing, and maintainance. Weekly water changes of at least 30%. I have learned visual checks only verify bad conditions at a time were it is now a struggle to rectify
What should it smell like?

Nicklepickle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes of 30%? I haven’t changed that much in 6 months.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is good water quality... hmmm...
when I don't have to change anything. Everything tests out and is thriving and looking amazing :)

alicel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I have been more worried about the overall appearance of my tank. I've been dealing with a lot of algae. I have a devils hand leather, in particular, that has just looked awful - no polyp extensions, leaning/not standing up straight, shrunk appearance..etc.
I was trying to do weekly water changes to maintain the appearance but the algae would just take over again after 3days or so, even though parameters were good. I'm sure that the algae is an issue and a huge concern for some, BUT... I decided to just sit back and not panic so much about the algae. It's been two weeks since my last water change. Just regular feeding and topping off and, to my surprise, my zoas and leather look so happy and healthy and fish do too. Polyps are extended, no zoas are closed up, the size of the leather seems to not be so shriveled up anymore.
So I'm just going to ride it out for another two weeks or so before the next water change. I guess my tank prefers "dirty" water??

Sunny in Miami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it's both visual and chemical testing. It's been said that just because your aquarium water looks clear it doesn't really mean that it's good for the inhabitants. Water can be clear but phosphate and nitrates or ammonia could exist.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like has been mentioned:
new tank keep it close to sea water.
mature tank, 2 years or older - how it looks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back