What else should I add to my 120G? Any recommendations?

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Looking to add some fish to my 120G. Tank has been up and running for about 2-1/2 months now looking to stock some more fish a little at a time. Once the tank matures a bit will be making it a mixed reef tank. Right now I have:
9 Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Yellow Tang
1 Hippo Tang
1 Powder Brown
and last but not least one of my favorite fish, the one spot foxface.
I was told my LFS that’s I'm pretty much maxed out on tangs, possible could add a kole yellow eye or naso if I really wanted too. Would really like angels and a copperband butterfly. Eerie to do so though considered I’m going for a reef tank. But for now thinking about adding a diamond watchman goby, and a couple of basslets or wrasse.
I am going through the “ugly stage” right now so was thinking about holding off adding anything else at the moment but I’m trying to control my patience lol.
What do you guys recommend?

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely would be good to add a diamond goby or even a pair of them. Beautiful fish to watch and will clean up the sand bed better than anything else out their. Could go with some fire or cleaner shrimps, six line wrasse or another reef safe one. How do you manage to keep 9 chromis!! any signs of the pecking order or are they all just managing fine? (Enjoy while it lasts...)

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
completely forgot about those guys! Lawnmower blennies are excellent additions if you have lots of algae growing around the tank!

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say that you are more than maxed out on big fish. Once those tangs and foxface grow for a year space will be tight and you are going to have big nitrate problems. I would focus on adding some smaller fish, ones that will stick to the sand or perch on the rocks. Blenny’s, gobies, maybe a royal gramma.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely would be good to add a diamond goby or even a pair of them. Beautiful fish to watch and will clean up the sand bed better than anything else out their. Could go with some fire or cleaner shrimps, six line wrasse or another reef safe one. How do you manage to keep 9 chromis!! any signs of the pecking order or are they all just managing fine? (Enjoy while it lasts...)
Well I actually cycled the tank with 12 chromis, and lost 3 to the cycle. But honestly the 9 chromis have been very peaceful not fighting or anything, they school all together around my tank. I assume that isn’t going to last very long? Lol!!!
Definitely going to grab a fire shrimp think they are so awesome especially when they set up their “cleaning station” and the fish get a cleaning from him. And definitely gonna grab a pair of watch men gobies definitely my next add.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say that you are more than maxed out on big fish. Once those tangs and foxface grow for a year space will be tight and you are going to have big nitrate problems. I would focus on adding some smaller fish, ones that will stick to the sand or perch on the rocks. Blenny’s, gobies, maybe a royal gramma.
Yes that’s what I was really leaning towards. I think I was just too excited to get some cool bigger fish in their without really thinking but I’m happy with the 4 fish I chose though. Going to add some little fish and really would like to get an eel in there also. Maybe a little snowflake, what do you think?

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s what I was really leaning towards. I think I was just too excited to get some cool bigger fish in their without really thinking but I’m happy with the 4 fish I chose though. Going to add some little fish and really would like to get an eel in there also. Maybe a little snowflake, what do you think?
I did similar when I setup my 120g several years ago, sadly I ended up thinning them down to a foxface and a yellow tang as they got aggressive when they grew. An eel would be really cool, I don’t know anything about them though so can’t provide any advice on them.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a couple of small fish like royal Grammy or purple Doty back and call it a day, sit back and enjoy! You may have to take one of the fish out in futures so try not to add the eel.

hotdogmj71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe this is only an issue with bristletooth tangs though

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back