What Emergency Battery Bubbler is Best?

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hurricane season, but also I’ve had a plan for a while to get battery bubblers to throw on the tanks when I go on vacation. If I’m home, I’ll just use the generator. Trouble is, I can’t find any great options. So what is everyone using?!

I’m looking for:
1) Long run time (at least 24h but more would be great!)
2) Automatic turn on when the power goes out
3) Not too expensive
4) Not too many devices for a 200g system
5) I also have a 40 gallon and 20 gallon to consider

There are a lot of devices on Amazon with lithium batteries but none of them auto turn on when the power is cut, they’re just rechargeable battery bubblers. I do like the recharge factor though; if I can find auto-on then it would be ready for the next outage.

All I can really find is these Penn Plax D cell bubblers. I’m ok with D batteries to get a 70 hour run time, but they’re only rated for 29 gallons. So I’d need…. 6-7 of them?! Or is 29 gallon capacity “conservative” or maybe it’s too liberal meant for freshwater?

I’m just finding it hard to believe there aren’t more auto-on backup bubbler options out there.

I’ve thought about the Icecap v3 battery for the big tank but it’s $170, I only go on vacation 1-2 times a year, only provides 12 hours, and at the rate that my UPS and iPhone batteries go bad it wouldn’t be any good in a few years when I need it. Even a large UPS (cheaper batteries to replace) would only get me about 7 hours on the wave pumps. Any other ideas?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of an auto on bubbler. So I'm tagging along. On my 255gallon, I have ecotech battery backup. I used to use it for my tunzes. Now I have mp40's on it. On frag tank I have icecap v3 on redsea pumps. This is the only auto on type devices I know of. Bubblers I seen you have to be on site and drop them in.

What pumps are on you aquariums? This may limit your battery backup options.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are far smaller tank but it says they are auto on. :thinking-face: Screenshot_20220928-074659_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cobalt rescue air

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hurricane season, but also I’ve had a plan for a while to get battery bubblers to throw on the tanks when I go on vacation. If I’m home, I’ll just use the generator. Trouble is, I can’t find any great options. So what is everyone using?!

I’m looking for:
3) Not too expensive

There are a lot of devices on Amazon with lithium batteries but none of them auto turn on when the power is cut, they’re just rechargeable battery bubblers. I do like the recharge factor though; if I can find auto-on then it would be ready for the next outage.

All I can really find is these Penn Plax D cell bubblers. I’m ok with D batteries to get a 70 hour run time, but they’re only rated for 29 gallons. So I’d need…. 6-7 of them?! Or is 29 gallon capacity “conservative” or maybe it’s too liberal meant for freshwater?

I’m just finding it hard to believe there aren’t more auto-on backup bubbler options out there.

I’ve thought about the Icecap v3 battery for the big tank but it’s $170, I only go on vacation 1-2 times a year, only provides 12 hours, and at the rate that my UPS and iPhone batteries go bad it wouldn’t be any good in a few years when I need it. Even a large UPS (cheaper batteries to replace) would only get me about 7 hours on the wave pumps. Any other ideas?
For 15 years or so I used the auto bubblers like you described (the brand I have has been discontinued for years). As part of my travels I used them. And they were instrumental when we lost power for 5 days a while back. One stream of bubbles, placed low in the tank, can keep things alive for quite a while. And I think 2 would be OK in a 200 gallon tank.

But now I have 3 battery backups for my mp40’s. That is a much better solution for me. As you mentioned, battery life is an issue. So I replace each battery (diy battery only about $40) every 4 years on a rotating schedule. I have one mp 40 on one battery and one mp 40 on 2 batteries.

A quick check on BRS tells me you might have trouble getting any battery powered pumps right now.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of an auto on bubbler. So I'm tagging along. On my 255gallon, I have ecotech battery backup. I used to use it for my tunzes. Now I have mp40's on it. On frag tank I have icecap v3 on redsea pumps. This is the only auto on type devices I know of. Bubblers I seen you have to be on site and drop them in.

What pumps are on you aquariums? This may limit your battery backup options.
I’m using Icecap Gyre’s (Maxspect compatible) so the Icecap v3 battery or similar would work. For about 12 hours anyway. It’s an option for sure but expensive and who knows what the battery life will be in 1, 3, 4 years etc.
Tagging along.
The only thing for this function that i have ever found is something like this
Ebay
Looks really makeshift though
Yeah I found the below DIY too. The issues with this are 1) takes a lot of space and is kind of messy and 2) I’m very concerned about this kind of current especially in a DIY device. Not in making it, but just in terms of it setting my house on fire down the road. There’s no breaker, cutoff, failsafe, etc.
These are far smaller tank but it says they are auto on. :thinking-face: Screenshot_20220928-074659_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Yep! Those are the ONLY ones I found. I bought 2; if nothing else to use on my 20g and 40g tanks.
Cobalt rescue air
I’ll look into that!

For 15 years or so I used the auto bubblers like you described (the brand I have has been discontinued for years). As part of my travels I used them. And they were instrumental when we lost power for 5 days a while back. One stream of bubbles, placed low in the tank, can keep things alive for quite a while. And I think 2 would be OK in a 200 gallon tank.

But now I have 3 battery backups for my mp40’s. That is a much better solution for me. As you mentioned, battery life is an issue. So I replace each battery (diy battery only about $40) every 4 years on a rotating schedule. I have one mp 40 on one battery and one mp 40 on 2 batteries.

A quick check on BRS tells me you might have trouble getting any battery powered pumps right now.
Really good info there! I’m sure it depends on stocking and things like that but yeah it brings into question exactly what bubbler ratings even mean. Not to mention what might keep stuff alive vs. “ideal” oxygenation. Unfortunately there’s no way to know for sure except experimentally so this experience is valuable. Might just be worth the risk for a really simple cheap solution!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kedsum Usb rechargeable air pump. Comes with the pump, airline, airstones and two check valves and it’s $26 on Amazon. They have two modes, always on and 10 seconds on/10 seconds off. I love them. Great emergency bubbler.

Edit: These don’t automatically turn on. But I found them useful during our brief Hurricane Ian outage.
BAED2765-9DBF-4A28-857A-75CB65031A94.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kedsum Usb rechargeable air pump. Comes with the pump, airline, airstones and two check valves and it’s $26 on Amazon. They have two modes, always on and 10 seconds on/10 seconds off. I love them. Great emergency bubbler.

Edit: These don’t automatically turn on. But I found them useful during our brief Hurricane Ian outage.
BAED2765-9DBF-4A28-857A-75CB65031A94.jpeg
This is what I looked at for a while and almost bought some until I realized no auto-on. If I’m home, I can just use my generator.
Cobalt runs for 24 hours and they automatically turn on. I use them in all my tanks just in case I am at work.

Yes!! You’re a better searcher than me! I’ve looked and looked on Amazon and beyond. One question; if power goes out it turns on. If the power comes back on does it turn back off? Not a big deal either way I guess.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb for airflow minimums? It looks like FW recommends 1 GPH per gallon. This one says 50 GPH (probably less IRL) so probably more than the Penn Plax based on its recs. Per above, granted, we’re talking emergency here and anything might save the tank, but I’m just thinking about rule of thumb.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I looked at for a while and almost bought some until I realized no auto-on. If I’m home, I can just use my generator.

Yes!! You’re a better searcher than me! I’ve looked and looked on Amazon and beyond. One question; if power goes out it turns on. If the power comes back on does it turn back off? Not a big deal either way I guess.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb for airflow minimums? It looks like FW recommends 1 GPH per gallon. This one says 50 GPH (probably less IRL) so probably more than the Penn Plax based on its recs. Per above, granted, we’re talking emergency here and anything might save the tank, but I’m just thinking about rule of thumb.

During a hurricane like last night you can’t use the generator until it passes so if you’re home it can still help you. But yes definitely auto on if you aren’t going to be home.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No these do not turn back off automatically once power returns. I do not mind that though as it tells me to check things since the power did go out.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the penn plax silent b11 during the iowa derecho 2 years ago. I was out of power for 2 weeks. I used 2 on my 75 gallon with just unrestricted airline and a drilled pvc pipe for weight. Two D cell lasted me 6 days. I have it plugged in for auto on for 6 months, but all of them somehow broke and didnt turn on automatically. But when i unplugged them then Imanually turn them on, it worked.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sell these at work, they are the first auto ones I've personally seen, only one battery it seems , Unsure of run time but the only people that brought them back wanted ones that didn't auto detect for unknown reasons. Let me know if you can see the amazon link... it says its there but I can't see it... Aquatop AC/DC single battery airpump

willnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m looking for:
3) Not too expensive

I found one on Amazon. It's charges using USB leave it plugged in when power goes out it's built in battery will kick in automatically. It can be set on intermittent or steady on. Battery life depends on choosing one of those modes. On amazon it's called Skywin Fish Aerator Pump. Now I'm not sure how many of these you'd need, but I'd imagine a larger on is out there somewhere.
Or you can get a backup battery pack some of these automatically turn on in power outage, then you could plug any air pump into battery.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems most of the rechargeable auto on units dont turn off when power is restored.
This wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as long as it turned on when power was lost.

willnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems most of the rechargeable auto on units dont turn off when power is restored.
It won't hurt anything for it to be on for a while. I run mine 24/7 to help keep my PH regulated and clowns love playing in the bubbles. I have a micro bubble stone on it to help oxygenate the water 24/7. I'll turn it off every now and then but my clowns get mad and pout in corner until I turn it back on. It never has harmed my 13.5 gal EVO in the slightest.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use2 of the Penn plax ones in my 100g and 6 in my 260g. I use black airline tubing and a black airstone against a black wall so it doesn't really show much. Plus they're up against the overflow box which tends to be a darker corner.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back