What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be aggressive, just looking at it from a different lens. They can survive because Vertex is not primarily a controller company, they can certainly survive despite the problems with the development of a single product.

True, Apple has had several huge failures over the years.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be true, but it doesn't really eliminate the concerns. Even if they had limited to no input on the design, they had their name on the system and represented it as their own. If you accept that they had no control and limited to no knowledge of the system and it's actual capabilities, then all of the claims were made in ignorance. Beyond that, it also means have a company with no experience in technical design and development creating a controller from scratch. If this is the case, it wouldn't be surprising that they would have no idea about the timeline, but why give a timeline at all? It would have been better to assemble a development team and then give a date after people with experience had had time to develop a timeline.

The main problem I have with all of this is it seems to be neither transparent nor honest on Vertex's part. Even if one accepts that another company was designing the controller and that there may have been some sort of non-disclosure agreement, when you objectively look at the history of the project and their claims it's hard to have a positive view of either the controller or Vertex's development of it, what ever their role may be.

Whatever my views, time will tell. For the sake of the people who put down there money a few years ago (and for the reefing community as a whole, to be honest,) I hope that Vertex does come out with a solid, viable controller soon.

On a different note, where did VII (7) come from? There's only one previous version that I'm aware of. Is there another meaning to it?

Edit - I think @gcarroll is right about Vertex; the issues/failure of the first Cerebra release may have tarnished their reputation a bit but assuming they haven't overextended themselves financially on its development they should be able to weather it. If they mess up the next release it will be very hard for them to convince people to buy any subsequent controller they may release.
Agreed.

VII is Version II, or Version 2. I consider that a poorly thought out name for a Version Two.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that when people who received the V1 units disassembled them they found components that were several years old, as well as a version of Android that was several years old also raises questions.
Not defending or supporting .. but just stating ..When you Start a design platform its based on the tech available at that time, If you upgrade processors or operating systems midway it would be almost a redesign or a never ending processes, The space shuttle project started with a AB PLC-2 and at launch the far superior PLC-5 was already the industry standard, I believe the design team was over their head on this or its possible the managers or customer changed direction mid course.......Then there is those in the business world that think..... "9 women can make a baby in a month"

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Vertex has got their new website up at least now. A short video on cerebra v2 included...

https://www.vertexaquaristik.com/us/en/news/Cerebra Trailer/

Website is nice, but appears to have a lot of kinks to work out. The detail on their existing equipment is great. A lot of stuff is missing, coming soon, or doesn't work. The black background kinda makes it hard to see and navigate?

Edit - I think (hope) the video is supposed to be longer. Lol

Last edited:

Ehunforfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is a rendered v2 that plays for about 9 seconds before the video cuts out...is that just me?

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did it for me as well. I guess they want us to stare at it for special effect. I really hate how they have tied up the money of those who trusted them. It’s simply bad business, I’m sure it will catch up to them if they don’t make things right soon.

Pauley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! I love that not even the video advertising the Cerebra works right!

I hope this company doesn’t ultimately devolve into some kind of strange aquarium supply ponzi scheme. :rolleyes:

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s like a mouse running on one of those wheels. They never get anywhere. It’s pretty similar to the original video they posted when they put the original unit on the market. From the looks of it, the power bar is the same size as the original. The control box looks the same. I don’t see this ending well at all. The video says coming fall 2018. SURE and I have some ocean front property in Arizona, and from the front porch you can see the sea.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drama behind these has been crazy. I feel bad for anyone that put money into them. Took a long time for the contentious RC thread to die down with the vocal supporters, but seems even they have abandoned hope.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are completely correct in regards to beta testing. When Cerebra V1 came out, many people rushed in and completely forgot or ignored the fact that it was a beta release. Vertex did not hide that fact, so anyone expecting a fully working, bug free product has only their self to blame.

I think a big part of the problem was that the lone US vendor that was selling the V1s sold them as an "introductory offer" and didn't say anything about a beta release at first. They did start calling it a beta, but that was after the first couple groups had already placed orders. My unit was supposed to be in the second shipment coming to the US, so after another 4-5 week delay, I had to fight to get a refund.

I don't think this was done intentionally or anything like that, but I'd be lying if I said that didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth with the Vertex brand. As someone who's been in the IT field and software development management for close to two decades, I'm very familiar with the beta phase of a launch and that's something that needs to be crystal clear before a product is sold. With that being said, I suppose I should have put 2 and 2 together when it was selling for half of the eventual retail.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it wasn’t your fault. They were not upfront from the beginning. They didn’t have to send out test units to see the problems they had. I had isssues from day one with my unit. The updates they had us doing almost two or three times a week, often made things worse. I sold my unit while it was working ok, and before things went south. What I don’t understand is how they can stop supporting this unit for so long without recalling the units and refunding the money. No instead they offer to sell more products at a reduced price for a future unit that by the video looks a lot like the old unit with a second rate video. A unit that may have problems also.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked and the video is actually running for me now. Not too much information, but at least it works.
One thing I noticed when looking at the web page was that on page 3 where they have a schematic of the entire system, the Cerebra brain has a raspberry in the corner. Are they using a raspberry pi platform?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked and the video is actually running for me now. Not too much information, but at least it works.
One thing I noticed when looking at the web page was that on page 3 where they have a schematic of the entire system, the Cerebra brain has a raspberry in the corner. Are they using a raspberry pi platform?

Yes they are. The Rpi3b is the base of the controller.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No it wasn’t your fault. They were not upfront from the beginning. They didn’t have to send out test units to see the problems they had. I had isssues from day one with my unit. The updates they had us doing almost two or three times a week, often made things worse. I sold my unit while it was working ok, and before things went south. What I don’t understand is how they can stop supporting this unit for so long without recalling the units and refunding the money. No instead they offer to sell more products at a reduced price for a future unit that by the video looks a lot like the old unit with a second rate video. A unit that may have problems also.

They were dishonest and slow in response from the beginning and when a question was submitted, they ditched and stated to check the forum.
Their lack of contact and communication along with False promises and target dates have been a huge turn -off to the point I disposed of all and any equipment I had from them. They have jerked the hobbyists around and still hide in the dark
Promises of new release was made: Feb 2017, then it was July 2017...then delayed but slated for RAP...fall of 2017 with HUGE announcement of release in January 2018. Then was the silence backed by newest announcement of November 2018.(which I am not buying their promise). I have a beta unit- UNTOUCHED and SEALED yet in box , which based on poor feedback of beta unit which told me why bother to try it.

This is a huge industry and huge risk to them to pull such a stunt. In the mean time, they have developed and marketed other good rather than focus on a serious issue with many UNHAPPY aquarist who too have felt burnt and lost their trust and confidence.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back